Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on yesterday and I did the key dance and got the P0172 code.

"Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1."
What do you think? Should I take it to the dealer and have them check it out? Still seems to run ok.

Or should I see if it continues.:ugh2:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New info. A few days ago I bought 5 gallons of kerosene for my garage heater. I thought the smell in my Commander was from some spillage. I've been driving with a windo open and sometimes with the rear hatch window open.

WRONG. The smell is gasoline and it's very strong. The last couple of times I started my XK, it took longer for it to start. Never before have I had it crank for more than a second to start. These last 2 times it was like about 3 seconds.

So obviously, with the very strong gasoline smell, there is something wrong. So first thing in the morning I'm going to the dealer. They're only open 4 hours tomorrow, so I hope they can remedy it in that time.

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mechanic at the dealership found a break in the fuel line in the engine compartment. They're ordering a new fuel line and gave me a loaner. They said that might cause the code. They'll install the fuel line and we'll drive it a few miles and see if it still needs the service for the rich condition in the exhaust.

I'm lucky the thing didn't catch fire.

After all the problems reported with dealers I am pleased with my dealership in Clio. They didn't have to give me a free loaner. And they got me in right away on a Saturday morning with no appointment to check it out. Of course, I have been going to them regularly for scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'm just talking to myself, but to wrap this up...

The dealer replace the broken fuel line and drove a few miles with the scanner tool hooked up and it threw no more codes. They (and I) think it was related to the break in the gas line.

Anyway, I'm glad to have my Commander back. $215 dollars lighter but glad to have the fuel not spraying out in the engine compartment. That could have been really bad. As I said earlier I thought the fuel smell was some spillage of the kerosene can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad to hear that everything is all fixed up. $215 is a good chunk of money but it could have been much worse. you could have been several thousand out if it were to catch fire.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear that everything is all fixed up. $215 is a good chunk of money but it could have been much worse. you could have been several thousand out if it were to catch fire.
Thanks Patrick. I agree totally. The price was very fair in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sorry I missed your thread. I was gone for the past week and a half doing Army stuff. As soon as I started reading your post I the first thing that came to mind was a bad fuel line. lol Well im glad you got it figured out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts