Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
My gasket stayed on the canister. I took it off, cleaned it, put it back on the canister, and then put the new ESIM on.

I'm too drunk right now to remember if the Oring is keyed or not, but just pay attention.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks @Aerogt01 I'll definitely pay extra attention to how everything is installed as I'm disconnecting the leak detection pump.

Is there a need to put anything on the gasket prior to putting it on?? Kinda like putting some oil on the oil filter gasket prior to installing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
My gasket stayed on the canister. I took it off, cleaned it, put it back on the canister, and then put the new ESIM on.

I'm too drunk right now to remember if the Oring is keyed or not, but just pay attention.
I laughed out loud when I read this.....:smile2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Today I finally had time to get the Leak Detection Pump and gasket swapped out. The old gasket did stay on the charcoal canister. I removed it and put the new gasket on the canister and then attached the new pump. Nice and simple!!

I didn't have the computer to reset the check engine light, so I removed the battery cable for 20 minutes or so. Reconnected everything and then drove it around the block.

Hopefully this is the fix for my P0456 code!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My check engine light came back on yesterday, exactly a week after changing the Leak Detection Pump and gasket. I checked and verified that it's the P0456 code again.

So I've changed the gas cap, the Vapor Canister Purge Valve and now the Leak Detection Pump. Any suggestions as far as what to look at changing out next for this code??

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
My check engine light came back on yesterday, exactly a week after changing the Leak Detection Pump and gasket. I checked and verified that it's the P0456 code again.

So I've changed the gas cap, the Vapor Canister Purge Valve and now the Leak Detection Pump. Any suggestions as far as what to look at changing out next for this code??
@dar124;

Causes

Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:

• A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
  • A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
  • The EVAP Canister may be leaking

Possible Solutions

First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0456

·
Registered
36 Posts
@dar124;

Causes

Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:

• A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
  • A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
  • The EVAP Canister may be leaking

Possible Solutions

First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0456

Ok, I was trying to replace some of the "easier" or cheaper items hoping to fix this myself. But it may be time to have this taken in somewhere to have a smoke test done on it as it seems like it might be one of the EVAP hoses leaking. When I was changing the Leak Detection Pump and gasket I looked at some of the hoses under there and none had any obvious holes or tears. Not sure how easy those lines would be for me to replace anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Ok, I was trying to replace some of the "easier" or cheaper items hoping to fix this myself. But it may be time to have this taken in somewhere to have a smoke test done on it as it seems like it might be one of the EVAP hoses leaking. When I was changing the Leak Detection Pump and gasket I looked at some of the hoses under there and none had any obvious holes or tears. Not sure how easy those lines would be for me to replace anyway.
If you want to solve the problem, I'd surmise that a smoke test, at a reputable shop, is probably you're best bet at this point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you want to solve the problem, I'd surmise that a smoke test, at a reputable shop, is probably you're best bet at this point.

Yep, I agree with taking it into a shop at this point.. And in my attempts to fix this myself, at least I know that a couple of the other emission components have been replaced!!

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Yep, I agree with taking it into a shop at this point.. And in my attempts to fix this myself, at least I know that a couple of the other emission components have been replaced!!
Absolutely @dar124 and there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So ... I'm back at it at least for a little bit longer trying to get rid of this P0456 code!! This past weekend I replaced the Vapor Canister on the Commander. I figured this was the last piece that I could easily replace on my own with out taking it into a shop. I removed the battery cable to clear the check engine light and it's been off since Sunday, so fingers crossed!! I've got to travel for work tomorrow, so I'll be putting some miles in and at least one tank of gas.

If it eventually comes back on, I'm also considering purchasing (another) new gas cap. But this time I'll make sure it's a genuine Mopar cap, like this one https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/oem-jeep-gas_cap.html?Make=Jeep&Model=Commander&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()

I'll post back with any updates!!

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
So ... I'm back at it at least for a little bit longer trying to get rid of this P0456 code!! This past weekend I replaced the Vapor Canister on the Commander. I figured this was the last piece that I could easily replace on my own with out taking it into a shop. I removed the battery cable to clear the check engine light and it's been off since Sunday, so fingers crossed!! I've got to travel for work tomorrow, so I'll be putting some miles in and at least one tank of gas.

If it eventually comes back on, I'm also considering purchasing (another) new gas cap. But this time I'll make sure it's a genuine Mopar cap, like this one https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/oem-jeep-gas_cap.html?Make=Jeep&Model=Commander&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()

I'll post back with any updates!!
That would have been one of the first things I tried for this code.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Yep, it was one of the first things I replaced too. I swapped the gas cap out with this https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/oem-jeep-gas_cap.html?Make=Jeep&Model=Commander&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()

But I wasnt 100% sure it was a Mopar cap since I got it from Amazon. If the Check Engine light comes back on, I figured I'd get one from a Mopar parts website or from the dealership.
@dar124; It says right in the product description it's a Genuine MOPAR part with a MOPAR part number, that's guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty; I'm kind of curious what made you think otherwise?

Mopar Part No.: 52102464AC
CAP-FUEL FILLER

Mopar 52102464AC CAP-FUEL FILLER

Part DescriptionCAP Fuel Filler
Replaced By52030433AB
ManufacturerMopar. This genuine Mopar part is guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@dar124; It says right in the product description it's a Genuine MOPAR part with a MOPAR part number, that's guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty; I'm kind of curious what made you think otherwise?

Mopar Part No.: 52102464AC
CAP-FUEL FILLER

Mopar 52102464AC CAP-FUEL FILLER

Part DescriptionCAP Fuel Filler
Replaced By52030433AB
ManufacturerMopar. This genuine Mopar part is guaranteed by Mopar's factory warranty.
It had been a while since I bought the replacement cap and looked at its description. Just the fact that it was from Amazon, made me wonder.

But looking closer at it now, I see that it was in fact a genuine Mopar part!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts