Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a code reader or code scanner. I get the gist of both but looking to clarify a few things.

A reader will only read basic codes- nothing else. Wont clear them or give you the "complete list" of codes.
A scanner will read a bigger variety of codes- the more expensive it is the more types of codes for the "list" and you can clear them depending on which one you buy.

Can something be both a reader and a scanner? Example:

The code reader is the orange one and the scanner is the black box- correct? It says FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 Scanner Professional Mechanic OBDII Diagnostic Code Reader Tool for Check Engine Light as the name for the orange one. The OBD2 Scanner doesnt mean its a scanner just that it looks for the OBD2 codes? I have no plans on spending the money to buy what I linked right now but I would like something that will take my oil change notice off. The last place I took it to forgot to reset it- I am like 1k miles away from actually needing another oil change.

Suggestions on what you have and use would be super sweet too!

Reactions: Richard Davey

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander limited with 5.7 HEMI 2" OME lift. CAI and some other odds and ends.
9 Posts
I myself use this one from Amazon which is Bluetooth and connects to your phone, you then download a free or pay app like Torque and you can read and clear codes as well as monitor other things on the jeep itself. Code Scanner

·
Registered
51 Posts
You want one that will both read and clear codes. Beyond that, the capabilities of different scanners generally depend on how much you pay for them, with the best costing $$$ thousands. What you need depends on what you want to use it for, and the brand of vehicle that you have.

There are both Bluetooth readers where you use an app on your phone as well as standalone ones like you found on Amazon.

If you haven't used one before, try picking up one at Harbor Freight. They have a selection from really cheap to several hundred $$. I picked up one of the better ones at Harbor Freight few years ago and use it all of the time to diagnose issues and try to repair.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
108 Posts
what 1shot shows is similar to what i have been using as well. Tourque has been able to clear all the codes the commander, (and expedition, volvo, and a few others) have thrown at me. I am going to try to connect the bluetooth on my laptop for the heavier duty mopar software later this week. will update when i try that out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Foxwell NT 301 and it does read and erase codes as well. Works fine on my 2010,

·
Registered
06 Jeep commander limited 5.7 QTII black
38 Posts
I am looking into getting a code reader or code scanner. I get the gist of both but looking to clarify a few things.

A reader will only read basic codes- nothing else. Wont clear them or give you the "complete list" of codes.
I bought one from Canada BlueDriver it is able to reset and has live data it has been good so far. Just FYI.
A scanner will read a bigger variety of codes- the more expensive it is the more types of codes for the "list" and you can clear them depending on which one you buy.

The code reader is the orange one and the scanner is the black box- correct? It says FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 Scanner Professional Mechanic OBDII Diagnostic Code Reader Tool for Check Engine Light as the name for the orange one. The OBD2 Scanner doesnt mean its a scanner just that it looks for the OBD2 codes? I have no plans on spending the money to buy what I linked right now but I would like something that will take my oil change notice off. The last place I took it to forgot to reset it- I am like 1k miles away from actually needing another oil change.

I have the Foxwell NT 301 and it does read and erase codes as well. Works fine on my 2010,

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts

@Colonel08 ;

The short answer is Yes;

They will be the more expensive ones, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for;

This is what I use;

If you go down to Post # 15 below, you'll get a good overview of it;

Tuner/ Programmer Suggestions? | Jeep Commander Forum

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad gave me the Innova 3160RS when he heard that I was looking around at them. It has an erase button but no instructions. I dont wanna erase anything until I drop it off at the shop but I couldnt figure out how to erase the oil change light. Hahaha

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
190 Posts
I myself use this one from Amazon which is Bluetooth and connects to your phone, you then download a free or pay app like Torque and you can read and clear codes as well as monitor other things on the jeep itself. Code Scanner
Lots of good info here. I just picked up that same code reader @1ShotLeft It should be delivered this week. It should have plenty of functions for what I want to do with it. Looking forward to trying it out w/ a few different phone apps!!

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander limited with 5.7 HEMI 2" OME lift. CAI and some other odds and ends.
9 Posts
Lots of good info here. I just picked up that same code reader @1ShotLeft It should be delivered this week. It should have plenty of functions for what I want to do with it. Looking forward to trying it out w/ a few different phone apps!!
I like to use the Torque app to run extra gauges while driving.
Speedometer Light Font Measuring instrument Gauge

Reactions: patf111

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
190 Posts
I like to use the Torque app to run extra gauges while driving.
View attachment 43496
Do you use the Torque Pro or Torque Lite version of the app?? I initially just wanted to be able to clear codes. But now I'm thinking it'd be worth it to have additional functionality and also having access to some live data will be nice!!

I got the code reader yesterday. So I'll be getting into the apps here shortly!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you use the Torque Pro or Torque Lite version of the app?? I initially just wanted to be able to clear codes. But now I'm thinking it'd be worth it to have additional functionality and also having access to some live data will be nice!!

I got the code reader yesterday. So I'll be getting into the apps here shortly!!
I use the pro version. I had to download the additional pid data for the transmission temp sensor.

Reactions: patf111 and dar124
1 - 12 of 12 Posts