Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have added one of the cold air intakes, can you ring in on what mileage you have after the install?

Please include your motor size and who's cold air intake you are using.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I had the Brute Force on the HEMI, not sure it really helped with gas mileage but the power was noticeable.

I now have the snorkel and picked up about 1.5 to 2 MPG.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm also curious about this topic. Can anyone chime in if they have a 3.7L with the K&N intake (63-1545). Currently stock, I'm averaging about 15.4mpg.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
the read out on the commanders computer for me was an immediate 2 MPG increase. right now I'm keeping a log of miles per tank and I'll be able to ring in the true gains after about 2000 miles I'm guessing. Highway I'm getting a solid 19 ready out and city approximately 15. In my opinion it was totally worth it, definite notice a quicker response and the sucking sound when my music is off, windows down and in idle at a quiet intersection. when you really punch it the engine sounds a lot better as well. my commander is a 3.7 and I just put in a K&N CAI two weekends ago. install wasn't bad at all, I consider myself a novice to engine work and I found it simple. i have some pics if you'd like to see them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Any time I have used a K & N filter on my cars and trucks, I've gained about 1 MPG. I have a new K & N flat filter ordered for my commander and will report in on the actual difference. Should arrive this week.

·
Registered
954 Posts
my commander is a 3.7 and I just put in a K&N CAI two weekends ago. install wasn't bad at all, I consider myself a novice to engine work and I found it simple. i have some pics if you'd like to see them.
Hey VMI11, I'd be interested on seeing some pics, do you have them posted somewhere? I was considering this mod for my 3.7 as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5.7L w/aFE CAI

I gained about 1-2 mpg, but that is just a side effect...horsepower and tourque were the noticeable gains...

·
Registered
195 Posts
K&N filter.....no difference in MPG (but sounded sooooooo much cooler). Also added cat back exhaust and chipped it....still nothing major in terms of mpg. City driving just stinks for these vehicles. HWY I got a respectable 17 mpg over 1200 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i am looking to buy an CAI but i just drove to tx. and back and got about 17.9 mpg (3600 mile round trip). i have 08 4.7 qd2. does anyone think that it would make a big diffrance with a CAI.
i am thinking that a flow mater 50 suv muffler would help more with mpg and sounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
K&N filter.....no difference in MPG (but sounded sooooooo much cooler). Also added cat back exhaust and chipped it....still nothing major in terms of mpg. City driving just stinks for these vehicles. HWY I got a respectable 17 mpg over 1200 miles.
I have alway read that most chips are just cheap resistors and really do nothing. Where did you buy yours and how did it work?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Does anyone think the extra 20 hp or so would help keep the 8/4 cylinder in 4 mode contributing to extra mpg? Seams like the econ mode at 65 or greater kicks off with a 1% grade on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '06 Limited Hemi I bought used with 43k... it now has about 51k and the mileage readout on the computer averaged to a solid 15.2mpg. I hadn't changed the air filter since I bought it, so I threw a cheapo paper filter in there and my mileage readout bumped to an average of 16.1mpg. This is combination hwy/cty commute to work at over 5000 ft which is most of my driving. I recently changed the oil to Royal Purple and have noticed (because the weather is cooling off and possibly the oil) the engine runs cooler and my mileage readout has dropped to around 15.7mpg. My future tests will include a CAI and E3 plugs (not necessarily in that order). I hope to see better gains with these mods.

Edit: I am also running the DiabloSport 87 octane tune.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am waking this thread back up.

I have an AEM 21-8306DC Brute Force intake waiting to be installed. Once I get it bolted in I will report fuel ecnomy changes.

My 2010 Hemi XK exhaust has been changed to a Magnaflow 16665 for a few weeks now. Besides the great sound, no mpg improvement is apparent.

Presently the average seems to be about 13.4 mpg (80% hwy / 20% city).

Has anyone seen improvements on their Hemi's mpg with an intake change --- IF they keep their foot out of it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here is an update from last week:

I had seen no mileage improvement with the AEM CAI, but, the sound at WOT is a mpg-killer. When I stand on the throttle, the meek Hemi (now inhales and exhales better) wakes up and you and other drivers hear its thunder. AWESOME :) .

On Tuesday I tuned the Hemi with a Superchips 3875. I never disconnected the battery for the CAI, so I wonder if the CAI with a stock tune and the PCM reset (to re-learn) would have helped mpg. However, after the 87 Tune, the Hemi is returning much better hwy mpg numbers.

I will continue to track closely. I have been using http://www.fuelly.com to record my mpg since I purchased the XK new last spring. Following the new exhaust, intake and tune, I have watched the Average Fuel Economy guage on the rig jump on my normal commute from 15's to 18 mpg. That is indeed significant. I think it is a combination of intake, exhaust and (maybe) the tune.

Overall, mixed driving mileage is up 1 -1.5 mpg. That is saving me about $9 a fill-up. The payback at $3.20/gal will take just over a year.

Just the sound and increased throttle response from the AEM CAI alone was worth the price of admission.

Chuck

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does anyone think the extra 20 hp or so would help keep the 8/4 cylinder in 4 mode contributing to extra mpg? Seams like the econ mode at 65 or greater kicks off with a 1% grade on the highway.
Indy:

I saw no change with the CAI but I now have an easier time keeping the MDS active with the tune installed.

Shame on me --- I did not test MDS with a full PCM reset and stock tune. That would be interesting. I do not think disconnecting the battery will clear the PCM like changing the tune program will... just my .02 worth.

·
Banned
389 Posts
On my 4.7 I chose the K&N 63 Series because of proven track record on my 4.0 L Cherokee, noticeable sound improvement out of the 4.7 L engine, tell tale sucking sound...as far as mpg improvement nearly non-existent because I like to hammer down whenever I can but you do notice the extra 10 hp that K&N claims from the dyno. because the throttle response (especially just off idle) is greatly improved. The K&N is also the best priced of your options.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Just bought an AEM Brute Force CAI. I'm getting 15-15.2mpg mixed city/hwy. and 17 hwy. When it gets here, I'll reset the PCM and install. Luckily, I'll be off on a trip to KY and OH, so I'll be able to get really solid hwy figures. I'll try driving 60-65-70 and see what difference MDS/CAI makes. I guess the MDS will disengage above 60 or in hilly areas. I''m planning on taking I-10 to I-55 on my first leg (mind-numbingly flat area of the country), so I'll do the 60 test then and record the results. I'll air the tires to 37lbs all around. All fluids are 8 weeks old, or less, and the plugs are 2 months old. This rig is stock and runs like buttah right now, so it's a good test subject. I'll let you all know what happens. In the meantime, here's a little cost analysis on the CAI ROI:

Cold Air Intake cost breakdown.

current mpg---15---------16--------16.5

annual Cost @ Per gal. price

$3.00----------$3,000----$2,813----$2,727
$3.50----------$3,500----$3,281----$3,182
$4.00----------$4,000----$3,750----$3,636
$4.50----------$4,500----$4,219----$4,091

annual Savings @ per gal. price

$3.00---------------------$188-------$273
$3.50---------------------$219-------$318
$4.00---------------------$250-------$364
$4.50---------------------$281-------$409

I overpaid a little because Amazon did not have any in stock, so I had to buy from another, more expensive vendor, due to the proximity of my trip. Cost delivered: $266; could have had it for $225.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Just bought an AEM Brute Force CAI. I'm getting 15-15.2mpg mixed city/hwy. and 17 hwy. When it gets here, I'll reset the PCM and install. No need to disconnect your battery or reset anything JeepJorge.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts