Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird one. It has dropped below 10 a few times over the past month and I have a problem that I can't identify. When I put stress on the drive train by hitting the gas (Not really hard, just your typical acceleration you would use if you were pulling into traffic), something is making a grinding/ratcheting noise in the front.

I am hoping it isn't the differential. I am thinking maybe a CV joint? It doesn't happen if it is warmer unless I accelerate with a hard right turn but will happen going straight if the temp is around 15-20 deg F or below.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help! Otherwise, my 2010 has been running like a dream with 55K miles on it.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may want to check out this thread, as it sounds like the same thing others of us are experiencing.
Thanks for the reply. I think mine may be different because it doesn't have a shudder. From the sound of that thread, it sounds like the kind of shudder you would get if it was in 4WL and turned abruptly. Mine is just a ratcheting/grinding noise that is almost imperceptible for the noise. (Although you can feel it ever so slightly)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Ontario and the temps have been -25C for weeks. I'm getting the exact same issue, but after everything warms up (after 20min driving) I can't get the noise to happen.

I've also tried fluid change, didn't work. My U-Joints are starting to seize so that means a whole new drive shaft (non-servicable u-joints). I will let you know how that goes sometime next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After replacing the front drive shaft the noise is still there.

I will be replacing the front differential actuator this week and will report back.

Any luck for yourself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a weird one. It has dropped below 10 a few times over the past month and I have a problem that I can't identify. When I put stress on the drive train by hitting the gas (Not really hard, just your typical acceleration you would use if you were pulling into traffic), something is making a grinding/ratcheting noise in the front.

I am hoping it isn't the differential. I am thinking maybe a CV joint? It doesn't happen if it is warmer unless I accelerate with a hard right turn but will happen going straight if the temp is around 15-20 deg F or below.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help! Otherwise, my 2010 has been running like a dream with 55K miles on it.
Just chiming in (sorry, I don't have any solutions) but my jeep is doing the same thing. I don't notice anything when turning, I just notice it on a straight-line, while "not warmed up", while accelerating hard but not pedal to the metal. It's audible and i can feel it ever so slightly in the floor and pedals. It's like a grinding noise/feeling... I think it only happens with cold temps outside -- but until it warms up around here I can't prove that theory.

·
1,993 Posts
The grinding ratcheting sound is what the computer sounds like when it senses wheel slip and kicks in. Since this goes away when it warms up has me pointed towards the HUB. That's where the WSS is located at. Mechanical failures don't fix them selves so things like drive shafts and CV joints shouldn't be the problem. A electrical sensor can how ever freeze up and have intermittent issues.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
This happens to me to. I just always assumed it was the front differential fluid. I thought it had something to do with it getting thicker at cold Temps and throwing off the sensor. mine will go away pretty quickly. It's been doing it only on very cold nights since I got it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would always go with trying a low cost sensor first, I had another vehicle that started with Ho.... which the company spent enough to replace a transmission, a computer module and wanted to replace the bottom of the distributor, except I told them that had been tried, only to find out it was a low cost sensor. Fortunately they covered all costs after my wife had a heart to heart with the service Mgr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So it was not the front differential actuator (although mine was shot anyways) but my mechanic will be changing the cv axles on Monday after seeing one of the boots cracked.

He also told me that if after "X" min of driving, the small amount of remaining grease may get just warm enough to work its way into any worn spots in the cv, thus making the noise go away.

I will report back when the cv's are changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I got both CV axles replaced and the noise is gone. The weather isn't -20C anymore either so that might be part of the solution.

Either way my Jeep is quiet again, now time to price wheels & tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts