Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow XK owners. I am making a road trip out to Colorado in September. I am arriving on Thursday, Sept 16th and leaving the state on Friday, Sept 24th. I thought it would be a great time to get together with one or more of you for some off roading. I am going to pass through the following areas: Breckenridge, Winter Park, Nederland, Steamboat Springs and Estes Park. If anyone has some spare time or wants to put together a little trip, please post below!

Hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Colroado Trip

If anyone is interested in getting a group together, chime in. I am happy to coordinate it and take your input as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will be camping in Northern Colorado the 17th-20th so that weekend is busy for me...people are welcome to come up my way to trail ride. There are several roads in the area with tons of aspen, many more are visible now that the forest service or someone is cutting out the bettle kill.
Otherwise I would be open to taking off a Wed. or Thurs following to ride (all depending on my work load).

Come on I know there is more than Just Mall Crawlers from Colorado registered on this site, Can't tell me that no one else takes advantage of this awesome state we have here....Chime in Fellas!

If anything head up my way near Gould. We'd love to hang out and add more to the party. Four wheelin, dirt biking, fishing and Bar-B-Q

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey NO MATTER,

I don't know if I will be up there during that time. It looks like I will be in the Breckenridge area on the 18th and 19th running trails with another forum member. Check out the link of one of the trails he wants to run:

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/saints_john/index.htm

If you are able to take another day off on Wed, count me in. What part of the state do you reside in?

Anyone else out there in jeepcommander.com land that may want to run with us? It would be fun to get a small group of XK's together! Come on guys and gals. Get off the paved road, you have a Jeep after all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be interested in going with you on the 18th or 19th on saints john. Maybe I can get off Friday the 17th to do something around Nederland, fairly close to Denver where I am at. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That would be great. I have sent you my email address via Private Message. Anyone else want to get in? I will also be there all of the next week if you can sneak away then instead of the Friday. I think I am busy with a friend out there on Friday.......... Give yourself a Tues or Wed off, you deserve it!

Have you ever run the Red Cone trail in Bailey? Apparently most 4x4 vehicles can make that trail if you have the balls. I'm not sure it I do, but let me know if you have heard about that trail. It doesn't look too difficult, just a little hairy especially coming down that hill.........

Unfortunately, this is the only footage I could find of that trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IspNFvpsBY&feature=related :rofl:

No seriously, the trail does not look very technical from what I have read, but my issue with heights would let me test my nerves a bit. I can overcome that though. Here is the best video of the worst part of the descent that I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QijaLScLfQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IspNFvpsBY&feature=related If a couple of hippies in an old Wrangler can do it, we could, right?

I don't want to scare anyone off though. I've never done that steep of a descent in my XK, but I think 4 Lo in the XK would get it done. I don't need to go on a trail like this to have fun. I would be up for something more tame if it gets more people out on the trail.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Red Cone is one of the coolest trails on Earth. Getting up to the top takes a couple hours minimum as it's pretty rocky, but taking time to pick good lines keeps steel off rock and it's really not too bad. Once at the top, the view is epic. It's not often enjoyed much for first timers because of the anxiety of the fast approaching moment of no return... The descent is alarmingly steep. If you're a skier, it's like looking down a slope that descends out of sight, that is, you can't see the bottom from the top. It's a one way trail once you start down the hill, the powers that be don't like people attempting to climb back up. It's easy to stay on the trail and by keeping your momentum next to zero, it's actually a leisurely drive to the bottom. And you'll be amazed at how much assistance your seatbelt gives holding you in your seat! The reason it's classified as such a dangerous trail is if you do happen to really screw up and roll down the south face, you won't stop for about 1,400 feet. I don't think that's happened in years, though. It's all about trusting your own ability, in this case to drive slow and straight, and trusting your Jeep. Low range isn't quite low enough, but a light assist on the brakes keeps things slow. I've been over it on dirt bikes since 1983. My first actual trip over Red Cone in a Jeep was with my Commander in August of 2008. If we decide to switch (oh, I'm the "other forum member") to this trail, I won't be disappointed! My brother won't let us run it without him though, so we'd probably have a '98 ZJ going along with us. I will say this - a 2" lift and 265/70's greatly decrease the times you will tag either diffs or sliders on the way up, where there are occasional challenging lines. The hill (descent) itself is splintered shale and will not present any clearance issues.

Heading up to Red Cone, summit is upper left of photo. The scary south face is the reddish hill you see descending from the summit.

My XK approaching the summit.

Summit: 12,801 feet ASL.

Trail drops out of sight.

Fun!

The Lev-O-Gage showing about 25 degrees nose down. Doesn't sound like much, but it gets your attention.

Down at the bottom on the west side of Webster Pass. Heaven on Earth.

From here, an easy drive to Montezuma and Keystone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
NO FAIR
I wanna do Red Cone,I was going to a few weeks ago but did'nt have someone to follow me up so went to Kingston instead. lookin gover some of the trip reports looks like a spotter is required for some spots?
That trail is the one everyone raves about!
When I read your post about going to St John I was going to suggest Red Cone since its right there...oh well

·
Registered
419 Posts
Alas, I'm back in South Carolina now. Would love to take the Commander over Red Cone again.

I do hear that they've done even more smoothing out of the hair-raising ridges coming down, though. :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thread Revival

Just reviving this thread in hopes of adding to and tightening up a group. If anyone else is interested, even in some easier stuff, chime in. I will be out there for 10 days and we already have a couple of other members planning some trail runs. It would be a blast!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone? Hello XK world!

·
Banned
277 Posts
I may be interested in doing some light/moderate trails . I don't have skids or rails so I'd rather not attempt something that good lines and a 2" lift can't clear without damage...but let me know what you guys decide. Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A
I may be interested in doing some light/moderate trails . I don't have skids or rails so I'd rather not attempt something that good lines and a 2" lift can't clear without damage...but let me know what you guys decide. Thanks!
I would love to do the Red Cone and Saints John trail with you guys. According to traildamage.com, they claim any stock SUV can clear this trail. KMAX has done this trail so he can shed some light. I think we could pick our way through it if we spot for each other based on the trail reports and pictures. I will be arriving in Breckenridge Friday night for the weekend. We should all get on the same page quick since this is next weekend we are talking about........

Trail report: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=9

Be in touch!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Readcording: any thoughts on coming out with us? It would be nice to have a team of XK's hitting the trails! PM me with your email or phone number and I will get in touch with you.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Great ride today with KMAX and OnATrail! Everyone made it without any damage or recovery needed. Will post pics soon, and I'm sure OnATrail will post some of his video as well. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday, I ran Saints John Road with Airdog, KMAX and KMAX's brother. All 4 of us summited the peak on Saints John road. Airdog and I continued through the trail to North Fork Road and ended up back in Breckenridge. Very fun trails with just the right amount of technical spots. I had a Go Pro HD video camera mounted on the top of my XK so I got some great video. I will post video and pics once I get back home next weekend. Here is a sample photo taken from my cell phone for a teaser though of me and my version of the 3 wheel motion........

·
Banned
277 Posts
Nice teaser pic...I'm really looking forward to seeing that video!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
That was a great trip you guys - just enough fun parts to make it interesting without beating things up. I think we should plan a Red Cone trip when OnATrail can get back out here. Also, like we talked a little about, if we plan Red Cone for a weekday, there is significantly less Jeep traffic. Thanks again, my brother, my daughter an I all had a great time! Glad you found the egress route into Breck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts