Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres the deal. I am putting a pioneer aftermarket radio/nav in a 07 Commander with Boston Acoustics. I got everything from crutchfield (harness, can bus thing, antenna, ect..) I realize that you have to bypass the factory amplifier to make this work by plugging the crutchfield harness into the harness that would plug into the stock amp (left rear) and run the wires to the reciever location....?. The wiring seems streight forward...easy. But, (and this may seem like a dumb question) there are multiple sets of speakers on the commander (fronts, rears, front on dash, ....), and on the harness for the pioneer reciever there are only wires for front and rear speakers.....so.....how do I wire say the other speakers to the reciever, or can I only use 2 sets of speakers.
Thanx

I also may be thinking about this the wrong way, but I figured I would ask before I start ripping stuff apart.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm NOT a stereo expert, I know there are people on this board that can advise you better and go with their advice it sound better than mine.

BUT, basically;

You wire multiple speaker to one output by using a cross-over, i.e. it splits up the signal so the power goes to alternating speaker according to the frequency.

So, if the front has a speaker and tweeter, you'd wire them in parrallel and have a crossover on each speaker, that splits up the signal to go to each speaker appropraitely. Crossovers can be expensive.

BUT, a cheap way to do this and get away with it, is to just put a capacitor in series with the tweeter, the rating of the capacitor would determine the frequency range it will pass power to the tweeter. The capacitor will act like a cheap crossover for the tweeter. The regular speaker wouldn't have a crossover, but if it doesn't have a tweeter, its NOT going to use much of the high freq energy from the signal anyway and you can get away with NOT using a crossover on it.

Wiring more than one speaker in parrallel will drop the total impedance of the circuit. That can cause the impedance mismatch that everyone was talking about in the other thread.

BUT, if you wire tweeters in parrallel with regular speakers, and use a capacitor to block the low signal to the tweeter, then everything below that frequency will be the impendance of just the one speaker.

I think the Higher freqencies don't have as low an impedance as the total rating anyway, and NOT much energy gets drawn buy having having a tweeter in parrallel and blocked just for higher frequencies. I.E. no worries about clipping, blowing speakers or underdriving speakers at the high frequencies, its the low freqs to worry about. I could be wrong on that, but that is the way I wired up aftermarket on another vehicle I own and never had a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMMM, I dont think its a tweeter. I think there are 2 speakers on the dash, 2 in the front doors, 2 in the back, and a subwoofer (which will be lost wit the amp bypass), just trying to figure out how to get all the speakers to work.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If that is the case, again, need a better expert to confirm it;

Two 4 ohm speakers in parrallel would equal one 2 ohm speaker. If you have, or get an amp for 2 ohm speakers, then you could wire the two 4 ohm speakers on one channel in parrallel and it would draw the same amount of power as a single 2 ohm speaker.

I would definitely confirm that before spending money, but I believe that is how it works.

My guess, that might NOT provide the greatest fidelity, someone might recommend you need additional amps to provide power for each individual channel.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The BA amp is 6 channels. 2 channels for the rear doors - full range. 2 channels for the front doors - bass only. 2 channels for the dash - mids and highs only. There is no sub. I have never looked at the BA amp, so I don't know if there is even an output for a sub. It is located behind the driver's side panel, third row. Doesn't Crutchfield make a connecter so you can use the BA amp and factory speakers? :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The BA amp is 6 channels. 2 channels for the rear doors - full range. 2 channels for the front doors - bass only. 2 channels for the dash - mids and highs only. There is no sub. I have never looked at the BA amp, so I don't know if there is even an output for a sub. It is located behind the driver's side panel, third row. Doesn't Crutchfield make a connecter so you can use the BA amp and factory speakers? :eek:rangehat:
Crutchfield makes a harness that bypasses the factory amp which is in the rear panel of the vehicle, that harness runs from where the amp is to the reciever location. My concern is that there is only wiring for 4 speakers (2 front and 2 back) coming out of the pioneer reciever. So how do I make all 6 speakers work.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
When you took out your OEM head unit, there should have been two plugs - the smaller one is power and the larger one is speakers. Did you get some kind of harness to plug these into your new unit? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you took out your OEM head unit, there should have been two plugs - the smaller one is power and the larger one is speakers. Did you get some kind of harness to plug these into your new unit? :icon_confused:

yes, i have the crutchfield harness which connects in place of the amp and is run to the reciever location, so in short, yes I have the crutchfield harness. The harness has wiring for all 6 speakers, and the reciever only has output for 4 speakers (the harness that came with the aftermarket pioneer radio)

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Does the harness on the pioneer plug into the Crutchfield harness? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the harness on the pioneer plug into the Crutchfield harness? :icon_confused:
um, no..it splices in. The crutchfield harness plugs into the stock radio harnesss, and then splices into the pioneer harness which only has wiring for 4 speakers.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
um, no..it splices in. The crutchfield harness plugs into the stock radio harnesss, and then splices into the pioneer harness which only has wiring for 4 speakers.
I don't want to give you bad information. Do these connectors just have loose wires on the end? If so, you'll have to locate what wires go to what speaker, and combine the ones going to the front doors and dash. Or some type of crossover device.
Use the "search" function button, and type in speakers. There will be a list of threads. Go to: Aftermarket Nav/DVD/Btooth 2-Din install. There are members who have installed aftermarket units. I have not heard of this issue before, so I know there has to be a way around it. I did not replace my head unit - I only replaced my paper BA speakers. With the odd ball 6 channel system, the 6x9 speakers in the front door are one way speakers, not full range, so I don't know how these guys got around that issue, without using the BA amp. On the non BA Commanders, I do not know how those speakers are wired. Maybe the speakers are all full range. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your wiring should be like this:

Pioneer HD Unit ><pioneer HD unit wire harness - - -Crutchfield Adaptor><XK factory harness.

Both the crutchfield adaptor and the pioneer Hd Unit wire harness should have 4 leads (front/rear L and R). The change to 6 speakers will happen in the crutchfield adaptor to the XK factory harness. You will have to bypass the BA amp (or risk over driving it and blowing stuff).

Here is the thing however, bypassing the BA amp will also bypass the xover in the amp and send full signal to every speaker set. You should get some bass blockers for the dash speakers and either install some type of xover for the front doors or replace with full range speakers.

You should also impedence match the new head unit with the speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your wiring should be like this:

Pioneer HD Unit ><pioneer HD unit wire harness - - -Crutchfield Adaptor><XK factory harness.

Both the crutchfield adaptor and the pioneer Hd Unit wire harness should have 4 leads (front/rear L and R). The change to 6 speakers will happen in the crutchfield adaptor to the XK factory harness. You will have to bypass the BA amp (or risk over driving it and blowing stuff).

Here is the thing however, bypassing the BA amp will also bypass the xover in the amp and send full signal to every speaker set. You should get some bass blockers for the dash speakers and either install some type of xover for the front doors or replace with full range speakers.

You should also impedence match the new head unit with the speakers.
This is the adapter (bypass) that they gave me, and it has 6 speaker leads according to the diagram that crutchfield gave me.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120706504/Dodge-Jeep-Chrysler-In-dash-Stereo-Integration-Adapter.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
Correct - I have the basic set up as well but I did blow the stock dash speakers once everything was set up. I could not find a cross over between the door and the dash, so it had to happen in the stock head unit, which leads me to believe that it crosses over in the BA amp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
or maybe it has 2 sets of leads that are to be dead on commander (for a different vehicle) because If i can remember right, out of the 2 long harnesses they sent me, one of them had front and rear l and r and the other had 4 leads for some other speakers.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Correct - I have the basic set up as well but I did blow the stock dash speakers once everything was set up. I could not find a cross over between the door and the dash, so it had to happen in the stock head unit, which leads me to believe that it crosses over in the BA amp.
I was hoping that you would chime in on this, as you have done this installation, and save him from me! :( So, in the end, you did not use your BA amp? What is the power rating of the head unit, and how does it sound compared to the BA? Did you end up replacing all of your speakers, and if so, which ones did you get? :eek:rangehat:

The dash speakers are connected to the front door speakers. I dont have the BA but I have taken it down enough times.
Just out of curiosity, how is the non BA system wired? Are all of the speakers full range? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am heavily biased against any stock systems - upgraded or not. I tend to just rip everything out and replace. Take for example the BA system in the XK. From looking at a friends system with the BA option, the speaker cones still use paper cones w surrounds on them, not poly prop w/ butyl rubber like decent aftermarkets. The amps in these systems are usually no more than 10 w/ch continuous- - 15 if you are lucky and they are almost never MOSFET / class A/B design, so they give dirty sound. The impedence (as we have discussed) is dropped so it takes less power to develop the same volume, but that wipes the system of being capable of producing dynamic reproduction. Also since the sound is usually engineered to be very compressed and squashes the highs / lows.

I selected a unit with 18w/channel continuous and 40 w/channel peak MOSFET Class AB amp and it blows away pretty much anything stock. Its plenty loud (on the volume scale between 0 and 30 I never have had to put it past 20 even with windows down on the highway - and that is where you want to be so you have plenty of headroom), but more importantly it has good imaging, its clean and dynamic. I run the bass flat and treble at +1 with 1 click to the rear on fade. I also chose one with a separate sub out and added an amp and wedge type 10" sub behind the 2nd row (w velcro and enough lead to move it behind the 3rd row if needed). I set the head unit xover to the sub at 80Hz (I would like 60Hz but not an option on my headunit). Overall very balanced and clean.

When I blew the stock dash I was low on funds, so I changed everything out with mid line Pioneer speakers. Over time I upgraded those to Infinity Reference speakers. The pioneers were good, but not as efficient as the Infinity and I could not aim the tweeters in the 6x9's like I can with the Infinities.

Jimmyp - if you ordered from Crutchfield just give them a call - they had to walk me through the colors of the speaker wire since they all were different shades of brown/black/green/yellow. After hooking everything up I had a few speakers out of phase and they helped me solve that. They have always been very helpful when I ran into issues or problems.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I installed a system that I bought from Crutchfield, but I dont have the BA. I am local to Crutchfield and they are always very helpful and will answer any questions that I have even though I do the work myself. My system has a GPS and DVD and the guys out there actually told me how to bypass the parking brake deal ( thats a secret, shhh. ) Here is the local number to their store in Charlottesville. Ask for a guy named Z , if he is not there , anyone can help you out. 434-964-1382

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The dash speakers on the stock system are plain 1way speakers.
This is my replacement. Infiniti

Front door is a 3 way. Should have used a 1 way in the door....

Here is the door diagram

1 - 20 of 23 Posts