Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an air suspension system out there that can be fitted to the Commander>? If so whats the cost? Thanks for any info you have.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
None exists to fit the Commander out of the box. However you can mod up some mounting brackets to make one work. I think someone on the forum is in the process of doing it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
None exists to fit the Commander out of the box. However you can mod up some mounting brackets to make one work. I think someone on the forum is in the process of doing it.
I think YB Normyl was working on that

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm trying to find the right air springs for the set up I need, but there are a few places that will make up custom air suspensions for $1500 and up.
I'll post some links.

Took some measurements of the springs, shocks, and struts in preparation for an air lift.
Since no one makes an air lift kit for the Commander, I guess I'll have to piece one together.

Normal ride height/.....Fully extended/.AIRBAG dropped/..ride height/..extended..

Frt strut spring 10" /...........13"....../.........4"........../......6.5"...../......9.25"...../......2"-3" spacer on front bags

Rear spring .... 9.5"/..........12.5"...../.........6"........../.....10"......./......14".......

Rear shock ..20.75"/..........24"

Front

Rear

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know this may be the opposite direction you want to go in, but I have a lot of experience with air ride. I did a custom drop in my Acura and I had to do a lot of welding/customizing for fitment... so I know more than i should have. I would say whether you are looking for low or high rides it all comes down to the quality of the system.

#1) get compressors that run @100% cycle (dont shut off due to voltage variations, they wont overheat)
#2) Dont get too big of tank
#3) Get big enough airlines and high quality, dont cheap out
#4) Get the proper cylinder/bag. If you get a cheap one, it will leak and you will be paying big in the end

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had a complete EAI kit with 2 chrome viair 100% duty compressors

I used 1/2 lines because the front end was so heavy and it allowed for faster air transfer. I vowed never to do air ride again, but I honestly miss it. I blew out cylinders because of pressur problems, but EAI always replaced them for free.

If there was a set up for the Commander where I could get a good ride quality with NO air in the cylinder I would do it (with air bags I think you can somehow still utilize a stock strut) but I am not an expert with 4x4s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts