1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That's a serious telescope!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
nice pics! if you point that telescope at the horizon you can see the back of your own head. lol

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Do you view the images from the telescope or the computer monitor?

I have a nephew at Arizona State spends a lot of time in the lab, they never look at the stars, planets, etc.... just the data.

Makes me thing of Tommy Lee Jones in MIB, they dont look at the stars anymore....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Very cool, man. That's a SERIOUS telescope. Although, one that size... do they even call it a "telescope" anymore? Is it more like a "megascope" or something? Ha.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice pics. So what did you see in the sky?
Early on I looked at Jupiter - can see the bands on it and 4 of the moons like tiny pinpricks of light. When it got really good dark I was looking at "deep sky" objects - star clusters and galaxies.

Do you view the images from the telescope or the computer monitor? I have a nephew at Arizona State spends a lot of time in the lab, they never look at the stars, planets, etc.... just the data.
I designed and built a pretty much 'primitive' telescope. The only difference between it and the kind used 300 years ago is better optics. Some of the other guys have computers and tracking motors - they can punch in the name of an object and the telescope finds it. Not this one - I find things by referring to a star chart and moving the telescope around with my hands til I see it. More fun that way.

Very cool, man. That's a SERIOUS telescope. Although, one that size... do they even call it a "telescope" anymore? Is it more like a "megascope" or something? Ha.
Mine is actually a little on the small side. The primary mirror is 10 inches in diameter and the scope is about 46 inches tall. I've got it up on that little tripod stand to put the eyepiece at eye level, so I can comfortably stand up to use it. The other telescope in the picture is a little bigger. I've seen some with 16 inch or 20 inch mirrors. You have to stand on a stepladder to use them.

·
2,248 Posts
Now Lee wants a telescope. She happened to walk by just now as I was looking at this thread. Earlier today she got a fancy golf cart that is the same color as the Commander. I asked her why she needs it. Answer, The trash dumpster is a block away.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
any u.f.o.'s out there? lol...

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Don't laugh -- they are real.
this is one of the few times i agree with you. i definetly believe in them. remember i live in VEGAS where's a secret base that's not on the map.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
I do hope you are joking... Or.... Well that explains a lot!
I believe they are real. I just don't know if they are ours, or from outerspace, or from the future (time travel), or from another dimension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts