Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the time over the past couple of weeks to learn a little bit more about my Commander, I noticed something rather odd. The build date of my JC is 9/25/05. I would imagine that this is a rather early build date. The funny thing is the vehicle was inspected by my Jeep dealer in February of 2006. Typically dealers inspect vehicles as soon as they get them so they can sell them. Additionally, the vehicle had 22 miles on it at the time of the state inspection. What would explain the over four month difference between the build date and the apparent delivery to the dealer and the 22 miles on the odometer?:confused:

·
Registered
437 Posts
thats spooky

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where do you find the build date? Dealer had to order my JC... said it would take 6 - 8 weeks ... arrived in about 5 ... having many issues and concerns. Will really have an issue of the build date is prior to late Jan. '06 as I did not order until then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the build date in two locations. On the sticker located on the driver's door it indicates a manufacture date of 09/05. Additionally I have a copy of the build sheet which confirms the build date as 09/25/05.

·
Registered
476 Posts
lfdcapt said:
I found the build date in two locations. On the sticker located on the driver's door it indicates a manufacture date of 09/05. Additionally I have a copy of the build sheet which confirms the build date as 09/25/05.
Thanks... I will check those out. Will have to dig my build sheet out tonight. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My JC was built 09/10/05 and delivered to the dealership on 01/10/06 with zero miles, though! It had 18 miles on it when I bought it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still wonder where our Commanders sat for all of that time. Seems odd that DC would build vehicles and leave them sitting around for that long.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Not sure why quite that long, but they keep some of the first ones built back for quality inspections.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This thread got me curious so I checked my build date. My JC was built in June of 06! On one hand, I am happy since this may mean that alot of the first year bugs had been worked out before mine was built. On the other hand I'm thinking, sh*t, I may as well have waited and gotten a 2007. But then maybe mine is practically a 2007. It is Jeep Green, has the backup camera etc. Is there any info as to when production on the 2006's stopped and the production on the 2007's started? Anybody else have a build date after June 06?

·
Registered
71 Posts
bradfh said:
This thread got me curious so I checked my build date. My JC was built in June of 06! On one hand, I am happy since this may mean that alot of the first year bugs had been worked out before mine was built. On the other hand I'm thinking, sh*t, I may as well have waited and gotten a 2007. But then maybe mine is practically a 2007. It is Jeep Green, has the backup camera etc. Is there any info as to when production on the 2006's stopped and the production on the 2007's started? Anybody else have a build date after June 06?
This sounds like it is a 2007. My understanding was that you could not get Jeep Green on a 2006 model unless it was a 65th Edition. Had it been the other way around, I would've ordered a 2006 in Jeep Green.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Our Inferno Red Limited has a build date of 10/05. We wouldn't trade it for nothing! Had a radio and door panel replaced but no mechnical problems. :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My JC was built in June of 06. I asked my dealer about how it could have been built and arrive at the dealership in the same month, they said it takes about 2 weeks to get to the dealership after it was built. They also told me that the last 2 weeks that they were building the 2006's, new parts and accessories were added that would be in the 2007 models. So basically if your JC was built in June of 06, you have some 2007 parts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
lfdcapt said:
After taking the time over the past couple of weeks to learn a little bit more about my Commander, I noticed something rather odd. The build date of my JC is 9/25/05. I would imagine that this is a rather early build date. The funny thing is the vehicle was inspected by my Jeep dealer in February of 2006. Typically dealers inspect vehicles as soon as they get them so they can sell them. Additionally, the vehicle had 22 miles on it at the time of the state inspection. What would explain the over four month difference between the build date and the apparent delivery to the dealer and the 22 miles on the odometer?:confused:

Depends on the state, in NY the inspection has to be done within 30 days of the sale. So if you inspect it, and then it sits on the lot for four months then you have to inspect it again and pay for another inspection sticker. I have heard that some states do require an inspection before it even goes out on the lot, but can not confirm this. 22 miles isnt a lot, a couple of test drives could easily account for that especially if it was the first one they got. Most of the sales people would have at least taken it for a spin to check it out. They usually arrive at our dealership with 2-4 miles on them, but sometimes they have 10 or 20. I suspect they may use them to drive around the storage lots once in a while or it may have required service while in transit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ours had 2 miles on the inspection but 73 when we got it as they had to get it from another dealer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ours had 4 on od after inspection but 93 when we bought it. they used my Jc as a demo before we bought it.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
ktek01 said:
Depends on the state, in NY the inspection has to be done within 30 days of the sale. So if you inspect it, and then it sits on the lot for four months then you have to inspect it again and pay for another inspection sticker. I have heard that some states do require an inspection before it even goes out on the lot, but can not confirm this.
Dealers in New York do not perform the state inspection until a vehicle is sold...then the inspection becomes part of the new car prep. And the inspection is good for one year. BTW, I'm a licensed NYS inspector;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Dealers in New York do not perform the state inspection until a vehicle is sold...then the inspection becomes part of the new car prep. And the inspection is good for one year. BTW, I'm a licensed NYS inspector;)
So am I, and I am a Chrysler/Jeep Tech. Some dealers do a pre-prep and inspection, and then another when it is sold. Others do nothing until the car is sold, depends on how many spot deliveries they do. State law says it has to be within 30 days of the sale.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
ktek01 said:
So am I, and I am a Chrysler/Jeep Tech. Some dealers do a pre-prep and inspection, and then another when it is sold. Others do nothing until the car is sold, depends on how many spot deliveries they do. State law says it has to be within 30 days of the sale.
Within 30 days of the sale....that means a new owner has 30 days to get his/her new vehicle inspector after it is picked up from the dealer. Why would any dealer perform a state inspection on a vehicle before it is sold? You know as well as I do that an inspection on a new vehicle is quick and easy--just safety, no emissions. Just check all the lights/wipers/horn and you're pretty much set. No delay for spot deliveries. And even if they did perform the inspection before the vehicle is sold, the inspection is good for one year, so the person who buys the vehicle will not have to get it re-inspected until it is due again at the one year mark. I'm not sure where you got the idea that a vehicle sitting on the lot has to be re-inspected after four months.

·
Registered
204 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Within 30 days of the sale....that means a new owner has 30 days to get his/her new vehicle inspector after it is picked up from the dealer. Why would any dealer perform a state inspection on a vehicle before it is sold? You know as well as I do that an inspection on a new vehicle is quick and easy--just safety, no emissions. Just check all the lights/wipers/horn and you're pretty much set. No delay for spot deliveries. And even if they did perform the inspection before the vehicle is sold, the inspection is good for one year, so the person who buys the vehicle will not have to get it re-inspected until it is due again at the one year mark. I'm not sure where you got the idea that a vehicle sitting on the lot has to be re-inspected after four months.
No delay for a spot during normal business hours, but for sales after the shop closes is another story. Some dealers do it for that reason, I dont agree with it but they do it anyway. The rules for inspection for a new car dealership are different then regular inspection rules, the dealership has to inspect the car within 30 days of the sale, not the owner. When they inspect a car hoping it will spot delivery they only have 30 days from that inspection date, after that the sticker is no longer valid, it will have to be re-inspected when it is sold. We get cars from other dealerships on swaps and even if the sticker is current(within 30 days) we re-inspect it. As for where I would get that idea, same DMV class you had to take when you got your license and I have actually looked it up in the regs. CR79, 79.2 page 1 paragraph B 2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts