Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I love to car camp. We'll often take our Jeep and a camp trailer into the Ozark National Forest just southeast of where we live in northwest Arkansas and do what the Forest Service refers to as "dispersed camping". Basically backcountry camping with your vehicle... Typically off old logging roads. May not see much of anyone while we're out there for hours or days.

We just bought the Commander but we think it'll be a great fit for our weekend adventures.

It seems Jeep drivers often have a shared love of the outdoors and outdoor adventures.

We sold the JKR and plan to get our Commander out to the woods in the next couple weeks. I'll start with a pic of our former setup. Would love to see and hear about yours!

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415310137.741661.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
This was mine when I had the XJ.
(still have tent!)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool! How'd that tent work out? Interesting concept.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Worked out very well. I kept the electronics,
and food in the Jeep, and the cooler + bedding
chairs in the tent.

I had lower wattage lighting to plug into the
750 watt inverter. I want to install an inverter
in the XK, just looking for ther right spot.

I put it here in the XJ cubby....

A little messy, was running christmas lights...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks fun. Given that the XK can tow much more than the JKR, the wife and I would like to get a little travel trailer to extend our camp season even more.

We already camp well into the weather, but camping in the Arkansas summer is mostly off limits presently. No one likes to wake at in a pool of sweat!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Awesome thread. I love camping too but unfortunately I haven't done much of it yet, let alone at campgrounds where you can drive up to your site. I have to explore more campgrounds around the Chicago area but I don't think we have many like those pictured in this thread.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've never been a fan of "campgrounds" per se. Never liked the idea of camping closer to strangers than I am at my regular house!

Check into any national forest areas around your area. They should have a website. Seek info on "dispersed camping". They'll often offer primitive camping where you can be truly by yourself with nature (and your Jeep). You'll generally not have the option of reservations, but the hunting for a spot can be half the adventure!

One thing to keep in mind for this type of camping--you have nothing. No communications, water, food, firewood, shelter, electricity, or toilets. Just fine by me, but not everyone's thing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Me atop Hare Mountain, the Ozarks
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415383681.757396.jpg

One of our setups. It rain A TON on this trip! Tent is Cabelas (outback model, if I recall)
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415383773.789147.jpg

A portable amateur radio setup of mine (radio is Elecraft K3)
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415383812.735794.jpg

As you can see, I bring lots of gear. Setting up camp and the gear is a lot of the fun for me. I'm a certified gearhead of all sorts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A portable amateur radio setup of mine (radio is Elecraft K3)
View attachment 11993

As you can see, I bring lots of gear. Setting up camp and the gear is a lot of the fun for me. I'm a certified gearhead of all sorts.

Awesome! Working 20 meters to boot! What are you using for
a poertable HF antenna? I use an Eagle One, and fabbed up a
mount that plugs into my hitch.

Check out my QRZ page for more pics. :drink4:

KI4YXO

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool! I need a new antenna that gives more options... Something like what you've got.

Was using an OCF dipole in the above picture. It's fine, but you have to have good tree options to get it up high obviously.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It takes longer to set out 6 ground radials than
it does to put up the Eagle One. (W8AFX)

At home I use a dipole, but for quick and easy
setup, I like the Eagle One. It was about $100
when I bought it, now it's around $130. Avoid
the tripod mount as it will tip over. Works very
well on 10-40 meters. On 80, you'll need a 4:1
balun. No sling shots, fishine line, weights, fustration! LOL

Anyway,

The tent would probably work with the XK, but there's
proabably enough room to sleep in it!

·
Registered
173 Posts
We do a lot of camping with our Commander. We use a Canadian military M101 trailer and added a Tepui rood top tent this year. So far very happy with the set up. We also like to camp in the boonies. The less people we see the better :)
A couple pics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
X2 on that trailer!

·
1,993 Posts
The best mods done for camping for me were, second battery, inverter, roof basket, and hitch basket. The baskets allowed me to get the family and all the gear they require anywhere my jeep could go. The second battery was insurance I wouldn't drain my start battery. You can get a air mattress in the back but a standard one puts you real close to the roof. To close IMO I didn't like it.

This is my old XK all loaded up. My new XK is still stock because I just picked it up and is going in a slightly different build direction.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude that setup is awesome! I had a Genesis Dual Battery kit in my JKR. Was my favorite mod. It's on the short list for the XK. Invaluable in the backcountry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got away for a quick overnighter with the wife in the Piney Creek Wilderness area, part of the Mark Twain National Forest. First trip with the Commander.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1417276821.312161.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1417276832.938640.jpg

It pulled the cargo trailer we keep stocked with our camp gear with ease. Fun little trip.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm in the process of working up a cargo trailer for camping. Since this picture I've added fenders and new LED lights. Still to do:
-cover
-spare fuel holder
-spare tire holder
-extend the hitch for better mobility.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts