Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry, I'm not referring to my SRT8 commander, but my sister in-law's commander has a noise I haven't yet been able to diagnose.
She's extremely tight on money so I've been trying to figure it out myself.

https://youtu.be/0rNDgNfTSdA

It's a 2010 3.7, and I've already replaced the lifters on the passenger side (side the noise is coming from) and there's no fallen rocker. I thought maybe the timing chain tensioner, but it doesn't sound like the timing chain tensioner issues of all the 3.7 videos I've listened to. I'm wondering if it's a piston slap or rod knock, maybe (but less likely) a spun bearing. Also since it's a 2010, a fallen valve seat should not be the issue. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Don't worry, I'm not referring to my SRT8 commander, but my sister in-law's commander has a noise I haven't yet been able to diagnose.

It's a 2010 3.7, and I've already replaced the lifters on the passenger side (side the noise is coming from) and there's no fallen rocker. I thought maybe the timing chain tensioner, but it doesn't sound like the timing chain tensioner issues of all the 3.7 videos I've listened to. I'm wondering if it's a piston slap or rod knock, maybe (but less likely) a spun bearing. Also since it's a 2010, a fallen valve seat should not be the issue. Any ideas?
Do Commanders have timing chains SHM42?

I know my XK has a serpentine belt - because I had to replace the serpentine belt and the belt tensioner. I thought when you have a Serpentine belt the belt drives everything, meaning there would be no timing chain.

Am I wrong on that? Or were you talking about the Serpentine Belt tensioner?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Do Commanders have timing chains SHM42?

I know my XK has serpentine belt - I thought when you have a Serpentine belt the belt drives everything, meaning there would be no timing chain.

Am I wrong on that? Or were you talking about the Serpentine Belt tensioner?
Yes, they all have timing chains.

Attachments

·
Banned
159 Posts
Definitely sounds internal, if it was the 4.7 I would lean towards the dropped valve, bit with it being the 6 cylinder not sure. Best bet is throw a compression tester on each one too you find one that's low/not existent (which is my guess)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely sounds internal, if it was the 4.7 I would lean towards the dropped valve, bit with it being the 6 cylinder not sure. Best bet is throw a compression tester on each one too you find one that's low/not existent (which is my guess)
It's very unlikely to be a dropped seat. That issue was fixed for 2009 or 2010, this is a 2010.

·
Banned
159 Posts
It's very unlikely to be a dropped seat. That issue was fixed for 2009 or 2010, this is a 2010.
Didnt read the year but either way Im with you, dropped valves are more of a pronounced tick then a full on knock. I would still say a compression test is the way to go. It will either narrow it down to a specific cylinder, or it will let you know it's not in the top end which means it's time to open up the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts