Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5.7L Hemi and recently purchased a 21' travel trailer that we will be taking cross-country. While towing the trailer home I put the Commander in Tow Mode and kept it around 65mph for highway driving. In doing this I could literally watch the fuel gauge drop and am figuring I am getting somewhere between 6-7mpg, in normal conditions my Commander gets around 14mpg. Does anyone have any advice on methods to improve the fuel economy for towing (always use tow mode)? I certainly want to preserve the life of the transmission but also want to know any tricks to help with fuel mileage. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have a 5.7L Hemi and recently purchased a 21' travel trailer that we will be taking cross-country. I am getting somewhere between 6-7mpg, in normal conditions my Commander gets around 14mpg.
Ouch! I will be downsizing from my 37' fifth wheel down to something like you now have. I hope your mileage isn't what I'm looking to get when I start towing my new trailer. 6-7 MPG just seems too low; I expected a figure in the low teens. Let us know if you manage to get better results.

·
Registered
389 Posts
50-55 MPH is optimal for our vehicle. Best suggestion I can give if you're up on vehicle maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We tow a 22' travel trailer, and get 8 to 9 mpg. Driving up mountain passes it drops down lower, but going down the other side it comes back. Slowing down helps a lot. Once at speed if level or downhill, I shift out of tow/haul and slow the engine rpm's down, not sure if the transmission likes it, going up hill I shift back to tow/haul.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
We tow a 22' travel trailer, and get 8 to 9 mpg. Driving up mountain passes it drops down lower, but going down the other side it comes back. Slowing down helps a lot. Once at speed if level or downhill, I shift out of tow/haul and slow the engine rpm's down, not sure if the transmission likes it, going up hill I shift back to tow/haul.
@Commander Baker;

Welcome to the forum; Please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Also, please post an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We've been hauling a 17' travel trailer (probably 4000 lbs loaded) around this summer and getting between 9 and 11.5 mpg out of our HEMI. Usually right around 10.7 mpg, if the terrain is flat or if the ups and downs are on similar grades and in similar quantities. That's with Tow/Haul activated; better mpgs with the sixth gear enabled, but I've been afraid to do that very much.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
We've been hauling a 17' travel trailer (probably 4000 lbs loaded) around this summer and getting between 9 and 11.5 mpg out of our HEMI. Usually right around 10.7 mpg, if the terrain is flat or if the ups and downs are on similar grades and in similar quantities. That's with Tow/Haul activated; better mpgs with the sixth gear enabled, but I've been afraid to do that very much.
That sounds about right, based on my towing experience with my XK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts