Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Commander is currently garaged with no one driving it or starting it up while I'm out of the country. It'll be about 11 months when I return. Just curious as to if there's anything special I need to do when I'm ready to take it out. It'll be due for inspection and will most likely need new tires and definitely an oil change. I filled the tank and put fuel stabilizer in it before I left.

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
I hope you disconnected the battery before you stored it - or you will most definitely be coming back to a dead battery.

I am getting ready to come back stateside after having mine stored for 4 months while being in the Gulf, typically that's all I do.

I will get the oil changed when I return - but only because I know it was due for one when I stored it.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
What does the battery run while the vehicle is off? the clock?
There is always draw on the battery when the engine is not running; the only way to make sure your battery is not being drained while sitting for prolonged periods of time is to disconnect the positive battery terminal.

It's also good practice to dump a can of STABIL in the Gas tank and have the gas tank full - or very close to it, when you store your vehicle to help avoid condensation build up in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had mine parked for over a month a few months back and it fired right up. So I think my draw is minimum. It's a basic model. No remote start or fancy stuff. But that was an interesting read. Wonder if those boys found where the .5 amp draw was coming from. They never followed up on the thread.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I had mine parked for over a month a few months back and it fired right up. So I think my draw is minimum. It's a basic model. No remote start or fancy stuff. But that was an interesting read. Wonder if those boys found where the .5 amp draw was coming from. They never followed up on the thread.
Never looked deeper into it, not having any problems at .5 amp draw but do not let it sit for long times - 3 or 4 days tops.

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
I had mine parked for over a month a few months back and it fired right up. So I think my draw is minimum.
You leave it sit for 5 months to a year, like myself & @BurghXK have to sometimes and I guarantee you, you will come back to a dead battery, book it.

Sitting for only a month, is not very long in the grand scheme of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts