Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being based in the UK commander Guru location is harder to locate.
I was hoping some of the UK members may have the best Go-To guru when they get stuck in the proverbial cant see the wood for the trees scenario ?
any advise would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being based in the UK commander Guru location is harder to locate.
I was hoping some of the UK members may have the best Go-To guru when they get stuck in the proverbial cant see the wood for the trees scenario ?
any advise would be greatly appreciated
Send me a mail, what is the problem? My main dealer ask me how to fix things these days....

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly thanks for the reply
I recently bought a Commander with no keys when it was delivered I called an auto locksmith out who cut and programmed a key which opened the doors and turned on the ignition.
When the car was cranked over the engine started and ran fine for a few seconds before cutting out, this happened 3 times before it then wouldn't turn over.
He said to leave the ignition on for an hour before trying again and left. the hour passed and the car was the same turn on the ignition all lights but wouldn't crank.
When I came to load the car on a transporter found that the electric steering lock was on and wouldn't disconnect even with the key in ignition.

Subsequently unplugged removed the steering column and electric steering lock to allow the car to be moved.

Read online that the ignition switch can be faulty on Jeeps bought and replaced the back of the ignition barrel - no difference

Still no joy so I decided to purchase a replacement lock set from a breakers including Alarm box, ECU, Ignition Key and Skreem, Locks, Petrol Cap and changed all.
Turned the key and the jeep started and ran for a few seconds then cut out, again the 3 times cycle before it behaved exactly as it did from the start but this time the doors and remote key didn't work.

The only item I did not replace was the steering column lock.
I have done this many times in the past on other makes without issue, on the diagnostics which ever ignition I use now having 2 of them and 2 set of keys everything passes the jeep ECU says ready to start but I get Skreem failure.
I do not have a steering lock plugged in which I know can be coded to the car but didn't know if the lack of it would cause the issue I'm having.

thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Firstly thanks for the reply
I recently bought a Commander with no keys when it was delivered I called an auto locksmith out who cut and programmed a key which opened the doors and turned on the ignition.
When the car was cranked over the engine started and ran fine for a few seconds before cutting out, this happened 3 times before it then wouldn't turn over.
He said to leave the ignition on for an hour before trying again and left. the hour passed and the car was the same turn on the ignition all lights but wouldn't crank.
When I came to load the car on a transporter found that the electric steering lock was on and wouldn't disconnect even with the key in ignition.

Subsequently unplugged removed the steering column and electric steering lock to allow the car to be moved.

Read online that the ignition switch can be faulty on Jeeps bought and replaced the back of the ignition barrel - no difference

Still no joy so I decided to purchase a replacement lock set from a breakers including Alarm box, ECU, Ignition Key and Skreem, Locks, Petrol Cap and changed all.
Turned the key and the jeep started and ran for a few seconds then cut out, again the 3 times cycle before it behaved exactly as it did from the start but this time the doors and remote key didn't work.

The only item I did not replace was the steering column lock.
I have done this many times in the past on other makes without issue, on the diagnostics which ever ignition I use now having 2 of them and 2 set of keys everything passes the jeep ECU says ready to start but I get Skreem failure.
I do not have a steering lock plugged in which I know can be coded to the car but didn't know if the lack of it would cause the issue I'm having.

thanks for any ideas
I just bought a 2008 Commander with one key. When the locksmith went to program the second key, the security profile was for a 2009 Commander. Meaning somewhere in its life, the security was updated to 2009 profile. You can go to Official Mopar Site | Sign In or Register and register your Commander's VIN/owner. Once registered, you can see if there is any recalls affecting your Jeep. I feel like I read somewhere about a problem with the ignition switch/security, but can't find it now.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MarcD
I will register on the Site and have a look, as you can imagine this is a tad frustrating :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Crusty for the link, I have downloaded the XK Manual but does not explain the relation between modules :-(
I will keep looking

·
Registered
14 Posts
What you are describing it sounds like all the modules and keys do not have the correct program or there is a bad module. There are a bunch of them that work together by reading the data transmitted over the CAN bus. One of the sections describes what you are experiencing, in that if an incorrect key is detected multiple times it prevents the engine from starting. Part of the security system. There is the procedure you described but won't matter if the programming is still wrong. It might be in the security system section but don't recall. Without being able to connect to it with a scan tool from this side of the pond is kind of difficult. It should be logging a fault code but sometimes they don't. Is it possible for you to check what codes are logged? If so one thing to verify is the VIN correct in the modules. One thing for us over here also, is getting the correct calibration because most programs are protected by the OEM and dealers are usually the only ones with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Crusty I have ordered a replacement steering lock and I decided to buy the Key / ECU programing computer myself so I am now a couple of $k less well off but at least
I can try to resolve this myself as when I pay a Key Tech they cant wait to leave :))
I will go for a fit this weekend and hopefully the diag machine will have arrived ..jeep you updated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds good. This is something that will help us on this side also since info and parts are hard to come by anymore. Let alone finding a dealer that has worked on something this old and out of production.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no need to buy anything fancy. Just a proper bluetooth/wifi OBDII adapter and Appcar DiagFca application was enough for me to be able to program keyfobs from ebay :)

·
Administrator
16,137 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts, it will definitely going to help me deal with the door lock without seeking help from a locksmith.
@CharlesFinch Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. Also, please go to your account settings and create a "signature" with your XK's details. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts