Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Commander Limited 5.7 and been having the dashlights, headlights turning off and on on its own, along with this is a starting issue where it doesn't want to start at times. The VES also goes off and on but mostly stays off.

I searched on here and found the Ignition switch is a common issue that can cause this, so I switched it out and didn't solve the problem. I took it to a stealership who charged me $500 to change the starter and replace a burnt wire. They said the burnt wire was causing these issues. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem either.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. The stealership said it was an intermittent problem and they had no idea what was causing it or where to start. Anyone have a similar issue?? Any help is appreciative. We love our commander because we live in the country and its nice having a 7 passenger 4WD vehicle, and we do have 7 people in our family so its a necessity. I'm thinking of trading this in, but hate to give it up. Any help is appreciative. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Try replacing the light stalk. That is a known issue that can cause your symptoms. I just reread and see you are having a starting issue too. In that case it might be the wiring harness connection at the starter. The connector corrodes. That is also a known issue. One more thing that it could be is your battery going bad. Even if it "tests" good it can still be bad.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Try replacing the light stalk. That is a known issue that can cause your symptoms. I just reread and see you are having a starting issue too. In that case it might be the wiring harness connection at the starter. The connector corrodes. That is also a known issue. One more thing that it could be is your battery going bad. Even if it "tests" good it can still be bad.
There is a yellow wire that connects to the starter solenoid that is not protected @ the connector. Cutting off the connector and replacing it with some dielectric grease and heatshrink should fix that problem.

Try wiggling this wire and see if it fixes your starting problems temporarily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I switched out the battery and the headlight switch and so far the electrical issue appears resolved. I need more drive time to fully say so but definitely looks promising. much thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts