Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is looking to buy a new suv. She needs a third row of seats and some basic offroad capabilities (mud and ground clearance, not rockcrawling). She really likes the Commanders.

So, since I'm not very familiar with Jeeps, I thought I ask a few questions -

1) Have there been any reliability/quality issues with the Commanders?
2) Which engine/drivetrain would you pick?
3) For occasional use transporting kids, is the back seat functional?
4) Any big surprises related to mpg?
5) For those of you that own a Commander, would you buy another?

I appreciate your help.
James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I have the 5.7 hemi, and I wouldn't go smaller. I use mine to tow though - I guess the 4.7 would be okay otherwise. I've never seen the third row of seats; the Jeep came home w/ them folded down, and down they have stayed. It is a lot smaller than my last suv (expedition) for traveling, but I'm really happy w/ it. It's fun to drive, safe, different (at least you're not at a stoplight with five others just the same), tows really well (even a horse trailer w/ four horses), and has been reliable so far (20,000 miles since January). We get about 17-18 on the highway.

Katy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I have had mine for 1 month now. I have the 4X2 3.7; but I also live in South Florida. There isn't many mountains to climb around here..LOL. The everyday driving of the truck is very secure and fun to drive. I love the handling of it especially. My finance has an Expedition and it doesn't handle the same. This is my first American car that I have owned in a long time. The only drawback to it from Japaneese cars, is that the details are not as good. I have had some issues with the trim around the shifter comming loose and the f/r/d speaker going bad. The gas mpg sucks!!! especially during the first couple of hundered miles. I was getting about 9 mpg. This has improved slightly and I am now doing 14 mpg average city/hwy. I truly think this will improve as I break in the engine over time. The rebates I got was a big insentive to get the truck. I got a total of 4500 in rebates. It took my truck from $29500 down to 25K. I don't think you'll be getting this discount from anyone else. I overall like the truck and If everything goes well, I will stay in the Jeep family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elihercu51125 said:
....I have the 4X2 3.7.....The gas mpg sucks!!!
I've read that some people get better mpg with the larger engines? Less strain on the engine maybe?

The dealer has "$6k off" stickers on everything right now. Clearing out for the 08's I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joskt0204 said:
I have the 5.7 hemi, and I wouldn't go smaller. I use mine to tow though - I guess the 4.7 would be okay otherwise. I've never seen the third row of seats; the Jeep came home w/ them folded down, and down they have stayed. It is a lot smaller than my last suv (expedition) for traveling, but I'm really happy w/ it. It's fun to drive, safe, different (at least you're not at a stoplight with five others just the same), tows really well (even a horse trailer w/ four horses), and has been reliable so far (20,000 miles since January). We get about 17-18 on the highway.

Katy
We'd probably go with the 4.7 since she won't be towing.

She likes the "different" thing.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I have a 2wd with the 4.7 and we love it. We have had a few issues but I think that they worked most of those problems out in the 07 models. Gas mileage runs around 16 city and 20 highway generally. This is running 70-75 highway. I have used the third row and it is good for kids rough on adults. Ride is smooth and quiet. I don't have all the bells and whistles but for 27k I am happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
I have the 3.7 V6. While the gas mileage isnt hitting records I avg 15.1-15.8 mpg. But it has ALOT to do with driving styles and conditions. In the winter it dips down to 13.8 but thats cause I typically spin alot more and screw around. And avg 21+ on road trips down the highway unless I am leaving Valdez heading to Anchorage then it drops due to the climbing 2600+ feet in a short distance. Only Modifacation i made that might have a slight effect on gas milage was replacing the air filter with a K&N stock filter and removing the restrictor plate off the "snorkle" that goes from the grill to the airbox.

The V6 doesnt have a 4 Low so keep that in mind of your looking at a muddy fire break trail.

The third seat is not bad my girls love it but they are at ages 8 & 10. I wouldnt stick a adult back there unless I didn't like them. But it is feasible for adults on a short trip.

Would I buy another XK? Oh heck ya! Its a Jeep Thing! But I would get the V8 because I have a hard time passing muddy trails anymore. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AKFossil said:
I have the 3.7 V6. While the gas mileage isnt hitting records I avg 15.1-15.8 mpg. But it has ALOT to do with driving styles and conditions. In the winter it dips down to 13.8 but thats cause I typically spin alot more and screw around. And avg 21+ on road trips down the highway unless I am leaving Valdez heading to Anchorage then it drops due to the climbing 2600+ feet in a short distance. Only Modifacation i made that might have a slight effect on gas milage was replacing the air filter with a K&N stock filter and removing the restrictor plate off the "snorkle" that goes from the grill to the airbox.

The V6 doesnt have a 4 Low so keep that in mind of your looking at a muddy fire break trail.

The third seat is not bad my girls love it but they are at ages 8 & 10. I wouldnt stick a adult back there unless I didn't like them. But it is feasible for adults on a short trip.

Would I buy another XK? Oh heck ya! Its a Jeep Thing! But I would get the V8 because I have a hard time passing muddy trails anymore. :D
Thanks for the info on the back seat.

I read a post somewhere in which the poster was saying not to get the V6 if you carry more than 4 people. You have any opinion on that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
I just took a trip to Washington State from Colorado Springs, CO with 3 kids and a dog and had no issues with room for the kids or dog. On the way back we had 5 kids and no dog and still no issues with room. The kids slept in the back with no problem, and everyone seemed to be no worse for wear. The front seats recline WAY back and so its great for sleeping in a rest stop. Our kids are between 10-4. For most of the trip the 7 and 8 year olds were in the far back (makes it easier to smack the 4 year old causing trouble).

On the trips, the only issue seemed to be the cupholders for when everyone was eating - if you put three people in the middle seat, no one has any cup holders in the middle. The back two are fine. We just purchased 2x $5 "seat wedge" cup holders for the middle seats - they hold drinks, PSPs, and books AND they keep all the kids in "their" part of the Jeep.

I would go with the HEMI because, well, the more the merrier. I had no issues with stock off-roading in light-moderate areas.

I would definately buy another Commander - if this one ever wears out. This is my first Jeep (my last kid hauler was an Expedition), and I love it.

Some pics from the trip showing the back seat and kid placement...

You can't see the dog, but she's laying down in the back (she's a Yellow Lab / Bassett so she's short and fat).


The five kids without the dog - I think they are looking at Buffalo in Yellowstone...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
94 Posts
JamesF250 said:
My wife is looking to buy a new suv. She needs a third row of seats and some basic offroad capabilities (mud and ground clearance, not rockcrawling). She really likes the Commanders.

So, since I'm not very familiar with Jeeps, I thought I ask a few questions -

1) Have there been any reliability/quality issues with the Commanders?
There are some issues - like there are with any new vehicle - and most are covered by TSB or warranty.
JamesF250 said:
2) Which engine/drivetrain would you pick?
Hemi. I live in California, and I use the power and authority the 5.7L offers to get on the freeway, get where I need to go, and tow pretty much anything I need to.
JamesF250 said:
3) For occasional use transporting kids, is the back seat functional?
Functional, yes. Comfortable ... I dunno, I'm the driver. :D

What I like is that with the rear seats down there's plenty of room for everything I usually need to carry.
JamesF250 said:
4) Any big surprises related to mpg?
The 5.7L hasn't met a gas station it didn't like. It get's slightly worse mileage on regular unleaded than it gets on midgrade, and gets slightly better mileage on supreme. I ran it on ethanol (hey ... it had the sticker thingy that said is was flex fuel. Now that I've had it towed to the dealership and they've fixed whatever was wrong with it the sticker has magically disappeared! ... hmm ...), and it got 8MPG until it stopped.

The 5.7L will not win any awards for high MPG. It gets about the same as my H2 got, but it's much narrower and easier to park.
JamesF250 said:
5) For those of you that own a Commander, would you buy another?
I go through alot of cars. The chance of me buying another Commander aren't that great. Not because it's not a good vehicle, but because I'm sure I'll come up with something else to buy. I would, however, buy another Jeep product (like, for example, a 2008 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited). I haven't had any insurmountable issues with any of my 2007 Jeeps.

If there is anything I wish they'd have done differently on the Commander, it would be to allow Yakima or Thule crossbars or mounts to be used and allow more ground clearance options like taller lifts. I think the Commander is a bit short when it comes to driving down some of the roads I do. I have to pay a bit more attention to lines than I did with the FJC, JK, H2 or H3.

Your pal,
Meat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
I have a 2007 Overland model (comes nearly fully loaded) with the 5.7L Hemi, Quadradrive 4wd etc.) I have owned many vehicles and IMHO this one is the best I have ever owned and I once had a Cadillac Beritz. Set up with the best 4wd system available it is nearly unstoppable in snow (so I am told) and even in the heaviest rainstorm one feels totally safe inside. I love my Commander, would certainly recommend it. Everyone who has ridden in my Commander says its wonderful also. the 3rd row seats IMHO are only suitable for small children and with them up the storage goes down significantly. However they are very easy to raise and let down. Gas mileage sucks as should be expected in a nearly 3 ton machine, reasonable highway mileage is about 18mpg but around town you are lucky to get 13mpg. john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent. The backseat was one of my main concerns - I was pushing for something bigger (Tahoe/Expedition), but my wife wants something smaller. The eases my concerns quite a bit.

And no one has had anything bad to say about the quality, so that's a definite plus.

MPG? I guess until they see fit to put diesels into these things, it is what it is.

Her last wish is the saddle brown leather. I wonder if they still offer it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
One more input.

I have the 3.7 with QT1.

The only thing I would do different is get at least the 4.7 with QT2. Mileage is about the same from what I understand.

We just got back from a vacation where we drove 2 hours to get to the airport.

With me, my wife, our two year old, five pieces of luggage with cruise control set at 80 I averaged 18.7 mpg. The highway is not flat at all either.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
94 Posts
JamesF250 said:
Excellent. The backseat was one of my main concerns - I was pushing for something bigger (Tahoe/Expedition), but my wife wants something smaller. The eases my concerns quite a bit.
If it's any help: the third row seats in the Tahoe or Expedition aren't really all that much bigger, or offer all that much more legroom. The only thing different is that the seats sit up a little higher off the floor in the other vehicles. They're still seats fit for a red-headed stepchild.

Your pal,
Meat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Love mine. Would buy it again. Use it to tow; installed the tow package on mine myself since the heavy duty cooling already comes with the 4.7 V8. My daughter loves the 3rd row; especially when I fold down all the seats in the back two rows except hers. Very comfortable and capable, moreso than my wife's '06 Suburban Z71. Other than my new favorite the Porsche Cayenne (and Cayenne S), I'd buy an '08/'09 Commander if QDII were available on the 4.7 V8 and would only add leather (just to have a power passenger seat) and the moonroof to the sparce options I have now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
we have an '06 that we bought last year brand new and now have almost 18,000 miles on it. its the 3.7L V6 with QT1 and we haven't had a single problem with it. i would definitely buy another one. i would probably go with the 4.7 next time though. ours does great and i have no complaints or issues with the power but i pull a trailer quite often and it would be nice to pull it with the jeep sometimes. i know i can put a hitch on it but i would have liked to have gotten one with the factory tow package.
as for room and comfort, i have never ridden in the back seat so i can't speak from experience but my kids have occasionally sat back there and they have never complained (12 and 14 year old).
as for fuel mileage we consistently get 15.5-16.0 all in town and 21-22 on the highway. from what i have read the 4.7 will get about the same so it would be kinda silly not to get it along with the tow package. if you never plan on towing then don't be afraid to get the 3.7.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Fohn_Jargo said:
With me, my wife, our two year old, five pieces of luggage with cruise control set at 80 I averaged 18.7 mpg. The highway is not flat at all either.
On our trip up to WA and back, we averaged about 17-19mpg the whole way there and back with 5 kids and a luggage bag on top. The trip took us over the Rockies twice and through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. MPG doesnt seem to be much different between the HEMI and anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
JamesF250 said:
I read a post somewhere in which the poster was saying not to get the V6 if you carry more than 4 people. You have any opinion on that?

Well I got a family of 5 (yes we have a minivan too :eek: ) but we do all our outdoor activities in the XK with no issues. Now if its 4 adults with a midsection issue I am sure a Hemi would be in order. Also if 4 adults is not a everyday thing I wouldn't think it should be a issue.:)
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top