Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the following pictures on another Jeep website and thought I would pass them along to this site. At the moment I don't have enough guts to try this with my new Commander. What I'm wondering is why there are no similar pictures with a Commander off roading in the USA?

·
Registered
38 Posts
nice pics...i'm hoping to get mine dirty soon. i'm very jealous that you get the CRD across the pond. I've always beena fan of the torque, efficiency and reliability of diesel engines...might actually trade mine in if we get a diesel here.

keep it up...nice to see commanders getting dirrrrty

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cool pics,, I'd love to wheel our XK like that, but it's my wife's. I wheel my KJ like that:D We do moderate wheeling in the XK, I'll wheel it until we don't think I can make it:eek: .... my wife's wheels with me so that's makes it really cool, and usually we can't find anyone to wheel with so we go out alone.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
If thats a Euro Jeep how come the drivers on OUR side of the car lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
has anyone found out anything about the euro lights yet. They look so much better without that yellow turn signal?

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea i second that, and that color is amazing as well its almost like a greyish

·
Registered
77 Posts
Avsfan33 ... only a few who live on an island to the west drive on the "wrong" side ;) - we Americans chose to do the opposite of our former rulers and with that, drive like most other European countries. The license plate indicated a French origin, the Diesel is very German indeed and the Jeep is build in Austria.

·
Registered
128 Posts
YEAH,I would trade mine in too for a diesel version:) That looks freaking solid!!:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hisandhercommanders said:
we need the clear turn lights badly. I did not realize how bad the amber looked until i saw this.
I believe we've had amber turn lights in the USA for over 30 years now. If you were able to replace the lens covers with clear ones, there probably are a lot of states that would fail you on your annual vehicle inspection.

If I remember correctly, when amber turn lights became the law, it was to eliminate confusion between red tail lights and white headlights with white turn signals. I'm not trying to defend this practice. In my opinion, anyone who is confused by the former practice of using white turn signals, shouldn't be driving period.

To be frank, when amber tail lights first appeared, I hated them. Over time, the regulators broke me down and now I don't care about this issue. When amber lights first appeared, I remember some of the more classy cars continued to use white/clear covers with a colored amber bulb which seemed to be the best solution. Even that is probably illegal now.

My only question about the current law is if amber lens covers are safer, why hasn't England, France, Germany, etc gone this route also? Probably cause it doesn't make two hoots of difference in safety.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The clear turn signals would really dress up our vehicles.

I replaced the entire headlight assemblies in my M5 to get the clear corner portion. I imported the new assemblies from Germany. It wasn't cheap for the parts, but fortunately I was able to sell my old assemblies for about 80% of the cost of the new assemblies, since people with older M5's had a different, less desirable assembly and it was an upgrade for them to have my old units. It sounds silly that something as simple and superficial as this seems to make a difference, but I think it is a very nice upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually took my XK off-roading a little but no one was with me to take the pics. I had so much dirt under it and on my brakes that I had to take it to a garage to get cleaned. (My brakes squeaked so loudly that I was embarassed to drive my new XK with brakes that sounded like they were completely gone!) It handled so nicely that I am going to get it lifted and do it all again (only bigger!).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great Pics! :D

I am wanting to hit trails of such nature... just have no idea where to find them. I have checked out a few 4x4 clubs on line and they are just not suited for my taste. Don;t get me wrong, if I had an older Jeep that was lifted at least 6 inches they would be ideal ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Question: (and please pardon my ignorance) - I noticed a black bar under the rear bumper in the pic that shows the underside - is this part of the rock rail system or can this just be added? If so, how do I go about finding one?

Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
kylashoe

Miss those central PA mountains, were you on the N or S mountain. What engine do you have?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can tell you the diesel is great and its pretty quick on the highway too mine has the rear floodlights but they put red lense covers over them, still bright enough to do some work there. hopefully ill be taking mine out intp the desert next week just have to be careful about avoiding the kangaroos as we dont have a bull bar designed for them yet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love those pictures!
I just got my Commander 2007 a week ago, I chose it over the Hummer H3.
These pictures inspired me to write for the first time .
I will take picture from my JC and post them soon.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I WANT those clear turn signals and rear bumper

Thanks for those pics, awesome. I really like the look of the clear turn signals in teh front. Amber bublbs will get you through any state inspection station... What really got my attention was the rear bumper cover with those lights.... that is freaking awesome. HMM, lets hope these things become available soon. I wonder though, I think that we may have to replace the whole combo unit to change the turn signals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts