Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Commander Offroad at Big Bear, Ortega, Temecula, Azusa

Spent a fun day on the Big Bear Trails, here are some photos from today. It was snowing this morning, but we were determined to make the trip, and thankfully the trail wasn’t affected by the local weather. I was impressed with the Bridgestone REVO’s. I aired down to 25 psi, the rocks weren’t too big, but I still wanted to maintain ground clearance, and have some give. I’m not expert, so I didn’t want to air down too low, and risk a bead coming off the wheel.

Other drivers seemed happy to see the Commander make its way through the trail, which is rated “most difficult” according to the signage. A couple rocky areas were challenging, but no damage, and the Commander and new lift and tires, made it a pleasure. I found the vehicle overall, much easier and less hair raising to off road than my wife’s Cayenne S, which has now been retired from off roading after many successful excursions…From now on, it’s all JEEP.

A little mud…

Rocky Trails:

Commander waits its turn:

Articulate:

Home Sweet Home:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sweet pictures. I still don't think that the commander should have to wait it's turn. Drive over that chevy. maximo

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sycohemi...I am jealous...your garage floor looks too clean and neat.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment on the garage. It's an epoxy coat, very durable and resistant to stains, so it cleans up nicely. Here's a few more pictures.

It was snowing when we first arrived at Big Bear:

Rear View of the Commander

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Maximo,

I think the Red GMC may have hit something. There was some kind of fluid, that looked like fresh oil on some of the larger rocks. We let the driver know. Not sure if it was the Red GMC or maybe someone else. That's what they got for rushing...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump............

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Did not notice a tow hook on the rear of your commander, I assume you have the tow package?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't have the offroad package, I ordered the parts piecemeal after, to get the underbody protection. I just use a shackle hitch insert.

I went offroading with the local Porsche Club of America this past Sunday 10/22.

Last year I brought the Cayenne S through Gold Mtn Trail at Big Bear.

This year I brought the Commander and we went through Temecula and the mountains above Ortega Highway. It was easy fireroads.

Here is a picture of our Cayenne S from a previous trip:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
October 15, 2006 Offroad trip to Azusa, San Gabriel Valley OHV Park

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vegas

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Frank!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops. I almost forgot to post my Lake Tahoe pictures from a couple months back.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
And just so you don't think it is a tough life for my Jeep, she does get cleaned up, once in a blue moon. Today she is spotless...Not sure how long she can stay clean like this.

17,000 miles on the clock so far...Oil changed and tires rotated every 3,000 miles. Differential fluids front and rear just changed. She lives a good life. 89 octane religiously.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very nice, I always like to see a person keep his engine compartment clean. Assists in locating any problems and mechanics will love you. Wonder why you have the tires rotated every 3k miles though? I can see that on mud terrains but these street tires dont look to me as though it would be necessary. john

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rotation is either free at the tire shop or $9.95. But yeah, I guess I may be overdoing it. Tires look great though.

What's the recommended interval on street tires?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sort of depends on the brand, but the manual says every 6k miles which IMHO is plenty often for any decent street tire. john

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks sweet SYCOHEMI sometimes I wish my wife would have let me get the blue one over the white. Oh well it is her's I guess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts