Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 has the Q drive II system and was wondering how it would do on the beach? The sand around here(long island) is pretty soft . thanks .

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I say try it and take pictures. But don't go off-roading alone. Go with someone else with a 4x4 and take a snatch strap. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've driven my 06 Commander with QT1 on the beach down at Port Aransas/Corpus Christi (National Seashore) back in September and didn't have any problems. Only thing I had to watch out for was debris washed up on shore from the hurricane the week before. A lot of building debris the currents brought down from Galveston (wood with nails).

A few pictures are at http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq171/jeadstx/

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, ive done lots of beach driving over the years , i was wonder about the Q drive 2 itself. is the 4 low like the older 4 whell drive of the past. 80s and early 90s.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I have the QDII also and have been in soft, relatively deep sand without an issue. Even did donuts in it.

Pics and vids in my "Garage."

·
Registered
862 Posts
What I've noticed so far in soft sand, is to drive EASY, but turn off the traction control. (One press, not a full 5 second hold on the button) Hal, Cristine, Mother, Kitt, (or whatever else you decide to name your computer) won't let you pour on the power if needed. Sometimes you need to ''get on it'' for a bit to get up a dune or the like, and the computer will take the throttle away from you. That seems to be the main thing, more than traction control holding a tire from spinning.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. very helpfull. with all the diffreant 4x4 systems out there today i wast sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those of you who are driving in the sand, are you lowering the tire pressure in your tires?? and to how much????? I will be in NC in june driving on the beach and was wondering......

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
QD-II will do very well and better than most other 4x4 SUVs as a 4WD system, if you are experienced sand driving with older 4WDs, then you will notice the difference more than others. it has some sort of automatic diff locks in both diffs (ELSDs) and one in the Transfer case !! it works wonderful and very quick.

Just make sure to disable the ESP totally by pushing the ESP button for 10 secs until you get "ESP OFF" message in the dash screen.

The only problem with the Commander as a 4x4 vehicle is its poor ground clearance and that might get you stuck in the sand, so pay attention to that.

If the sand is very soft and dry, then deflate the tires to 15 psi and you will feel like drive on hard top.

I have the QT-II system which much simpler than QD-II and less capable, and it does very well on sand.

·
Registered
862 Posts
For sand driving, an investment in an X-Jack is a REAL good idea. There's no point in digging yourself loose from sand... just lift the Jeep up and fill in the holes under the tires, and make another attempt to drive away.

A Hi-Lift jack is great except not very useful on a Commander because there isn't any place to lift from. An X-Jack just slides underneath wherever and lifts because it's an air bag.

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/Bushranger-X-jack.htm

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Ok, that IS pretty cool. But $200 is kinda pricey. Maybe GL4x4 can make one for us!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For sand driving, an investment in an X-Jack is a REAL good idea. There's no point in digging yourself loose from sand... just lift the Jeep up and fill in the holes under the tires, and make another attempt to drive away.

A Hi-Lift jack is great except not very useful on a Commander because there isn't any place to lift from. An X-Jack just slides underneath wherever and lifts because it's an air bag.

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/Bushranger-X-jack.htm
Yes, Air jacks are very useful on sand, it help two times I was alone in sand and on time on mud.

Ok, that IS pretty cool. But $200 is kinda pricey. Maybe GL4x4 can make one for us!
X-Jack brand is very expensive and good quality, but you can go with other cheaper price one as I did, mine was less than $100

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info on the jacks. if you only get stuck 1 time on the beach and tide is comming in its worth the price. So if i understand this right, the Q track II is the more capable 4x4 system ? But what i have ,Q drive II will do fine in sand ? thanks again.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So if i understand this right, the Q track II is the more capable 4x4 system ? But what i have ,Q drive II will do fine in sand ? thanks again.
No ,, Quadra-Drive-II is better than Quadra-Trac-II

1 - 20 of 28 Posts