Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too many pics, but better than what I've seen before (ie nothing). Thought I'd share here. These came from a guy who does guided trips on the Rubicon. His website is http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/ot.html (I'd feel bad about posting his pics without giving him some action).

From what I can see in the snapshot pics (somewhat blurry because of movement), it looks like one would definitely need Rock Rails and some more clearance from the rear bumper. Harold (the guy who sent the pics), said that that Commander was driven by the Jeep engineers who have been over the trail bunches of times. So, I would expect more damage driving it myself...

Also, this was only 2/3 the way through.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Wow, they're tearing that thing up. I guess you need to know the limits of your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that its definately ABLE to do the Rubicon, the only question is - how much will it cost?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I agree that its definately ABLE to do the Rubicon, the only question is - how much will it cost?
Definitely more than I'm willing to spend, that's for sure. Ha. I'd be CRYING if I had that type of body damage to the Commander. But if it was my 2nd vehicle, and I had some behemoth of a primary vehicle, then I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad. Ha.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It looks it might be that they just had a bad spotter... all the damage appears to be on the right side and looks consistent that the entire length was dragged over a rock.

Don't worry... that'll buff right out...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I will agree with you, ground clearance is not great and also could you use rock rails. I dought that he had to do with spotter if indeed vehicle was driven by a jeep engineeer that has been on trail many times.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rubicontrail.net said:
It looks it might be that they just had a bad spotter... all the damage appears to be on the right side and looks consistent that the entire length was dragged over a rock.

Don't worry... that'll buff right out...
I think we're only SEEING the right side... maybe the entire left side is missing! =)

Would that be covered by insurance???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yea they would cover it, I just wouldn't tell them what you were doing when it happened if you wanted to keep your coverage.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the commander is doing the Baja 500. You can tell that they have bad intentions in destroying the commander.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
FYI - Typically, insurance would not respond to organized events, races, or intentional damage. It might be covered if you didnt tell your adjuster you were in a line of 50 vehicles going across the Rubicon trail.

Some might tell you the "stupid" exclusion applies, but from claims I have seen, it isnt applied often enough!

I know, it probably was'nt a serious question, but hey....

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have yet to figure out why they put a darn plastic rail at the bottom of our "Trail Rated" XKs? :confused: - Oh - I know - so we can spend mucho $$$$ in aftermarket parts to make it truly a Trail Rated vehicle. Humm $44K (limited-Hemi) for vehicle + $1500 (avg) for lift + $900 for real tires + $500 for rock rails + $600 for real hd skid plates + $500 (opt brush gaurd) = $48K :eek:

Oh Well... If your wanna play...you gotta pay :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
That XK looks off the dealer lot stock. I would like to see one of our guys with a lift, tires and supersliders go on the trail. They would fair a much better damage wise. I used to live in Lake Tahoe and you would see all these hardcore offroad vehicles-mostly wranglers but a lot of beat up Toyotas too.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, it looked stock - and with even slight mods (2" lift, bigger tires, rails) I could imagine much less damage. I think one thing that saves the Commander a lot of damage off road is how narrow it is - keeps it BETWEEN the rocks instead of in them.

For the insurance aspect - if it wasn't an organized event, but rather a "trail crossing" I wonder if they'd cover it? What is this "stupid" exclusion - I've never heard of that before and I don't think its in my policy!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so... here I found a video of a Commander on the Rubicon from another forum (Pirate4x4). My thanks to Curly over there for the video.

It's not my Commander so I have no idea what its got on it.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
What, are we buddys with the pirates now ?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I'll take all the help I can get! I didn't know that Commanders and Pirates were mutually exclusive! Can I still give them the Jeep Wave if I see them?? =)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts