Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
has anyone driven a JC with QT1 in the snow or off-road yet? how did it do?
i don't off-road and its mainly for my wife to drive daily to work and back. we get our share of snow around here (pittsburgh).
last night she asked me if it would go as good in the snow as her durango did. can anyone answer that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I rented a base model this past summer 3.7 liter QT1, I drove out to Oregon INlet, on Ocracoke and down around Kure Beach NC, we could not get it stuck in the sand, we did not lower air pressure in the tires either, we just floored it to get that 6000 pounds moving and stayed in the ruts.....20 minutes of beach driven like that and the engine did not heat up nor did the trans...

hope this helps...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dabitz, don't mean to burst your bubble but if you read the description, that is a heavily modified JC. But I wouldn't worry too much, we dont' get that much snow here in Jersey.

I still don't think we will have a problem though, I can't wait for the first significant snowfall.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dabitz said:
I know... you could climb a mountain with those tires!
My husband was a little miffed the other day when he realized the my JC has the same sized tires as his new Rubicon. He is already making plans to upgrade to 35s, I told him he couldn't until the 31s wore out, which won't be too long with all the trail riding we have been doing and we actually take the Rubicon more than we do the JC.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great Video!

Living in northwest Georgia - I will be happy if I EVER get to drive in an inch of snow :p Although the JC does handle great in the heavy rains we occassionaly get :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's a great vid. I had a pic of that XK as a screensaver at work for the longest time. That XK has just about everything one would need to do serious wheelin. I was waiting to see a vid of it wheelin! Cool

·
Registered
170 Posts
I drove our Commander in 2 ft of snow from new mexico to Durnago in January earlier this year. have a Limited with Hemi...I've had many 4x4s but nothing has ever worked so well in the snow than the Commander.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This just in.

Here in Chicago we got hit 12" (not enough) of snow (higher in side streets, i.e; parallel parking - in/out - easy. No need plowing my driveway as well :D ).
Since I have QT1, I am curious as well as to how it will perform.

Well, worry not QT1 owners. The performance and results were more than what I expected, no slips. Tires are awesome too, I didn't feel like I was floating. The car goes through and feel all wheel responds aggressively. I am not disappointed.

Just FYI, we currently own an XK and an XJ (modified).
Prior, I've owned 3 other 4x4 truck, in case others may question as to what I'm comparing it to.

Proud to say QT1 :cool:
Share us your snow/winter experience.

TIA

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can we get some pics? It wouild be nice to see the XK playing in the snow :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts