Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The commander has only been out a few months. What do you all think? Do you think the problems thus far are minor, average, moderate, excessive? I wish I could of made a poll with this question. For some reason I couldn't. maximo

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd say, at least as far as the threads on this Forum are concerned, slightly better than average. The transmission harness problems and the very few oil leaks come to mind; anything else was just minor.
One thing I've noticed that I don't think has been mentioned is the increase in interior air pressure with both rear-door windows fully down; I've experienced the effect in both my ears. [If it hurts when you do that, don't do that!]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Every car I've ever owned had that pressure thing with the rear window(s) down...the only issues I've had so far (3K miles) were some minor hood vibration at highway speeds (fixed by adjusting threaded bumpers) and, interestingly, the gas filler bulkhead shroud (plastic thing around the filler neck) coming loose (I actually think it was loose when I drove off the dealer's lot) - I was able to carefully pry it back in place.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't mean any sarcasm, but if you're going fast enough for the pressure to increase in the car you may come to the point the car will be airborn at one time and that is a lot faster than your guardian angel can fly! 'nuff said.

·
Registered
80 Posts
we have about 6000 mi. on ours and no complaints at all. no problems. great dealer service . ( ontario auto center). Oh yeah, the chrome hood deflector we sent back was a pos. This is by far (so far) the nicest set of wheels we've had. our honda pilot was sweet but not 4x. so far no leaks, no bongs, no a/c vibes, etc... it just hauls --- and smoothly too. it tows great and there's plenty of room. if we had to commute then we would go out and get a cheap little go kart for that. 13.7 mpg avg is not so great but what? was anyone surprised? if anyone is then all i can say is: ignorant. oh yeah mikey if you don't like the gas tank thing then bolt some jerry cans to it . I have no problem with the size of the fuel tank. I have less weight to carry around. ( to look at it more positively) Man, I love our commander!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had more dealer problems (HB Jeep) than Commander problems. They took longer than they told me to get my wheels chromed when I took delivery of the jeep (and even tried to pawn off the problem to their supplier/vendor and have us contact the vendor directly)...
Also, when the pasenger door window was replaced due to a crack that existed before I bought the jeep, the mechanic scratched the top of the door when they took the old window / put the new one in. We had to go back and have them buff out as much as they could...

I've also had problems with aftermarket (Aries OffRoad). I'm on my 3rd set of Nerf Bars due to incorrect fitment. The latest set has an uneveness problem. I'm about to get my money back... unless I can easily rig it to look decent. Those at the Hooters meet tomorrow will see for yourselves.

Other than that... only good times and compliments from people.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Aside from my eternal gripe about the gas tank size, no complains whatsoever and have not seen any defects. 3500 miles on V8 4.7.:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh, yeah, this is a "funny" one. There was a big rain while I was in the gym and when I came out it was nice and fresh so I rolled down the window... When I got the car to about 20 mph, a stream of water, apparently just sitting on the roof until this very moment just poured into the cabin. They must have some goofy crevice for "storing" water on roof. Needless to say, I rolled the window up right away and in a few moments, at about 40 mph, the second gush of water came done as a waterfall, this time, lucky enough, on the window surface. This did not bug me too much but I know better for the future to drive out after the rain first with windows closed for a first minute and then open it. I also installed a net at the trunk so now stuff is no longer flying out when I open the rear hatch door which was a real pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overall, a great truck, if you could only get it serviced, and if DC would alleviate their supply chain management problems with regard to getting parts into the dealers on a more timely basis! (See my comments regarding A/C trouble).

I think it really has more to do with the individual service departments, and I bought mine at a 5 STAR ELITE dealership, to hopefully, receive better service, and up to this point, have been nothing but disappointed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an undate. The salesperson just called, and after talking to him, I think that he will be able to help me out with the problems. Still not convinced on the customer service orientation of the service department, but was reassuring that my salesperson at least showed a genuine interest in my frustration. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
mikey said:
I also installed a net at the trunk so now stuff is no longer flying out when I open the rear hatch door which was a real pain.
Where did you get your net?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far - love the truck!

We bought it a few months ago and are pushing 4500k miles. Only time it was at the dealership was to install nerf bars and fix the windshield morse code noise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Creek said:
Where did you get your net?

My Dealer gave me a net for free. It installs like a trunk net. the only problem is that it isn't very big, so bigger objects wont fit into it.

As for the problems with the Commander, somebody said they are just "intro year annoyances", and that is true. I was suprised however witht eh amount of problems with the Jeep since it is a DC product. I have owned nothing but DC products for about 20 years now, and the Commander is the only car where I have had any problems at all.

But all things aside, this is my wife's favorite car since her 1990 Caravan. We just can't get over the quietness and the ride of the Commander since it is an SUV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need advice- XK Overland problems

Hi,
I have had my XK 6 mos or so. The NAV system has been replaced 2x. The rear hatch doesn't always work w/the remote. Dealer said they know about this problem but Jeep doesn't have a solution for the problem. Anyone else encounter this problem? Also, we tow our XK with a 42' Diesel Pusher and when we disconnect from the tow bar and start to drive the Jeep, for several days we have this smell like burning rubber. The dealer stated Jeep has not heard of this problem and had no solutions. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Patricia

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Hi,
I have had my XK 6 mos or so. The NAV system has been replaced 2x. The rear hatch doesn't always work w/the remote. Dealer said they know about this problem but Jeep doesn't have a solution for the problem. Anyone else encounter this problem? Also, we tow our XK with a 42' Diesel Pusher and when we disconnect from the tow bar and start to drive the Jeep, for several days we have this smell like burning rubber. The dealer stated Jeep has not heard of this problem and had no solutions. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Patricia
Out of curiosity, Patricia, when you tow the XK, do you just toss it into Neutral, or do you do the part where you push in the little Neutral divot in shift cluster. There is a very specific method you have to do in order to flat tow a 4x4. Its in the manual, maybe I can find it... stand by.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
As I promised...

And the last page of that section says, "Do not use bumper mounted clamp on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face bar will be damaged." I would have put a pic of that too, but I didn't want to start yet another post. =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I appreciate your help but this is my 2nd Jeep and I know the procedure for towing as stated and followed in the XK manual.
Thanks,
Patricia

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
:pokeowned: Ouch... You got told by the new guy.. or I mean gal! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts