Jeep Commander Forum banner

Commander research

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  a49erFan 
#1 ·
I am looking into getting a new Commander as we now have 2 kids, my current Jeep fills up quick. I would be using it on some trails, nothing too crazy as it would be my DD as well but I would be looking into some lift and ATs or MTs. My question is if there is anything I should specifically look for in these vehicles, either by year or if there are certain parts that are know to have issues (like the window regulators or LBJs on my KJ). Also what are some of your favorite things about your Commander? Thank you in advance for your input and advice. -Nate

#2 ·
From my experience here, I always recommend these things:

1. 5.7L Hemi - No one ever is unhappy with getting it over the smaller engines and the MPG is not significantly worse than the other V8.

2. Get the QD-II transmission.

3. The ~2" lifts seem to be about equal in quality and reliability (RR, Teraflex, etc). The 4" Superlifts look nice but require more love to maintain.

4. If you can, get the extended warranty. Things do have a tendency to act funny sometimes and the peace of mind is well worth the cost.

5. If you can, check to see if the sunroof or pillars leak when it rains.

6. Check the transmission lines for leaks (there are some current threads about this).

7. The windshield has a tendency to develop little pits from the road dust and rocks - I don't think there is a lot you can do about it.

8. My favorite things are the sunroof, the moon roofs in back, the heated seats (in the winter) and the ability to go anywhere.

9. I like the AT tires because they are a good cross between the street tires and the mud tires. They have good traction in all conditions and get the job done on the road and on the dirt and mud.

#3 ·
I really like my 07 Commander Ltd with the Hemi and QDII. I agree with everything Polar said above. I like the comfortable seats, creature comforts in the Limited, reserve power of Hemi (or you could go 4.7L V8), trailer towing capacity and I like the looks and the peace of mind of curtain side airbags and a solid vehicle.

I rarely use the 3rd row seats but nice to have on ocassion. So my third row is folded down most of the time.

I might be luckier than some. I have 60,000 miles and no problems.

I recommend you review the Jeep official site for how the various 4x4 systems work on the Commander to help you choose what you prefer and what you might settle for. http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/

The Commander can come 4x2 so don't get it by mistake as one or two people have.

The 4x4 flavors are QuadraTrac I (fulltime 4wd, no 4LO); QuadraTrac II (fulltime 4wd, with selectable 4LO) and QuadraDrive II (fulltime 4wd with selectable 4LO and has electronic limited slip differentials front and rear, which will go from free spin to fully locked and anything in between automatically).

I have the QD II and it is awesome. One thing, with these vehicles, be sure you run the same size, brand, model, etc tires on all 4 wheels including the spare so you do not ruin the transfer case and diffs.

If you put on a lift with bigger tires, note that some larger tires will not fit in the normal spare tire location under the vehicle and you will need to store it elsewhere.

Good luck and let us know what you find as you shop. We like to share our opinions whether you want them or not. ;)

#4 ·
Wow! great responses guys, thanks for the info. I just read the 4x4 comparos on Jeep.com, looks like there is no way I will get the QuadraTrac I and will be looking for the QuadraTrac II unless the QuadraDrive II is not that much more for it (4x2 not an option either). I was thinking I would start looking at the 4.7 (would obviously love the HEMI) because the 3.7 is the same I have in my KJ and I think it would be dogging a bit under the extra weight especially after skids, tires, kids, gear etc. Thanks again and now I will have some tangibles to look at when I finally get in one.

#5 · (Edited)
If you have the paticance to keep it as 55 to 50 MPH the Hemi gets 20MPG realy life hiway miliage too ... if you ever want to trade it in the Hemi and "Limited" trim level holds more value too

Make sure to so some typical (for you) offroading before you go with a lift see if you are bottoming out very often or if you are having trouble getting throguh trails with the stock susepsion and tired.

... I was big on a lift beofre I saw how well the Commander does without it ... I've woned a lot of 4X4's over theyears and the the QDII is unbiliveable for traction I have no intention of gettng a lift at this time

On the other hand if you just like the look of a lift and bigger tires I can see that ... the Commander looks great set up like that.

I have had no problems with mine it's an 06 limited with the hemi

#6 ·
On the highway, my HEMI gets more than 10mpg. Usually around 15-17mpg. City is about 11-13. The best speed on the interstate is right around 68.3mph (just after the engine drop the RPMs down to about 1700) with cruise control.

The tow package and skid plates are a must as well. I don't tow much, but the system itself recently saved me from scraping my rear bumper when I was coming off a steep downslope. The hitch receiver scraped the ground, but the bumper was good to go.

#8 · (Edited)
On the highway, my HEMI gets more than 10mpg.
Sorry sorry! :(

Post edited I meant to say 20mpg.

Yes I agree The tow package is a big plus ... the hitch is great, but it also includes more cooling capacity

#7 ·
From the sound of it I think you would like either one of the V8's. I have the 3.7/QT1 and I am very pleased with it. I don't do the kind of wheeling you are experianced in so I think QT1 would leave you a little dissapointed.

Don't get me wrong. I have been axle deep in the mud with QT1 and have gotten out. But 4Lo would be nice. I would have the guts to try some more things if I had that.

#9 ·
I think you would be quite happy with the 4.7L. Once in a while you can find a 4.7L with QDII but most of the 4.7L come with QT II, which is still a very good 4x4 system. I agree you can do a lot without a lift. I think tire tread design makes a big difference. And you can put 255/70/17's on a stock setup.

#11 ·
All the posts above are spot on. Among my favorite attributes of the Commander is its disdain for snow. Traveling from Philly to South Bend Ind. or to New Hampshire in the winter used to be problematic. Now driving in snow has gone from a chore to an amusement. That is even with the so so stock tires.

Commanders come with a long list of features to take you on and off road in style and comfort, but in addition to what the others have mentioned I am going to add something simple and mundane. I've found the crossbars for the roof rack essential. The five of us and the dog fill up the Commander pretty quick, and its nice to give everyone plenty of wiggle room on a long trip. So a cargo basket up top gives everyone plenty of space and that keeps the bickering to a minimum.

#12 ·
My 2 cents = I have the 2007 Hemi, limited, Its a great ride. I added Airlift bags to the back end, (I pull a 28' trailer every weekend) 40 lbs of air in the tires, an Aeroturbine resonated muffler and a programmer. On controlled trips my mileage has increased from the first trip @ 15.3 MPG to the last after the mods @ 18.6 MPG. this is combined highway and city driving.

#13 ·
06 with 34k. io also bought it for road trips for the family. its in the shop on a routine basis. right now im getting my tranny looked at and have a rental car. planning on getting rid of it soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.