Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is what I am wondering. I am just about to purchase an 06 with 26K miles and am wondering if this car is really for me. I am looking for an SUV for hauling. I have two dogs and they go everywhere with us so I am looking for cargo space that will be accommodating for them. They are Australian Shepherds so not to huge. I will always have the 3rd row seat down so they have more space. We also like to camp and have a cabin in northern MN. We will be pulling a 3000 pound boat and putting canoes on the roof rack. Gas mileage is a little bit of a concern but I am going to be getting the V6. If anyone has any suggestions if we will enjoy this car for what we do, PLEASEE let me know! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
So here is what I am wondering. I am just about to purchase an 06 with 26K miles and am wondering if this car is really for me. I am looking for an SUV for hauling. I have two dogs and they go everywhere with us so I am looking for cargo space that will be accommodating for them. They are Australian Shepherds so not to huge. I will always have the 3rd row seat down so they have more space. We also like to camp and have a cabin in northern MN. We will be pulling a 3000 pound boat and putting canoes on the roof rack. Gas mileage is a little bit of a concern but I am going to be getting the V6. If anyone has any suggestions if we will enjoy this car for what we do, PLEASEE let me know! Thanks.
I think 3000 lbs is near the capacity of the 3.7L. You can take the 3rd row seats out completely for more room. Is it 4wd? Do you want or need 4wd. Probably would be benefitial to have it going to northern MN. Other than my concern for hauling the boat (you can double check the towing capacity) I think the Commander would be great for this. The additional height of the Commander in the back will help with space for the dogs. My wife has 2 ausies but we dont take them with us often.-

Regarding gas mileage, you have a certain amount of control over that if you take it easy on acceleration and keep your speed down to 70 or less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks a lot guy's for the fast responses. I am not to worried about towing the boat very far. Its only about a mile drive from the cabin garage to the boat landing. And when we take a boat back home with us it is much lighter then the big boat. I did not know that the third row seats come all the way out. Is there a picture of what that looks like online anywhere? Oh and it is a 4X4.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I did not know that the third row seats come all the way out.
The third row seats are not made to be readily removable but they can be unbolted and removed. They are VERY heavy.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thanks a lot guy's for the fast responses. I am not to worried about towing the boat very far. Its only about a mile drive from the cabin garage to the boat landing. And when we take a boat back home with us it is much lighter then the big boat. I did not know that the third row seats come all the way out. Is there a picture of what that looks like online anywhere? Oh and it is a 4X4.
Well, if you're not hauling the boat every weekend, it should be ok. I had a 4.0L Grand Cherokee and it got poor gas mileage and poor performance hauling about 2500 - 3000 pound trailer. But once in a while its ok I guess. It is sounding good for you.

Oh, about the 3rd row seats. I have not taken them out. I don't know how hard/easy it is to go in and out. And don't have pics. But someone will chime in on that.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for finding the picture! I think I will keep them in, anyone know the height of the cargo space with the 3rd row seat folded down?

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I think it's right for you.....it's a hot looking vehicle and will be good for your hauling. GET-R-DONE!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like this vehicle is tailored to your needs...be sure to go with one of the v8's tho...

·
Registered
98 Posts
From your description of requirements, the Commander should work for you. The Commander is a very nice SUV that blends robust off-road capability with comfort. The only downside I see is its poor mileage (even with the V6 engine).

I would drive all the engines before making a purchase decision. I went with the V8/4.7L because it provides nearly the same mileage as the V6, but much better torque and acceleration. The Hemi is a blast to drive, but you pay a lot more since it’s only available in the “loaded” models.

With the 3rd row seat in place and folded-up for extra passenger seating, you have no cargo room. In fact that is why the Commander failed in the marketplace. The Suburban has plenty of cargo space while still accommodating passengers in the 3rd row seat.
Thanks for finding the picture! I think I will keep them in, anyone know the height of the cargo space with the 3rd row seat folded down?
With the 3rd row seat folded-down, you have this cargo dimension: 33”x40”x45” (HxDxW). The height dimension I mention is the maximum inside the vehicle, but you have a lip at the top that reduces the “loading dimension” by a couple of inches.

If you remove the 3rd row seat, you have lots of vertical height.

--Spike

·
Registered
329 Posts
When buying used, there isn't much difference in cost between the 6 and 8. Since the gas mileage is similar, the best choice for your use is the 4.7 V8 (In my opinion of course).

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well, Mesaba, how is the Commander shopping going? Notice I didn't say how is the vehicle shopping going. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ditto on the v-8,,,you are better off & the difference is not that much in MPG but big in performance. Also the less strain you put on any engine the more life you get out of it. The Commander is a great ride one of the best vehicles, if not the best I have owned. But From what your describing I wonder if you would not be better off with a Pickup, you can haul the dogs all your equipment & sleep in the back. I have a 04 PSD that gets a combined 18MPG which is better than my HEMI (16-17 combined). You would not even know you were pulling 3K of weight with it! Check out the prices the dealers are trying to unload them! good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "Commander" shopping is going good but its on hold for four days because I am away for work "airline". I am still looking at a V6, its a 2006 65th model. I am also going to check out the 4.7. Will keep you informed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finnaly got my Commander today. I got a 06, V-6. I choose the V6 because we already have a V-8 Grand Cherokee so I am not really looking for anything to pull my boat. I love it so far, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Enjoy your Commander Mesaba. Let us know of your adventures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts