Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a curiosity thing. I saw a couple of video of what I believe was the devil's punch bowl in Utah with a couple wranglers that rolled over. I know the commander doesn't have a roll bar.

While I am not interesting in finding out first hand, if a commander rolled over does the roof have enough support to keep the passenger compartment reasonably intact? It is a very heavy vehicle so I was wondering if the roof would collapse if it rolled. I am hoping nobody has first hand experience. It seams like all the info on the google-box I could find is related to how likely the jeep would be to tip on the road.

·
1,993 Posts
Considering how stiff the Jeep is even with the doors open with tires off the ground leads me to believe the B-pillars are pretty strong. The lack of windshield angle would help as well. I think it would fair better then most vehicles in a roll but I'm sure it would collapse in a roll. IMO it would hold up enough for you to survive in a reasonable roll.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i know on jeeps website back when the jeep xk was on there they should pictures of the steel cage that surrounds the vehicle including the roof so imo it would callapse but not to bad like say a explorer.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
There are pictures or crashed/rolled Commanders on the forum. I remember one where they had to pull it out of trees! I don't remember where they are, though. :(

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I thought there were some sort of rollover standards, maybe that is just the likelyhood to tip over when turning the vehicle.

With the media the way it is today, I would think if people were killed by a collapsing roof on Commanders, we would hear about it in the news. Like most vehicles, if it rolls, the vehicle is totalled, to much body damage, how much the roof crushes in is just a matter of it is enough to hurt the passengers. Its sorta a mote point, unless you fear for safety in a roll-over.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
From the links SAL posted it looks like the passenger compartment holds up pretty good in a rollover. But don't let the roof hit a pole:

Fatal Crash In Waukegan

October 23, 2006, 2:52 PM CDT
WAUKEGAN, Ill. (STNG) -- A Beach Park man was killed and a Gurnee woman injured Monday morning when their cars collided at a north suburban Waukegan intersection.

Witnesses told police that at about 8:20 a.m., Kery Bond of Beach Park was driving a Jeep Commander southbound on Route 43 entering the Norman Drive intersection when a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, driven by Ashley Story, turned westbound from the northbound lanes on Route 43 and struck Bond's vehicle, according to a release from Waukegan police.

The impact caused the Commander to slide across the intersection and strike a traffic light support, police said.

According to the release, Bond, 35,who suffered internal injuries, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Lake County Coroner's office.

Story, 42, was transported to Condell Health Network in Libertyville with a broken leg, the release said. She was treated and released. The Gurnee woman was cited with making an improper left turn, Waukegan police Cmdr. Wayne Walles said.

Story and Bond were the only occupants in their vehicles, the release said.

Waukegan Police Major Traffic Accident Investigators continue to investigate the accident.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
There are pictures or crashed/rolled Commanders on the forum. I remember one where they had to pull it out of trees! I don't remember where they are, though. :(

Woman Had Medical Emergency Before Fatal Crash

(GARY, Ind.) The northwest Indiana woman killed in a crash Wednesday afternoon was already unconscious when she lost control of her SUV in Gary, police said Thursday.

"She had a medical emergency causing her to become unconscious," Gary police Cpl. Derrick Cannon said.

Yolanda Gary, 52, and her son, Hilton Johnson, 17, were both ejected from the Jeep Commander as it flipped over, sailed through the air and hit a light pole, a fence and several trees on the west side of Broadway near 47th Avenue in Gary.

Gary's body was cut into pieces as her SUV broke apart during the crash. Cannon said the extensive wreckage prevented investigators from determining if she or her son were wearing seat belts.

Police noted trees showed marks from the Jeep as high as 12 feet from the ground.

Johnson suffered a broken arm and was treated at the hospital.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I'd lay down a bet that crash was exceeding posted speed limits...wow! Death scene for sure.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
From the links SAL posted it looks like the passenger compartment holds up pretty good in a rollover. But don't let the roof hit a pole:

Let's have Subway name a sandwich after this: Introducing the "New Commander Wrap"! :banana_hitit:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I know it's not the same vehicle, but my wife rolled her Liberty a few years ago, icey roads. It landed upright, all doors opened and closed like nothing had happened. I've always felt Jeeps were built tough and the roll reenforced my beliefs. That's why I drive the Commander and my wife drives the Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I know it's not the same vehicle, but my wife rolled her Liberty a few years ago, icey roads. It landed upright, all doors opened and closed like nothing had happened. I've always felt Jeeps were built tough and the roll reenforced my beliefs. That's why I drive the Commander and my wife drives the Cherokee.
Thats a rare set of circumstances, usually when a vehicle rolls over, just about every piece of sheetmetal gets messed up enough, it makes it impractical to repair.

Every once in a while, you hit an imbankment just right with just the right speed to minimize the damage and be practical to repair.

I rolled a '73 Dodge Charger, blown off the road in a weird winter storm that sprung up. The motor was still running while I was upside down, I to shut it off with the key. A tow truck pulled me right side up again, I had to re-fill the fluids and put plastic over the broken rear window and continued on my way. (I had to sell the vehicle for parts though, all the sheetmetal was bent up, windshield cracked severly, etc, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts