Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the Commander is selling and what the numbers are? Just wondering if it is meeting DC expectations or if it is coming up short.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Theres a crap load over here in dearborn, but dearborn is like a trendy city where everyone has to have the newest stuff regardless of the price so idk

·
Registered
5 Posts
A quick Google search turned up the following, which doesn't look so good:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/29/jeep-commander-a-flop-not-quite/
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060327/FREE/60326003/1041
http://www.moreaboutautos.com/article/jeep-commander%3A-stuck-in-a-sales-rut/

IMHO, I'm quite surprised. After test driving several SUV's and even a couple minivans, the Commander was the best of the bunch, which probably explains why there's one parked in our garage right now. :) Although, I guess I should be grateful, as the high rebates made for a much better deal.

Brandon

·
Registered
476 Posts
One thing that we need to keep in mind is that this is the intro year for the Commander. When considering the Commander I had many people make comments as to they would never buy an intro year vehicle due to all of the issues they seem to have. Those of us that like living on the edge do not care if it is an intro year and are usually the high risk takers.

The other issue facing the Commander is timing and the high cost of fuel. Many people that would normally consider buying any SUV are holding off due to the poor gas milage they get. On the other hand - those that can afford a $40+ K machine AND be comfortable with the payments are not concerned with the cost of fuel.

Just give it a little time... I think we will see sales increase ove the next 2 years. In the meanwhile enjoy being part of a rare breed!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I remember reading when the Commander was introduced that out of every four Grand Cherokees sold, one would be a Commander. That's 25% of Grand Cherokee production numbers.

I think the Commander is doing pretty much what is expected. I agree that timing is bad of any new mid-size SUV doing well now. Everything I read says that the full-size SUV buyer is not as concerned with fuel prices as the the mid-size buyer is. Lets face it, the SUV popularity has peaked and that masses are on to buying something else like smaller cross-overs or large sedans or wagons. GM and Ford are talking about the future of their truck based mid-size SUV's (Explorer and Trailblazer) and what to do to the next generation because they see the hand writing on the wall. Sales are only going to get worse for these models. Grand Cherokee and Commanders will have similiar problems and that it why DC is expanding the Jeep lineup with smaller new models. Even the new 08 Liberty will be a little larger than the current model to give people that feel the GC and Commander is too large for them.
I love my Commander, but it is very expensive to operate and if I wasn't such a hardcore Jeep fan there would have been much "smarter" purchases.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just conducted a YAHOO search and found the following headline. I am also posting the link for those interesed in reading the full article: :D

PR NEWS TODAY:
"Chrysler Group 2005 U.S. Sales Rise 5 Percent, Highest Since 2000; December Sales Decline In Line with Overall Industry
* Chrysler Brand Yearly Sales Increase 11 Percent * Dodge Magnum Yearly Sales Rise 34 Percent * Jeep(R) Brand Monthly Sales Rise 41 Percent to New Sales Record; Total Year Sales Increase 12 Percent * All-new Jeep Commander Sales Rise 105 Percent Over November 2005 Sales * Jeep Liberty Sets New Monthly Record with 38 Percent Increase * Jeep Grand Cherokee Monthly Sales Rise 7 Percent"

"Jeep(R) brand sales for the month increased 41 percent to 53,218 units compared to December 2004 sales of 37,730 units. Each nameplate in the Jeep lineup performed well in December.

The all-new seven-passenger Jeep Commander continues to attract new customers, posting sales of 8,458 units, rising 105 percent over November 2005 sales."

http://www.prnewstoday.com/release.htm?cat=auto&dat=20060104&rl=DEW02004012006-1

GOOOOOOO COMMANDER!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Voodoo^..^aster said:
I saw something in the Automotive News a while back that said Jeep had sold something like 48,000 for the first half of the year. I will see if I can find the exact number.

Not sure what the goals were though.

Ron
The goal was 70,000 units per model year.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I never saw JC on the road until I bought mine. Now I see them everywhere.
But that was the same with the GTI I owned previously. Never saw any silver ones til I bought one. There are too many silver GTI's on the road. But that is not a concern anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.