Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

I joined this forum a while back and the depth of knowledge to be found here is so comprehensive I have not needed to post until now...

I have a 2007 Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi bought 2 years ago with 125K miles.

Taking it off road this past weekend the Jeep started refusing to start. It got so bad at one point that I had to drop the front skid plate and wiggle the yellow wire going to the starter motor with a long wrench - then it started up again.

The battery is new, the engine was a rebuild 25K miles ago, and all electrics working in good order and no codes are being set.

Now that I'm home I removed the drivers side front fenderwell inner liner, and can just feel - but not see - the starter motor solenoid wires. The large gauge wire connections are tight, but the small gauge yellow wire is loose, wiggles and sides fore and aft a little bit.

My question for you Good Folks is basically: How do I remove this wire (by feel), then tighten the spade connecter inside, then reinstall it so I have a more secure connection?

Some of the comments on Commander starter motor problems on this Board mention using "electrically conductive grease" - which I have no knowledge of as I've never had to use it - and to pull the wire off, clean the connections. But my wire seems locked on the male spade terminal coming out of the starter solenoid...

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated - and I apologize in advance for the extreme "newbie" tone of this question...

Thanks very kindly Folks!

Les

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Followup question...I was trying to pull the switch wire off the starter motor solenoid and encountered too much resistance so I stopped pulling on as I didn't want to break it...does anybody know how to remove the wire safely? Does it just pull straight off? It's in such a tight location and the starter motor heat shield is covering it that I can barely get my fingers on it and can't actually see the connector end...I sure as hell don't want to break anything as replacing the starter motor might be a multi-day chore it's wedged in there so tight in the Hemi Commander engine bay...

Thanks Folks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts