Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! 3 separate times now I've gotten back into my 06, 3.7 Commander just to have nothing but a "click" when trying to start it. Each time if I take it out of park and then put it back in, it will start. But I don't know if it will always work and I'm trying to fix it. One guy on youtube found that the yellow wire to the starter comes loose in his case but mine is solid.
Is there some sort of "switch" that makes sure that the Jeep is in park before it is allowed to start that may be going bad? Has anyone else had this problem? And oh yes - it does seem that every once in a while even when it does turn over there is a VERY slight pause before it turns over. It may just be me but it seems like it...
Thank you for any input!!!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is not that the yellow wire on the starter gets loose but the connection gets corroded and makes poor contact. You need to remove the connector clean it and re-install it.

Though if you are getting a click but not turning over the starter check your battery cables and clean the battery connections as well as the battery ground wire connections. Unbolt the ground connector where it attaches to the block, clean and put back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, B! I'm gonna try some of that. And I think you're right with respect to the yellow connector... I couldn't understand why his kept coming loose and I assumed that it was a press-connection. After fooling with it I don't believe it is and your suggestion is prolly a good thing to do. At worst it'll take it off of my list of possible problems! Thanks for the help!
Come to think of it, I should have stated that the battery checks good at 12.6 with "cracking amps" a strong test, too. The alternator is charging at 14.4 so it's good, too.
Thanks again and I'll update when I get a chance to work on it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes - is there any sort of switch that is associated with the shifter and the ability to start? Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
All cars with automatic transmissions have a switch to keep the starter from operating unless the transmission is in Park or neutral. I haven’t looked at where it is on the commander yet but another thing to try to confirm it’s the switch would be put it in and try to start it.
I’m traveling so I can’t look through the service manual right now but you are in the right track regarding the neutral safety switch. I believe that’s what it’s called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Sevenjays! Thanks for the suggestion! It is referred to as the Neutral Safety Switch all over the internet but I just can't find where it is on my 2006 Commander 3.7. Youtube has a couple videos on a Grand Cherokee's NSS but nothing for a Commander and my tranny is the MAG and not the 35RFE, so I opened up my Service Manual (PDF format) and can't find a thing! The index even has a sensors and switches section listing all in a row, but nothing. I went to RockAuto and searched for the switch and again nothing. I then did a web search, and nothing... One post suggested that the NSS is part of the transmission range sensor or TRS, but again I can't find any information on it. I appreciate your help but when you get home would you mind looking at your service manual to see if it has any information? I'm stumped!!! Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay - with a bit more effort I "think" I found it in the description of the Transmission Range Sensor. Many models have this on the outside of the trans for easy access but it appears that my rig has it on the inside of the transmission. I've replaced the solenoid pack in my WJ and this NAG tranny is a bit different but I think I could do it... it's gonna be a TON of MESSY work, tho!!! Especially since I'll be lying on my back and not standing under a lift! ;-)
Before I attempt - anyone with any thoughts?
Thanks all! At the very least maybe others cam use the info I've researched!!!
TRS.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
It looks like you found it. Sorry it’s going to be so difficult to replace but from the description I would think that’s it. I had expected it to be external as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts