Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I have seen this in the past, or maybe I was dreaming...

just picture this, and tell me if i'm crazy...

open back hatch, fold row2 and row3 down, then there should be some tent material contraption that will attach to the open hatch at the top and on the back bumper (or possibly a fold out attachment for more length) that will create a tent-styled opening at the back end.

Now, am I crazy? :rolleyes:

I will take only minimal credit if someone develops this... or maybe I will if i ever get into being more mechanical... or maniacal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gitchuone - you are not totally crazy. Google "JEEP TENT" and you should have several results that show a dome type tent that attaches to the rear end of the GC, Wrangler or Liberty. Have not yet found one configured for the Commanders wide rear end!

Hope this link works:

http://www.jeepworld.com/merchandise/jeeptent.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That is awesome... the pictures would be cool if they zoomed in a bit. Oh well... a smaller version would be cool too where it doesn't go on the ground, just utilize the space of the JC, just sleep 2 people in the back. TO THE DRAWING BOARDS!! :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Could always come up with a platform that connects to the hitch receiver - say - 5' X 5' ...and then have a set of folding steps off the back ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh that would be totally sweet. i'll at least have some time to develop this since camping this summer in AZ is pretty much out of the question due to sporatic forest fires. :-(

·
Registered
110 Posts
JustForJeeps said:
I got the tent for a little cheaper:

http://store.justforjeeps.com/tent.html

Thanks!
Peter
Peter,

I've seen photos of this tent hooked up to various SUVs, but I've never inspected one in person. Questions:

Does this tent snug around the rear hatch area well enough to leave the hatch open/lifted throughout the night to have open acccess between the tent body and the vehicle?

Also, can the hatch be opened and closed while this tent is attached?

Thanks,
XKPearl

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Maybe a silly question, but can the tent be used without attaching it to an SUV?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts