Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined so I guess an introduction would be appropriate. My name is Joe and I own a high-end customizing shop on LI, NY. I own a Chrysler 300 SRT8 and an 07 Commander U package. I recently landed a pretty good gig featuring my shop during a build of a car of my choice. It's nice that it's a car of my choice, it's not nice that I get no finance help at all. The show will be on ESPN2 this Spring.

The reason I am posting here is because I decided to rip apart my Commander and completely custom build it. No better place to get ideas then at the forum. With that said, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for some products they have used and love I would sure appreciate you sharing. Thanks for taking the time to read and participate in this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CanadianJeepYJ said:
Don't "Dub" it up.

Put a lift kit, big tires, flood lights, etc.

That would be a nice looking vehicle
Thanks for your thoughts. That's been done a bunch already though. My thought is to go with luxury street style with beach capability. But definately not DUB style.

·
Registered
379 Posts
DO a search on this site for "mods" or something more specific. You'll see a bunch of tire rim options used from street to off road. Something else that is mentioned here a bit is to lose the amber signals and some black out on some of the other lenses. Maybe your thinking is more to just redoing the lights altogether, I'm not sure.Ther ehave been a couple lo ride pics done also on this site.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IF you look at the heritage of the Commander name there are some themes you might consider. For example, the Commander as a military title has a great deal of differing meaning throughout the ages..Commander of an fleet or of a vessel comes to mind. It would be difficult to pull that off. Command of an operation perhaps. Command of a type of off roading..lots of ways to go.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I doubt I would have much interest in seeing a "street custom" model of any jeep, but if you could find or make a hidden front winch bumper, along with the lift and all that would be interesting to me. john

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
John said:
I doubt I would have much interest in seeing a "street custom" model of any jeep, but if you could find or make a hidden front winch bumper, along with the lift and all that would be interesting to me. john
I agree, some vehicles are just not designed to be a "street custom". Jeeps are designed as a 4X4 for one primary reason, and that is to take them OFF the street. I understand that there are some people who like that look, a few are members of this forum, but the majority or JEEP and Commander owners would never consider doing a lowering job or other similar projects to thier vehicle.

If you really want to represent a Commander in it's true environment, make it the ultimate OFF road recreation vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I could see a beach Commander with luxury styling in and out. And definitely a hidden front winch!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
YB Normyl said:
How radical do you want to go? Here's a photoshop of a cross between a Commander and Jeep Trailhawk.

Using the above photo as inspiration, add a pop up camper roof like on the Volkswagen Westfalia buses.

Remove all the seats from second row back and make it a go anywhere camper. Add a winch to the front.

That's all I have for now.

Do you have a website with photos of previous work? Maybe we can help more if we see your "portfolio".

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'd be a lot more likely to watch a show that featured a street custom jeep than an offroad one. Everyone has seen a lifted, monster tired, offset with spacers instead of correct rims, beat up on rocks, Jeep. Not many people have seen a slick, clean, nice handling, custom street Jeep. And most of those that have hate them because they think all Jeeps belong on a trail being torn up, and don't understand that it can take more work to make them suitable for the street than for the trail.

·
Registered
521 Posts
And the floodgates have opened. I can guess that this thread is going to build rapidly.

I think a cross between street and offroad is the way to go. Going with a nice set of wheels and bigger tires, a custom interior, and some nice add ons is a good start.

I suggest searching for life packages and spacers.
Go to AEV http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/show_xk_iceland.php for some inspiration. If you could pull off the hidden wench you would get some mad respect from commander owners.
Some key XK's I would look at for some ideas are: GE2 (good look with SRT8 wheels), ubercommander, iowa commander, a49erFootballFan, Phunkeydude, and many more

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, awesome thoughts! Thanks!! This is going to take a lot of thought. My shop customized luxury and exotics automobiles. Everything from the Chrysler 300 to Ferrari and Lamborghini. So this is a little different for us. I don't have anyone on staff to specialize in off-road type of customizations. Not that I can't do it, I would rather stick with what we do best. I really dig the above picture. I have seen it before and it's kind of where we are headed. Please keep up the comments, I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Distinct Rides,

Saw your post and couldn't resist... First of all congratulations on the show, sucks that you have to fund it but at least your shps getting national exposure. I 've include 2 VERY rough conceptual drawings of what I would do to my Commander if I had the resources (money, tools, talent) to do it. It's somewhat "different" approach and involves some serious body/structural work. The concept is a very utility almost expedition/rescue ops. oriented rig that would mix both form, function, on road drivability and off road capability to the fullest. The rear cargo/3rd seat section of the roof has been removed, rear window placed behind thend row seat and a mini truck be created out of the once 3rd seat area. for a more "civilian" oriented rig you could leave in the 3rd row seat and create a removable rear window/divider for open air driving. For a "utility/rescue" oriented rig remove teh seats to make room for utiliies such as on-board-air tanks, generators, etc..etc... sorry if i rambled, this post just got me excited as building one of these things has always been a dream...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HSG said:
Distinct Rides,

Saw your post and couldn't resist... First of all congratulations on the show, sucks that you have to fund it but at least your shps getting national exposure. I 've include 2 VERY rough conceptual drawings of what I would do to my Commander if I had the resources (money, tools, talent) to do it. It's somewhat "different" approach and involves some serious body/structural work. The concept is a very utility almost expedition/rescue ops. oriented rig that would mix both form, function, on road drivability and off road capability to the fullest. The rear cargo/3rd seat section of the roof has been removed, rear window placed behind thend row seat and a mini truck be created out of the once 3rd seat area. for a more "civilian" oriented rig you could leave in the 3rd row seat and create a removable rear window/divider for open air driving. For a "utility/rescue" oriented rig remove teh seats to make room for utiliies such as on-board-air tanks, generators, etc..etc... sorry if i rambled, this post just got me excited as building one of these things has always been a dream...

Wow man, thanks for taking the time to share with me! Pics are awesome! I actually had a late meeting with my staff to begin going over ideas for the custom build. Although I am bound by a confidentiality agreement, I can say that some aspects of what you did were actually brought to the table. Really cool stuff. Thanks again~

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Very nice concept and artwork, HSG.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts