Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading all of the posts regarding towing with the commander. I would be really interested in any first-hand knowledge anyone has with towing. I have the 4.7L Limited 4X4 - factory tow package. Published towing capacity is 6500 Lbs with 650 lbs on the hitch. I am looking at an Aruba travel-trailer that is at just under 6000 Lbs dry. Should have about 600 Lbs at the hitch and I have a new sway control, weight distribution hitch and electric brake controller. Should I expect any problems if I stay at that dry weight? I've read a few posts that have gotten me concerned but whats the use of 6500 Lbs of capacity if I can't expect to tow at close to that?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have been shopping for a trailer myself, you want to get something around 5000lbs or less UVW (dry). You must account for adding about 1000lbs worth of water and junk to your trailer. I was also told to keep the length to 30ft overall or less. That is up to you though. It isnt hard to find a really nice trailer under 5500lbs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the electronic brake controller is used to activate the brakes that are built into the trailer. If you don't use a brake controller then the trailer is essentially dead weight. So you will have 600-6500 pounds pushing you when you apply the brakes. Under normal conditions on dry roads thats not such a big deal but on wet or slick roads it is extremely dangerous. The last thing you want is for your trailer to either push you off of the road or for it to come around and jack knife the rear end of you vehicle. In my opinion, you need a brake controller for anything over 1000-1500 pounds.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Get the electric brakes, I imagine any hitch shoppe could install the controller, I'd check with the Jeep dealer first. I had a small 15' trailer in the 70s, my tow vehicle at that time was a 6 cyl Volvo sedan (I still have it), and I had the electric controller. (On an earlier car, I had a hydraulic controller, same trailer.) The point is that even with a small trailer some sort of assist is required.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2000 pound boat without trailer brakes. I had no problem towing it, just take your time and have extra stopping distance. I was only towing 2000 pounds, but you guys who are going to tow over 2500 pounds definately need to get trailer brakes, etc. I would also reccommend a sway bar. With the Commander's short wheelbase the trailer was kicking around alot more in the wind that towing with my Ram. Overall I think the Commander is a safe towing vehicle, and I wouldn't worry about not having enough pulling power.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well its tough for me to compare the 4.7L with my 5.7L but FWIW the 5.7L tows stronger than my new 5.4L Ford truck does. I have a 21ft wakeboard boat the weighs in around 5000 lbs with trailer and while loaded up. The boat trailer has brakes on it..not electric but the "hydraulic compression" type that activates from the trailer tongue compressing when you have to slow down rapdily. They work well.
But as said before, the 5.7L may have a little more power than my truck, but the Commander has got a much shorter wheelbase so its not quite as stable in some situations but nothing dangerous....you may want to look at a stabilizer bar for a travel trailer just to be sure.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am buying my Commander 5.7L hemi (overland model) ESPECIALLY cause I want a TOW VEHICLE for my modified TJ. I live in S. Fla and do most of my offroading in the West (predominately N.M., Utah, and Colorado) and N. C. in the East. My TJ weighs in with all equipment at about 4,500 #'s. Am having a 16' aluminum trailer with electric brakes built etc etc that ought to weigh under 2,000#'s. One of the offroad magazines said they towed their Wrangler all over the west with no problems whatsoever, which is why I went with the Commander. Does anyone here have any experience? john

1 - 8 of 8 Posts