Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to add a Commander to my collection of Jeeps. Commander just offers too much to let pass by. I know I want leather seats, in dash Navigation system and the 4.7 V8. I'm not sure on color yet except I know Black is OUT! 2 black Jeeps is enough.

Can someone outline the pros and cons of the newer 4.7 vs the older 4.7?
I'm just looking for some real world feedback on the 2 versions of this motor.

Also, if there are any options to avoid, please let me know. Sometimes there are some options that seem like a good idea, but end up being a nuisance.

I'm replacing my 1982 Cherokee Laredo 2 door. It's due for a major body rebuild and I'm just not up to that task. I've held off because I'm not sold on giving up the sportiness of the 2 door, but Commander offers other things the Cherokee can never hope to achieve. (like 20MPG)

Thanks for the help.

J67
1960 Willys Utility Wagon
1967 Jeepster
1982 Cherokee Laredo
1982 J-10
1983 CJ8 Scrambler
2008 Patriot FD1 5 speed

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First your not going to get 20MPG with a XK more like 15MPG. The difference between the two engines is about 30HP. I have the old one it's more then enough power then needed.
Actually, I had the opportunity to do a long term test drive of an 06 sport with a 4.7. I get 19 MPG on the highway 14 in town. On a 600 mile trip I got 16 pulling a 5x8 enclosed trailer! Last week I hit 20 MPG while on a 200 mile trek at 70 MPH.

This Commanders EVIC was a little optimistic on the mileage number so I did my own calculations, fuel used vs miles traveled.

I agree that the 4.7 in the 06 seems to be plenty powerful. I'm having a hard time finding the options I want while avoiding the 5.7 engine.

·
1,993 Posts
Well bro I would by that one then because that XK is the exception to the rule for MPG's. I can hit 17MPG on the highway but normally I get get about 15MPG for normal operation. Not sure why your shying away from the 5.7 the MPG's across all three engines is actually minimal and there only separated by a couple of MPG's at best. I think the 3.7 guys would drool over 20MPG :)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find it no surprise the V6 Commander has problems getting good mileage. That V6 has to work mighty hard to motivate a vehicle as large as the Commander.

My dad had 2 Dodge Maxivans. One had a 360 and one with a 318. The 360 always got better mileage than the overworked 318.

With my light foot, I could probably do well with the 5.7 too. So you are probably right, 4.7 and 5.7 will be similar economy for me.

That 5.7 must be a lot of GO! when you punch it.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I find it no surprise the V6 Commander has problems getting good mileage. That V6 has to work mighty hard to motivate a vehicle as large as the Commander.

My dad had 2 Dodge Maxivans. One had a 360 and one with a 318. The 360 always got better mileage than the overworked 318.

With my light foot, I could probably do well with the 5.7 too. So you are probably right, 4.7 and 5.7 will be similar economy for me.

That 5.7 must be a lot of GO! when you punch it.
It definitely is ! I've owned mine for 4 years and still get a thrill out of the acceleration.

·
Registered
301 Posts
First your not going to get 20MPG with a XK more like 15MPG. The difference between the two engines is about 30HP. I have the old one it's more then enough power then needed.

I second that!!. 15MPG average IF i'm lucky!! 600 Mile trip to Atlanta from Northern VA averaged 17.8MPG. Unless you drive ALL highway you're definitely not going to get 20MPG, even if you do drive all highway you're gonna be short of 20MPG...maybe with a strong tailwind. (I'm driving 4.7 Flex Fuel)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the 3.7 and I get about 15 -17 city depending upon my pedal habits. I also drove from Michigan to Maryland a week ago, almost a 600 mile trip, and averaged about 19.5. On cool days with the summer blend of gas with my cruise set at 60-65 I was getting a little over 22. I don't think that's too shabby.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess I must be lucky. I'm still driving my dad's Commander and still getting......
21MPG.jpg

I just put new plugs, oil and air filter before this 800 mile round trip. 21MPG from St.Cloud MN to Madison WI and 20.2 on the way back. Knocking around the hilly countryside of southern WI, I get 17.3.

I hope I can get this kind of mileage performance from whatever one I decide to buy.

The more I drive it the better I like it. I can't understand why this was such a poor seller for Jeep. It is like a 21st century Wagoneer!

·
Registered
661 Posts
i have an 06 4.7 and a 3.7 the 4.7 since new plugs I hit 22 all the time on the highway at 75 and i hit 23 with the v6 on the highway and the 4.7 with the mods ive done is more motor than needed I love the sound of my engine too and the 3.7 isnt to bad either with mods plenty of power, whatever you chose youll be happy.

Im sure :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The navigation is terrible in the 06/07 (non-touchscreen) I'd opt out or get 08+ for the price difference you can have a much better navigation experience with an aftermarket unit.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
:eyemouth:I have 06 5.7, It is sooooo much fun to drive. It screams, which is great for such a heavy car and when passing semi's. The Hemi is one of the best engines that has come out of the U.S. It is super reliable. The 4.7 is a great engine too, but I think your gonna get 1 liter-itis. Hwy I get 14.9 MPG (gotta accept it) which isn't really much less than the 4.7, if it's less at all.

Word of advice, the Mopar Navi isn't anything to plan such a big purchase around. It's really not very good. I would consider aftermarket navi and concentrate on the best deal you can find on your new commander.

Colors. I have the silver. It is very nice but there are a lot of them. The black is an outstanding color for our car. There was a silver blue color in 2006 that is really pretty. I'm an old Willy's fan so Huey pilot's green appeals to me. Red may be a good option for you.

Seats. You have to get leather. No question. Heated seats are an awesome feeling when your wheeling. It's kinda like the best of both worlds! The saddle brown leather is gorgeous. I wish I had that option but I could not find it it my area. Milage is more important than the year my friend. I chose a 06 with 40,000 mi over a 08 with 60,000 mi. and I'm glad I did. On the outside no one knows if it's a 2009 or a 2006, and who really cares!

This is an amazing Jeep and I think the appeal of the Commander is going to last for years to come and be sought after in the future by Jeep lovers, especially nostalgia jeep collectors.

The commander is an amazing vehicle. We here on the forum seem to be all like minded and choose this car for a reason........ It's rough, boxy, moddable, and really F'n cool! Evertime I get in it, I get a happy feeling and am tickled to know I made a great purchase. I have never worked on a car in my life until I joined this forum and now I have over 10 mods! I'm happy for you and good luck!

Huey, cico, sal, a49'er how do you guys feel about my input here?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The difference in weight between the V6 and V8 Commanders is slight, but the smaller motors are lighter then the bigger and it can make up to more than a hunred pound difference.

But regardless of what engine you have, it takes the same amount of work/energy to accellerate and cruise, maybe a slight difference for 2%-3% difference in weight I'm guessing for the different motors.

You need "X" amount of Energy to move your Commander through a trip, regardless of the engine, you have to burn "Y" amount of gas to produce that energy, and any more gas you burn than is requiered is because of the inefficiency of the motor.

The reason the mileage is so close between the motors, IMO is because the motors and transmissions are so more efficient today, they are wasting very little extra gas because of their inefficiency.

Yea, 30 years ago, you'd see a big difference in mileage between the most and least powerful motor options for a vehicle, today I think its NOT that much because all the motors are really efficient, even the bigger V8's.

Also keep in mind, compare the HP & Torque of the 3.7L V6 to the HP & Torque of the 5.2L/318cu.in. V8 of 25 years ago, the 3.7L makes more HP and Torque.

The low mileage is from the Weight/Gearing/Big Wheels and Tires, as well as the Pollution Controls.

IMO, its NOT that the V6 has to work extra hard and that kills it mileage, its a matter of the Big Heavy, Low Geared, Big Tire Commander requires that much fuel to move it around. The V6 (that is pretty powerful gas hungry motor itself) is just marginally more effecient at providing that needed power then the much more powerful V8's.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it is a done deal now. The SJ is gone to a new home. :(

I bought an 06 Red Commander in August. Many many options but also many many miles. Sun roof, heated seats, leather, auto, headlights, auto dimming mirrors, 6 disc radio with XM, controls on the wheel, adjustable pedals, power seats. 4.7. Fun to drive! Nice and comfortable. My kid loves to ride the power seat all different directions. :doh:

It has no chrome trim, which is what I wanted. I did not get the Navigation in the dash. I decided I could buy a good after market if I wanted one.

I can get 23 on the highway, but average 16 in mixed driving. Still, the Commander gets in town 12 what the SJ did on the highway under optimum conditions! It is nice to have the extra heft and power for towing compared to my Patriot. I think I'll keep that Patriot around in case gas goes up to $5 a gallon though.

Very happy with the Commander. The fact these didn't sell like hotcakes just floors me. This is a great car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yea I have the v6 and other than no low gear im happy with it.... When it was running right I got between 20-24 on the highway and 14-17 in the city. Course no with a tranny leak and some reason the plugs keep fouling up I get maybe 19 highway and 11-15 in the city...

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm replacing my 1982 Cherokee Laredo 2 door. It's due for a major body rebuild and I'm just not up to that task. I've held off because I'm not sold on giving up the sportiness of the 2 door, but Commander offers other things the Cherokee can never hope to achieve. (like 20MPG)
Well I imagine you are also a member of IFSJA.org with that many old AMC products. I also have an older 1979 AMC Wagoneer. First off there really is no comparison in comfort between the two. The Commander is so much better at almost all except one feature - off roading. Having had both on the same trails I can say that the SJ literally idle's over most obstacles where the XK needed more pedal and easier lines.

BUT the XK on the road is a much better vehicle. In it's stock configuration with a 4.7 I have frequently achieved 20 MPG on the highway from Ohio to NY or Ohio to NC. As long as it is flat you will get decent mileage. In the hills It drop to 18 but this is to be expected.

As far as comfort the XK is a great cruising vehicle that can accommodate up to 5 adults and 2 kids in the 3rd row. Sound levels are very quiet with the stock Forteras and never becomes fatiguing over the long haul.

Power-wise the XK wins again. Even though the SJ has an AMC 360, in it's stock form with a 2 BBL it really was never a runner (smog equip limited and factory detuned). The 4.7 XK has great acceleration in it's stock condition! If you increase the size of the XK tires you will run into issues with gearing and power loss so be careful. But overall even towing my 4000 pound Coleman pop up (fully loaded) I have never had any issues with acceleration on and off the highway.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[email protected] all good points. As much as I feel like a traitor to the old AMC but I really agree, there can't be enough good things said about the Commander's comfort, features and ability.

I know a lot of people are using the Commander as an off road vehicle with good results. (more power to them) My Commander is basically my station wagon. I haul lots of big crap around and I do it in the winter. This makes the Commander the perfect vehicle for me. I am going to go with the Mopar lowering kit to level it out rather then raising the front. I don't need the clearance for what I do and I prefer a look where the tires fill the wheel wells equally all the way around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts