Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, and thank you ahead of time for any imput. I am new here in terms of posting but have checked out this forum many times before. I have a 2007 Jeep Commander with the 4.7l V8 and only 48,800 miles on it. I work for the local Ambulance service and was driving past my station last night when i saw my headlights were on. I had the Local Officers swing in to check it out for me and they said the vehicle was secured and the headlights were going on and off. After i got back to the station i witnessed the headlights going on and off but the light switch was off. I do not have auto lights. After i checked this out i decided to start the vehicle to make sure the battery wasn't dead. I let it run for a little while and tried to shut it off. I took the key all the way out and my electroncis shut down but the engine continued to run :(. The engine ran for about 20 mins and shut off. This happened about 2 more times and then it started to shut down when the key was taken out. I took it back to where i bought it and they said it was spitting out a bunch of communication codes but could not diagnose it. I have to set up an appointment with the local Jeep Dealer to have it re-diagnosed.

I'm sorry for the long story, but has anyone had any simmilar problems or have any idea what the problem could be. I appreciate ALL input that can give me a better idea of the problem.

Thanks Again

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I had my keys in my back pocket one day at work, so everytime I stood up or sat down, I was locking/unlocking the doors whick caused the headlights to go on and off. The people in the front office with a view of the parking lot witnessed this for a while, and finally sent someone back to let me know what was going on. As soon as I removed the keys from my back pocket, problem solved! Where was your key when the lights were going on/off? Your story leads me to believe it is the antitheft or the ignition switch. Good luck! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my keys in my back pocket one day at work, so everytime I stood up or sat down, I was locking/unlocking the doors whick caused the headlights to go on and off. The people in the front office with a view of the parking lot witnessed this for a while, and finally sent someone back to let me know what was going on. As soon as I removed the keys from my back pocket, problem solved! Where was your key when the lights were going on/off? Your story leads me to believe it is the antitheft or the ignition switch. Good luck! :eek:rangehat:

HAHA nice, actually my keys were laying in the bunk room and i was in The ambulance. Trust me thats what i thought it was so i checked every pocket. Anti-Theft or ignition? Thats one step farther than I was Thanks for the input :)!

·
Registered
104 Posts
any chance your buddies are messin' with ya? ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
any chance your buddies are messin' with ya? ;)
I confess -- I've been doing it with my remote from here in South Carolina.:devil:

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I confess -- I've been doing it with my remote from here in South Carolina.
He would too!!

Did you buy your Commander new or used? Liked Sal asked, do you have a
remote starter?

Did anything else happen when you started blinking? Alarms, radios, any other
signals?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys for the late reply, I bought it used without the remote star installed, Considered getting the Mopar Remote Start system, but after i figure out the deal here. Also if you can hit my Jeep from way out there, thats crazy impressive :) lol, Also funny thing, my jeep all of the sudden started functioning appropriately as of two days ago, In Fact the check engine light has disapeared and it Shuts Off at the right time now, So if anyone has any ideas. None of this makes any sense to me and I thank Yous again for the responses!!

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Sorry guys for the late reply, I bought it used without the remote star installed, Considered getting the Mopar Remote Start system, but after i figure out the deal here. Also if you can hit my Jeep from way out there, thats crazy impressive :) lol, Also funny thing, my jeep all of the sudden started functioning appropriately as of two days ago, In Fact the check engine light has disapeared and it Shuts Off at the right time now, So if anyone has any ideas. None of this makes any sense to me and I thank Yous again for the responses!!
My remote broke so I guess you are safe for now.:jester:

·
Registered
451 Posts
So last night in trying to figure out my stereo issues, I was going through the fuses in both things under the hood and under the dash. As I pulled out some of the fuses the head lights came on, with others the wipers started running constantly and very unlikely thing were happening as I pulled them. So if it happens again I would look at the fuse boxes for a poor connection either at the fuse or the wiring to & from. Hopefully it is something easy, or better yet it fixed itself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts