Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here was my first jeep:

1976 CJ-7 with Quadratrac, AMC 401, fiberglass body, 33x12.5x15 BFG All Terrains.

Rolled it on the expressway. May it Rest In Peace...or pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
First Mod!

Here's the front tow hook I installed. It came off of the 2004 TJ we used to own. I found it in the basement and the holes lined up. I just had to cut the front fascia a little bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Excellent. What happened to putting the lift on this past weekend or are you waiting for tires and wheels also?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
With some skill and the right tools 3-4 hours for your first one. The they get easier after that. Be sure to clean the powder coating off of the threads!! It'll make life easier. Good Luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Odd Couple

Here is my commander next to the guy's car who lives in the apartment across the hall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey man whats up hey if your going for the more rugged look i got the black handles on my jeep and im lookin for more of the sleek look with wheels if you wanna possibly swap handles

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Overboard Onboard Air

Well I got tired of looking for a gas station with a "real" compressor after a day of wheelin' and I hate the puny 12VDC compressors out there so I found my own path.

I took a Porter Cable Air Compressor with 6 gallon tank and separated its component parts so it was a little more compact. I also built the enclosure (Not my best work, but it's difficult doing this sort of stuff in an apartment buildings' parking lot. Always worrying that someone will come out and yell at you for using power tools. But I digress)

I plan to finish the enclosure so the compressor and tank are not visible and to coat the entire enclosure in truck bedliner.

So now I needed power.

So I bought a 5,000 Watt Sunforce power inverter. I discovered that I would need huge cables to power it from the main battery so I cheated by installing an Optima Yellow Top battery in the back. It's currently hidden in this picture. I ran 2 guage cable up to the alternator for keeping the Optima charged.

But I figured what's the point of having so much power and just run the compressor off of it, so....

I should be able to run some small air tools off of the compressor and tank. There is a "Power-On" indicator light for the AC power so I can tell if everything is working. Originally I was going put a larger tank in the location where the spare tire is but I never got to that. I would then have to build a skid plate to protect the tank, etc. Perhaps for a later incarnation of this project.

As I have now re-arranged all of the compressors components and hidden the on switch and likewise with the power inverter I needed to work on controls. I ran wiring up to the dash and installed some switches.

The switch for the power inverter actually uses a small reed relay to turn on the inverter. I did this to limit the inverter only on when the cars accessories are powered. To do that I tapped the power line going into the 12 V accessory outlet that is only active when the car is on.

I couldn't resist putting another 115V AC outlet up front for convenience sake.

Up Next: Rock Crusher Differential Cover. Hopefully it fits!

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Looking good Gabe. We'll have to go try that mudhole at The Mounds again. GP wants to go in October.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No drain hole on the differential cover?

Also is it me or is that fill hole a little high? Make sure you dont put to much fluid in there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We'll have to go try that mudhole at The Mounds again. GP wants to go in October.
Sounds good to me!

No drain hole on the differential cover?
Should there be?

Also is it me or is that fill hole a little high? Make sure you dont put to much fluid in there.
I thought it was a little high too. I'll have to measure the height from a bottom bolt hole to the fill hole on the stock and make sure it's at the same height. I can't rely on stock volume as I'm not certain that the curvature of the rockcrusher diff cover is the same as the stock. This difference in curvature would result in a difference in volume in the diff case.

At least I won't be as worried about those pesky rocks at Rausch Creek!

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I was gonna ask. How was Rocks and Valleys? I have friends near there and I was wondering how stock friendly it was. Their website really only shows the rockcrawling or extreme wheeling they have.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rocks and Valleys has a pretty good mixture of things. There are some good areas for stock. There's a main trail that goes around the property that's all green. There are 3 or 4 open 'play' areas that are pretty tame if you want them to be. Most of the smaller trails that actually go through forest are a bit tougher. A guy in a slightly modified WJ told me I was nuts for taking a brand new Commander there. Of course, that forced me to follow him wherever he went. Do you think I have an overly developed competitive spirit?
[email protected], what do you think?

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I had some guy and his son think I was crazy for taking mine out at The Mounds. They were unloading their ATVs off the trailer attached to a Grand Cherokee Limited. Heck I went someplace to shop for tires and the guy didn't believe that I took mine off-road. He and his wife just turned in their XK at the end of the lease. I told him to check out this site for pics of people off-roading in their XKs. I don't think you are overly competitive. We gotta show others that our vehicles are just as able to go off-roading as they are.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yah, you ARE competitive, but I LIKE it. I'm impressed with all your mods and off-roading activity.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts