Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17' "chrome" wheels, no lift (no plans to, either), no spacers, etc. etc.

Has anybody successfully run 255/65-17 tires? I don't even want "a little rubbing now and then." On-road almost exclusively aside from the occasional dirt road. By my calculations, this size will only be approximately 1 cm wider and 1 cm taller than the OEM size, so I would think it'll be OK. But I've been wrong before... Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw that after A LOT of searching....I even read that page a couple of times but I guess I didn't notice the stock setup listed. My bad. However, I would like some "real world" feedback and ideally some pictures if someone has these tires on a stock set-up. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
17' "chrome" wheels, no lift (no plans to, either), no spacers, etc. etc.

Has anybody successfully run 255/65-17 tires? I don't even want "a little rubbing now and then." On-road almost exclusively aside from the occasional dirt road. By my calculations, this size will only be approximately 1 cm wider and 1 cm taller than the OEM size, so I would think it'll be OK. But I've been wrong before... Thanks in advance.
My short answer is they will fit.

Here's my long answer:

I haven't heard of anyone on the forum running those, but who knows.

I can't image them rubbing. They will be 1 cm wider but 1/2 inch taller which is I guess close to a cm but more like a cm and a quarter, but who's counting right?

I say turn your current tires full right and run your hand around and then turn them full left and do it again. If your hand doesn't hit anything you should have room.

Oh, and measure your hand too. Then you'll know how much taller your can go.;)

But if your hand rubs, then find something about a cm wide and do it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't see them being a problem either. Only 1/5" taller so that shouldn't be a problem. I doubt Jeep would make the stock setup that close to the fenderwells.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Actually their 1/2 inch taller tire, not 1/5" taller but they are 1/4" longer radius, which will make the jeep a 1/4" taller. No big deal on this size but as you go bigger, it is important to differentiate between radius and diameter when figuring tire clearances and road clearances.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Actually their 1/2 inch taller tire, not 1/5" taller but they are 1/4" longer radius, which will make the jeep a 1/4" taller. No big deal on this size but as you go bigger, it is important to differentiate between radius and diameter when figuring tire clearances and road clearances.
Yeah, overall height 1/2 taller but you would only need to be worried about the radius which is 1/4" like you said. The Jeep will stand 1/4" taller off the ground so you don't need to worry about half of the radius ect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts