Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the instructions for the computer reset on here. But my question about it is do I turn on the key then disconnect the negative or disconnect the negative then turn the key to on?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for 30 minutes or more. Perhaps turning the key to on, after disconnecting the negative battery cable, would drain the capacitors faster, I really don't know.

But if you reconnect the battery cable to soon, the capacitor won't drain and the PCM won't reset.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Disconnect, then while it's disconnected try to start the Jeep two or three times while also pushing the brake pedal. So try to start it while pushing the brake pedal at the same time, let off the break, turn the key back to off, then do it again. At least twice, three times to be sure.

Connect it right back up and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So I take it you've found that doing this, drains any stored energy in the PCM that would hold the volatile memory? It makes sense, just want to confirm.

I haven't tried starting and standing on the brake pedal with the battery disconnected, and I've found if you don't wait at least 30 minutes, the volatile memory might NOT dump and thus the PCM won't reset.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
So I take it you've found that doing this, drains any stored energy in the PCM that would hold the volatile memory? It makes sense, just want to confirm.

I haven't tried starting and standing on the brake pedal with the battery disconnected, and I've found if you don't wait at least 30 minutes, the volatile memory might NOT dump and thus the PCM won't reset.
Is anything helped by reseting the computer? What would this procedure be recommended for? Thanks. Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is anything helped by reseting the computer? What would this procedure be recommended for? Thanks. Cheers.

I baught a K&N replacement filter and noticed it was running slightly ruffer. I know that resetting the compluter will help it run better do to the amount of more air entering the intake. So thats why I asked.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes. I haven't broken it down to figure out which particular action does the trick, or if it has to be done more than once, but the whole procedure literally takes less than ten seconds so there's really no reason to make it any shorter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts