Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up first Jeep on Friday! I'd like to add the uconnect to it. It does not have the uconnect mirror and is equipped with the "REC" head unit, I believe (NAV/SAT/6 disc, and rear VES). I've read through some of the posts and am still at a bit of a loss as to what kit is the right one for mine. It's an 07 Hemi Limited. I thank you in advance for your patience ! ;)

J

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The only kit that would work for your system would be the OEM one offered by Mopar Supercenter (moparsupercenter.com). I have it in my truck and it works fine, but its pricey ($600-ish) and includes running wires and replacing the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok...that's not a good thing..LOL.. I was hoping one of those kits with the small pad that goes on the dash would work. Not interested in going with all new mirror and everything, but thanks for the info !

edit: Here's the link to what I thought was available as an add on(one of these two, depending on what web page you read)

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/commander/uconnect.htm

J

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It looks like the $428 version is for the Commander. And it looks like you don't have to replace the rear view mirror. If you do it, let us know how it works for you.

I use uconnect on my Commander rarely. Probably should use it more. The integration with the stereo system is useful, muting the radio and using the car speakers. But as you know there are cheaper Blue tooth hands free options.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda what I gathered too.. Was hoping to have it integrated, but damned sure am not going to spend that kind of money for it... :)

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I am really surprised that you have an '07 HEMI Limited that has the REC NAV but does not have the u-Connect mirror. Do you have the auto-dimming head lights and rain-sensing wipers ?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Go to justforjeeps.com. They offer a Mopar kit for u-connect for about $230. I have u-connect factory installed with the mirror. The mirror has the on/off button and the microphone. This unit doesn't use the mirror, but has a stand alone small pad that controls it and incorporates the microphone. It wires into the radio, so it works just like the factory issue one. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am really surprised that you have an '07 HEMI Limited that has the REC NAV but does not have the u-Connect mirror. Do you have the auto-dimming head lights and rain-sensing wipers ?
Yes, I do..It is odd, from what I've been reading ! I've attached photo's of the head unit and the mirror, to make sure I've been posting the right thing

@dhh3: That's the one I thought I could get.. Thanks ! Just came back from a run on what's left of our north end beach.. Didnt even spill my coffee.. This truck is kick ass!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
ok...that's not a good thing..LOL.. I was hoping one of those kits with the small pad that goes on the dash would work. Not interested in going with all new mirror and everything, but thanks for the info !

edit: Here's the link to what I thought was available as an add on(one of these two, depending on what web page you read)

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/commander/uconnect.htm

J
I forgot about the "add on" kit. I tried it, wasn't satisfied with the results. Plus it kind of stands out since its supposed to be attached to the dash next to the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's kinda my issue, is the mounting of the control unit..The ones from Parrot and others seem to be HUGE, and unlike my SS, not a whole of space to hide it...

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The installation guide shows the microphone mounts by the mirror, and the control unit mounts by the heater controls, but you could probably place it some where else. Maybe it would be possible to get this unit for the wire harness and get a mirror from a salvage yard, and hook the two together. Everything today is so complicated! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything today is so complicated! :eek:rangehat:
Agreed ! Going to stop and see an old friend at local Chrysler/Jeep dealer and see what he thinks it'll cost to install the "factory" add on unit....Thank you all for your replies thus far ! Big learning curve with this Jeep, but a ton of fun!
:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok...after calling a couple dealers and showing one my truck, I've ordered up a uconnect (add on) kit..It's part number 82211879..Local service guy will take it back if it's the wrong one, but they're sure it's right..damned 07 with REC and no mirror !!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welp, it went off without a hitch.. Got the 82211879 kit...Took a buddy about 20 minutes to install it.. Mounted the mic on the a pillar and control pad right where they recommended it to go, next to HVAC controls. Didn't have to go to dealer to have it "turned on" either.. Worked right out of the box!!! Anyone in doubt, if you have the REC radio and no uconnect mirror, this is the kit to buy..

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Welp, it went off without a hitch.. Got the 82211879 kit...Took a buddy about 20 minutes to install it.. Mounted the mic on the a pillar and control pad right where they recommended it to go, next to HVAC controls. Didn't have to go to dealer to have it "turned on" either.. Worked right out of the box!!! Anyone in doubt, if you have the REC radio and no uconnect mirror, this is the kit to buy..
I'm glad that it worked out for you. Pictures, please. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do, stopping back at his shop in a little bit to move the microphone.. with the odd shape of the a pillar and grab handle, it gives a weird/muffled sound to your voice. He's going to move it to the overhead console thing by the mirror for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the crappy pic..cant find the camera..these are from crackberry last night..I'll try later for better ones...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts