Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, does backspacing bring the whell & tire in, or move it out??? And with that, if you went with a 1/2" wider wheel, would you want more or less backspacing to make up the difference??? All things equal that is.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Smaller backspacing moves the tire out from the rotor/drum. To answer your other question if you went with a 1/2" wider wheel you would want less backspacing.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
What you will want in the way of backspacing will depend on what tire you put on. Several of us have taller tires and needed to move the wheel /tire outboard to have clearance for the ball joint bolt. If you are staying stock tire height, then go by what Chaos said.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't ever change your email address. It's been two weeks since I changed my address and I still can't post. I had to sign up under a different name just so I could start replying to the threads I started. Ok, I'm going with a 18x9" wheel and 325-60R-18 tires. The wheel comes in a 4.53 or 5.71 backspacing, which do I need or which will fit????? Thanks for the help, sorry for the sloooooooooow reply on my part.

·
Registered
480 Posts
4.53 with a 2" lift and 5.71 without. The stock b.s. is 6", if you have a lift then you probably have spacers, either 1.25" or 1.5". So a lift w a 1.25 spacer = 6"-1.25"=4.75", 1.5" spacer = 6"-1.5"= 4.5". So I would say 5.71 stock and 4.53 with the lift.

This is just an estimate, actual fitment will vary.

As always test fit the new setup, any competent shop should do this.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you ever get the PM i sent you? I gave you all the information that you would need for those wheels to include how far they would stick out on your commander and what the actual offset of each wheel was. I sent it to you old SN.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes I did get and I appreciate it. I just felt like I left this thread hanging. So you're saying I should use the 4.53 backspacing with the 4" Superlift, correct? They'll stick out more, but definitely clear the knuckle, right?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yes I did get and I appreciate it. I just felt like I left this thread hanging. So you're saying I should use the 4.53 backspacing with the 4" Superlift, correct? They'll stick out more, but definitely clear the knuckle, right?
Yeah the 4.53 will definately clear the knuckle but they will stick out quite far due to the width of the wheel you want to run and the width of the tire. The only problem with this is you might have a lot of rubbing issues due to it being out so far. As for the other back spacing you mentioned youd have to contact AEV or superlift and see if it would clear the knuckle because again due to the wheel width and tire width I think it would be rather close.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IowaCommander is running 325/60/18's, but his wheel is an 8.5 width. The wheels I'm looking at just don't come in that width, only 9". He said he has no rubbing issues at all, but can't remember what his backspacing is and I can't find any info on his wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
IowaCommander is running 325/60/18's, but his wheel is an 8.5 width. The wheels I'm looking at just don't come in that width, only 9". He said he has no rubbing issues at all, but can't remember what his backspacing is and I can't find any info on his wheels.
Hmmm thats weird. I wonder if its because he has the extra lift spacers. Normally guys with the 285/70R17's have to trim just to get them to fit and thats a smaller size tire then what you plan on running. Either that or he did all the trimming he needed to get them to fit properly and that why he has no rubbing now. Im sure he will chime in sometime. Or is he still oversea's?

·
Registered
18 Posts
He claims he was fine before he added the spacers to the front, and that he only did that for the extra weight of the bumper. He never mentioned having to trim or beat anything when I asked if he rubbed.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
He claims he was fine before he added the spacers to the front, and that he only did that for the extra weight of the bumper. He never mentioned having to trim or beat anything when I asked if he rubbed.

That makes me wonder what back spacing his wheels are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IowaC said he wanted to mimick the set up on the Superlift Commander and did just that, other than going with 18" wheels, as opposed to 20"ers that Superlift used. He felt if they didn't have issues, neither should he, and apparently he doesn't. The only thing I'm doing different is the 1/2" wider wheel, which I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to find new wheels.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am sure that many here are running 9" wide wheels, I am buying a set of 17x9 with 4.5 B.S. and do not anticipate any problems other than minor rubbing at the pinch weld in front. If your setup does not work than return it or resell it, you won't know until you try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:ugh2: All right , just got confirmation from Superlift that the 9" wide wheels will work, as long as I keep the backspacing to under 5.00. The wheels I'm looking at come in 4.53, so it looks like I'm set. Sweet. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am sure that many here are running 9" wide wheels, I am buying a set of 17x9 with 4.5 B.S. and do not anticipate any problems other than minor rubbing at the pinch weld in front. If your setup does not work than return it or resell it, you won't know until you try.
There are a few members here running 9 inch wide wheels. You just ahve to make sure to get the proper back spacing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts