Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, before I get started here I would like to let you know that I have lots of questions and concerns about buying a "Chrysler" or "Jeep" branded product. I don't mean to upset anyone here in this forum at all period but I must say whether most are in denial for their love of their Jeep or Chrysler product we all know how the majority of the time Chrysler and Jeep in itself is junk. Again I don't mean to get anyone upset at all and I don't want anyone thinking I am shooting their brand or vehicle down but it's true. The new Grand Cherokee and Cherokee alone are getting lots of horrible reviews from owners and numerous customers coming in with tranny issues and other issues left and right. I know some people here may say that you only see people write reviews or give opinions when things have gone wrong but it's not always the case. Honestly it sounds like the same old Chrysler and Jeep when you really start to look at things.

For example my friend owns a new Cherokee and has already had it in the shop 4 times for numerous tranny issues - grinding and what not. Along with a couple more electrical problems. Of course he gets the same reaction most of the time like good old Chrysler and Jeep saying nothing is wrong or they can't find nothing wrong when apparently there is issues you can't deny. He owns currently the Trailhawk edition of the Cherokee. This was his first "newer" Jeep since the mid 90's and he is already regretting his purchase already. My friend is a Jeep fan but is currently in courts pushing through for a lemon law case on his new Cherokee and apparently the lawyer stated "Jeeps" and "Chryslers" were the most seen cases for lemon laws. My friend plans to buy something else and more than likely something domestic because he likes to stimulate the economy and support American business. Although he will be the first to tell you Toyota and others are far superior in design, reliability, comfort and real off road - not talking about rock crawling with a Wrangler here. It's truth as Jeep and Chrysler have the cheapest interiors and hideous exterior's besides the Commander in my opinion.

It's not hard to realize that the new Cherokee and Grand Cherokee in no way are what they once use to be and they are not longer suitable for real off road - it's sad. Some may disagree here but honestly its what it is. Manufactures are now building toward the general public who want creature comfort and would sacrifice true off road ability for it. Another reason the Commander would be better as it's got a few off road abilities better. I know some may say watch this video or read this about the new Cherokee or Grand Cherokee but I'm sorry it's nothing awesome or great.

I like the Commander and have been considering one off and on for some time now. I have test drove a couple and liked what I seen and felt. Of course the interior could have used a little better interior plastics and leather but it is what it is. I enjoyed the dash layout and it felt true outdoors ready for some nice expeditions - sounds amazing. The third row is basically useless in the Commander and would have liked to have seen a 3rd row similar to the Land Cruiser offers. If I decided to buy I would have to remove the 3rd row and build storage or leave it open. I disliked the V6 as in no way should it have been an option for the Commander. I feel the 4.7 V8 works nicely with the Commander - they compliment each other very well. The 5.7 HEMI is a really nice sounding and felt behind the wheel engine - the only thing I dislike is I feel a HEMI should be used is muscle cars and not suv's and truck's, lol. Then again it's just I associate a HEMI with a car. Just like the SRT8 Jeeps - this is a joke. In no way do I feel an SUV should be built for speed or anything of that nature. This is just plain stupid and in my opinion Jeep and Chrysler's way of getting sales. Again do not hate on me for some of this, it's all my opinion alone and I'm not meaning to upset anyone in any way whatsoever. I also enjoyed the rear sky lights in the Commander but would have liked to have seen actually real big sky lights like on the Land Rover LR3. Honestly there is no denying that this is what Jeep and Chrysler were after when building the Commander - they tried to pull off a LR3 and honestly failed in a lot of ways. I like the LR3 and even as unreliable as the Land Rover brand is it is very apparent that by talking to owners of both vehicles and looking at the owner/consumer reviews that the LR3 is far more reliable than the Commander. It's just a matter of up keep but if you are handy with a wrench and have tools than most of the time you will be ok.

So anyways I am very worried about taking the plunge and buying a Commander. It is a Jeep and Chrysler product which I dispise both because of their reliability and how they treat their customers but I have thought many of times about giving the Commander a chance. It's just how notorious Jeep and Chrysler are for breaking down and having issues. I could buy an LR3 which would out wheel the Commander in almost everyway off road - admit it or not. The prices for the LR3 are super low now and honestly they are probably one of the most reliable built Land Rovers to date. Jeep has copied styling from the LR3 for the Commander and they even copied styling from the Range Rover for the Grand Cherokee - deny this or not it's true. Not much originality here at all except if you count that 7 slot grill in the front, lol.

I currently own a 1995 Land Cruiser (which is my true work horse that I will never sale), 2008 Subaru Forester (which I will not sale and very dependable) Honestly it will go almost all areas the Commander can go and I know it many ways it will outwheel those new Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's.

Does anyone have any helpful tips? Advice? Warnings? Do you live in denial like a lot of Chrysler owners or Jeep owners about your reliability? If I did buy I would totally remove anything Jeep on the vehicle. I'm proud to be an American but not proud of this American brand. I love the styling look of the Commander but that's about it. Like I said the interior is cheap but has a nice design and I like the exterior a lot itself. The last "real" Jeeps period were built in the mid 90's and ever since then has gone downward. I believe the Commander had some things going for it but was one of the only ones. I don't understand vehicles like the Compass, Patriot and Liberty those are horrible and Jeep outta be ashamed to have those released with Jeep on the hood. I'm sorry but it's true. Help here. Put aside your true love for just it being a Jeep and it being American branded and be honest here. If you want to send me a PM to tell me how you really feel without anyone knowing than please do so. I just need some truth, frustration and more. Besides what I own now in the past I have owned Land Rover's, other Toyota models, Honda's, Nissan's, Infiniti's and Ford's. Honestly Ford with it's trucks is about the last real good built American branded vehicle anymore.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That's very long winded.

If you like the Commander, buy one.

If not then don't.

There are areas that can be addressed where reliability is concerned.

Many people remove the third row seats and install additional storage. I sat in mine yesterday to compare to the inlaws 2014 Honda Pilot. Head room is better in the Commander, and I hit my knees on the seats in the Pilot. The Pilot obviously has 3 seats in that row, but there is no way your putting 3 adult males back there. (I am 5'10 200LBs) Obviously the floor is very high in the commander third row, so your sitting cross legged or your knees are @ chest level. My kids LOVE the third row in my Commander. Third row seating is always an issue IMHO in all midsize SUV's.

The HEMI is the way to go in these vehicles. My v6 isn't terrible with a Hypertech Tune however. A proper gear ratio would help significantly, and its in my future.

Issues that I am aware of:

The Sunroof drain has a tendency to leak in these vehicles

N23 update causes 4Low to not work.

There is a yellow wire running to the starter that can corrode @ the connection and cause starting issues. Easy fix.

Oil Catch can is a common mod for the v8s

My darn keyless entry is acting up.

Maybe this helps you?

Commanders with QD2 and decent tires are very capable. More so with a lift.

Tons of aftermarket support for JEEPS and the Commander share a lot of parts with the Grand Cherokees (WK's)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's very long winded.

If you like the Commander, buy one.

If not then don't.

There are areas that can be addressed where reliability is concerned.

Many people remove the third row seats and install additional storage. I sat in mine yesterday to compare to the inlaws 2014 Honda Pilot. Head room is better in the Commander, and I hit my knees on the seats in the Pilot. The Pilot obviously has 3 seats in that row, but there is no way your putting 3 adult males back there. (I am 5'10 200LBs) Obviously the floor is very high in the commander third row, so your sitting cross legged or your knees are @ chest level. My kids LOVE the third row in my Commander.

The HEMI is the way to go in these vehicles. My v6 isn't terrible with a Hypertech Tune however. A proper gear ratio would help significantly, and its in my future.

Issues that I am aware of:

The Sunroof drain has a tendency to leak in these vehicles

N23 update causes 4Low to not work.

There is a yellow wire running to the starter that can corrode @ the connection and cause starting issues. Easy fix.

Oil Catch can is a common mod for the v8s

My darn keyless entry is acting up.

Maybe this helps you?
Thank you for the information you provided

I guess what I worry about is long term reliability. For example my Land Cruiser has 283,000 miles on it and still going strong - no issues and this thing is rock solid built - bulletproof you could say. With that Jeep is not known for long term dependability. Yes, of course you have some of your early 90's Jeeps that you hear people say they have 175,000 or 220,000 miles and still running BUT this is few and far in-between. Honestly from what I have gathered it has taken a lot of money to keep these Jeeps running this whether or not they would admit this. With my Toyota it's been the typical oil, filter, coolant flush, spark plugs, transmission fluid changed and what not. I did replace my radiator once, my water pump once, valve cover gaskets once but these were just preventative maintenance. I never once had some of the most ridiculous issues like Jeeps and Chryslers have. My Subaru has been amazing as well with no issues but again this is not something you see with Jeeps and Chryslers. Were talking about good people who take care of their Jeeps and even do preventive maintenance and still you see loads of issues left and right. I don't want that.

Do you kind of get where I'm going with that?

I want people to see the Commander I would buy and after I beefed it up they would say man that's amazing looking expedition off road rig you have, love it. Because honestly I'm embarrassed to be seen in a Jeep, I really am seriously embarrassed too. Jeep is not what it once was and the Wrangler is barely at all hanging on by it's gears from becoming nothing. The Wrangler is iconic and I don't want this because now that the Commander is gone I'm dead with Jeep and they have nothing I would want now. All they have is a bunch of flashy Chrysler/Fiat looking plastic pimp wanna be rides. I want true true true outdoor rigs from Jeep, I don't want whatever sales.

Can this Commander be trustworthy and have really good longevity like my Land Cruiser has been? I'm keeping my Land Cruiser and Subaru both because I can't go without but want something on the side that's price has hit low that wont cost me a lot but something good for the job. Can I look at the Commander down the road like I have with my Land Cruiser? I'm not saying every Land Cruiser has been trouble free on the road but I can say it's not something your known to worry about because they are known to have more reliable Land Cruiser's on the road than not so reliable Land Cruisers. See with Jeep or any model by Jeep it's the other way around. You have more unreliable Jeeps on the road vs. reliable Jeeps on the road or should I say almost Jeeps entire line of fleet is unreliable.

Help

·
Registered
405 Posts
KK1 the commander I believe is dependable as long as you keep up with maitnance, there is a thread here about how many miles people have in there commander, you should check it out there are alot of members that have way over the 100k on them. I only have 80k on mine but have been pretty much trouble free. knock on wood...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That first Commander does not look healthy, lol. It looks very wrong and like as if though Jeep and Chrysler didn't think of how it would look if ever lifted over 3 inches. lol. Fridge on wheels, it looks really stupid honestly. Some vehicles are meant to be lifted while others are not.

The second Commander looks pretty good, although I would have liked to have seen the grab handles on the back end but it looks good overall.

The Grand Cherokee well I like the setup but don't care for them at all.

Thanks for the pics :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KK1 the commander I believe is dependable as long as you keep up with maitnance, there is a thread here about how many miles people have in there commander, you should check it out there are alot of members that have way over the 100k on them. I only have 80k on mine but have been pretty much trouble free. knock on wood...
I'll have to check this out and see.

Has anyone removed the Jeep logos and badges from their Jeeps or known anyone too? I'd like to know if your left with holes or are they glue or taped on. I don't want Jeep/Chrysler on my Commander if I buy one, no way. I would do so many mods it would be questioned what it is and not that it's any Jeep/Chrysler in any way. Maybe put Commander across the hood like Land Rover Range Rover does and also on the backend. :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'll have to check this out and see.

Has anyone removed the Jeep logos and badges from their Jeeps or known anyone too? I'd like to know if your left with holes or are they glue or taped on. I don't want Jeep/Chrysler on my Commander if I buy one, no way. I would do so many mods it would be questioned what it is and not that it's any Jeep/Chrysler in any way. Maybe put Commander across the hood like Land Rover Range Rover does and also on the backend. :)
I took mine off the hood the day I brought it home. No holes.

Checked the forums real quick regarding debadging

There are no holes but on the rear liftgate above license plate there is something when you remove "JEEP" that looks like the end of two screws or bolts threaded in from opposite side. They are flush and symetrical so nobody notices.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So did you feel the same as I do? Or did you just like the clean look without the badges?
It was more for the clean look. I like jeeps, although I'm not a fan of the newer Wk2's. What drew me to the commander was the more classic styling.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dont buy a Commander, you'll be sorry you did. They require a good amount of upkeep. Considering you already hate Jeep/Chrysler, taking the badges off isn't going to make the issues go away.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Dont buy a Commander, you'll be sorry you did. They require a good amount of upkeep. Considering you already hate Jeep/Chrysler, taking the badges off isn't going to make the issues go away.

Good Answer....Hopefully a book will not be written in response...

·
Super Moderator
14,966 Posts
KK1, you should probably stick with a Land Cruiser or Suburu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And you think a vehicle requiring a good amount of upkeep is good or normal? I guess if all you bought is Chrysler made crap this might be true. GM/Chevy and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep is about the two worse auto manufactures in the world - they are both known all around the world to be junk. Ford is pretty much the very last decent American made auto manufacturer left.

Again when it comes to upkeep I except reliability. Preventative maintenance is something I do to keep my vehicles running smooth and forever. Some people may say don't fix it if it's not broken but sometimes it's best too. Unlike all these Chrysler/Jeep vehicles that leave you in the shop with issues ranging from fault codes, overheating, transmission grinding, motor knocking, stalling, losing power while driving and more - c'mon now this is pathetic and very common. Look around the board and open your eyes.

Upkeep is one thing but fixing a lemon or POS Chrysler product is another.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Answer....Hopefully a book will not be written in response...
Well I'll write a book if I need to to get my point across to those like you you imbecile.

Otherwise your one of those ignorant fools who set back asking for more information and asking question after question. I give you everything you need to know but you b**** anyways - I guess your like a Chrysler product your never happy and always keep sputtering s*** out of your mouth when not needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KK1, you should probably stick with a Land Cruiser or Suburu.
I guess maybe I should if I don't want (list please):

•My vehicle sitting in the shop for days or weeks to only be told they can't find an issue and I'm a hit out of luck
●My vehicle to be useless and in a salvage yard before it hits 250,000 miles
●My 2nd home to be the Chrysler & Jeep dealership
●I get more recall notices in n the mail than I do offers to buy/trade in my vehicle
●To go into the dealership for recalls but to only leave with no 4wd Low
●To be owned by Chrysler who's to be owned by Fiat
●The inside of my vehicle to become a swimming hole because Chrysler cannot build a darn sunroof and/or proper draining - design flaw
●The worse quality and amount of used plastics interior and exterior - cheap
●Unreliable transmission
●Overheating issues
●Wasting my time to go to the dealer to only be told my vehicle is running fine
●Fighting with the dealer and Chrysler both to honor warranty and fix issues that they deny are present
●and I could go on and on but you get my point. Never ever have I read, seen, heard and experienced such crap like this.

It's like good man Katt Williams says,

"if god bless you with a Chrysler 300 thank god for it stop walking around saying you got it because it looks like a phantom no Niger it look like a Chrysler 300 what the f*** the f**** up part is that it dose like a phantom until a phantom pull up then you just in that bitch i dont want to be on this street anymore" - Katt Williams

Same goes for Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Commander and others. Honestly Jeep tries being like Land Rover nowadays and it's not hard to see.

I'm not selling my Toyota Land Cruiser and Subaru Forester but wanted a vehicle I could do anything with and not worry about. Hell I might go for an LR3 and they are more reliable then the Commander and that's saying a lot for Land Rover knowing their reputation. I use to own two Land Rovers and enjoyed them dearly but they were a pain at times. Sometimes I wish I never sold them both. My Land Cruiser will always be with me as my true love :) but I'm just as big of a Land Rover lover too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Don't buy it, if your feelings are that strong that you would debadge because you're embarrassed you're never going to be happy with it.
Your probably right here. I know everyone has their opinions and likes/dislikes. For some it's whatever and their fine with that. It's like the replies I just posted was a slap in the face for some but some here got a case of smart*** even though I said clearly this is my opinion but needed help. It's almost like the truth hurt and they went on an attack but nicely/friendly so I fired back.

I would have de badged the Commander because it's not a Jeep and there is no real Jeep on the market anymore, not even the Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited. If Chrysler were to slap the Jeep decal on the hood of anything people would buy just because it says Jeep. I mean the Dodge Nitro is identical to the Jeep Liberty or whatever it is. Look at the new Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee they look very very similar. Jeep no longer has a name for itself.i liked the Commander because it had the classic styling retro look to it and just the right size and build inside. But you see I'm scared of ownership here and I should not be. A Jeep outta be as reliable as any Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru and others but it's not. People know the company is not reliable and they are not a Jeep but buy in denial. Like I said it's the name Jeep that sales it's a patriotic thing of a legendary vehicle that has not been made in years. A real Jeep hasn't been made since the early to mid 90's. Everything after is a Chrysler with a Jeep badge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most, if not all, people here own Commanders. Yes they break. Yes we fix them. Yes we enjoy modding them. Yes we enjoy making them better than they came from the factory. It sounds like you talked yourself out of "JEEP" before even coming here to the forum. Buy what makes you happy. Chrysler itself has gone through identity challenges with their new owners, first Mercedes and now Fiat. It is what it is, they make the calls on what vehicles they are putting out not us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts