Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Commander Limited with a 5.7L Hemi. I have had it for 5 years now. I am getting ready to replace the starter for the 4th time. It begins with just a click, and then turn the key again and it starts. It happens more and more frequently until rocking and banging the starter does not help. Then I replace the starter and its fine for another 15k -20k miles, then the single click again. Is this normal for this vehicle or is there a defect causing the starters to fail?
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
After 5 starter replacements in late 06/ early 07, they replaced the wiring harness to the starter and I have had no problems since.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This is the very common yellow wire problem.

There is tons of documentation on this. It is a very easy and inexpensive fix.

The connector on the starter end of the yellow wire is unprotected and prone to corrosion. It needs to be cut off and replaced with an insulated one. Generous application of dielectric grease applied.

:headbang2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gosh I love this forum. :)

I've been getting more and more frustrated with a non-start situation, that I can't duplicate when it's time to do something about it. I was able to measure negligible voltage drop when the key is turned, despite hearing the "click". So I was not suspecting the starter, bit more a relay problem. So I jumped on here to see what I could learn and almost immediately discovered multiple threads about the "Yellow Wire Fix".

I'm on it! :)

Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Gosh I love this forum. :)

I've been getting more and more frustrated with a non-start situation, that I can't duplicate when it's time to do something about it. I was able to measure negligible voltage drop when the key is turned, despite hearing the "click". So I was not suspecting the starter, bit more a relay problem. So I jumped on here to see what I could learn and almost immediately discovered multiple threads about the "Yellow Wire Fix".

I'm on it! :)

Thanks you guys!
glad you found it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts