Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all. I'm new to Comanders and I have a question about the upper control arms. From what I've read JBA is the way to go but they're a little steep right now. The commander I'll be picking up is an 07 Ltd next week that has 93K on it and I want to do most preventative maintenance as soon as I get it. Is there an alternative to JBA? Would it be wise to just change U&L ball joints with replacements for the time being? If so do you recommend a certain brand or just something from Autozone etc? Thanks gang so much to learn!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good evening all. I'm new to Comanders and I have a question about the upper control arms. From what I've read JBA is the way to go but they're a little steep right now. The commander I'll be picking up is an 07 Ltd next week that has 93K on it and I want to do most preventative maintenance as soon as I get it. Is there an alternative to JBA? Would it be wise to just change U&L ball joints with replacements for the time being? If so do you recommend a certain brand or just something from Autozone etc? Thanks gang so much to learn!
Rocky road makes some UCAs as well.

For the lower control arm, I would get a set of Moog replacement control arms, they are complete with new bushings, ball joints etc.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's worth noting that the stock UCAs are perfectly fine if you don't intend on lifting your XK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the info! I don't intend on doing more then the front end rake elimination. I should change out the ball joints tho? Don't want the tires popping off and creating a bigger bill!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks much for the info! I don't intend on doing more then the front end rake elimination. I should change out the ball joints tho? Don't want the tires popping off and creating a bigger bill!
Check for wear before assuming you need to replace your ball joints. Lift your front end up and try to wiggle your tires up and down; if there's play, the ball joints are worn and should be replaced.

For just a leveling kit, the stock UCAs are perfectly fine. JBA UCAs are designed for 2" or more of lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts