·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I posted too soon... Aerogt01 just order one. I'll wait and follow up with him.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Long story short, it's far from $70-$80 worth of material. More like $20, if that. Trouble is, I can't find these kits any cheaper, when I can find them. Getting everything to fit right took a little bit of patience, and I got everything but the final facade to fit well. (The sides are two separate pieces, the front mount plate is another, then the facade plate) I'm going to end up removing the dash again and epoxying the facade plate onto the dash piece - right now it lifts up in the corners because it doesn't fit well. It also does not fill all the gaps completely around the stereo. But... If you want double-din this seems to be what we've got.

Arapahoe, I have a single disk, thus no factory amp. I was able to order the cheapest integration kit along with my stereo from Crutchfield, and everything works like a charm - even the reverse camera triggering. I also picked up a surface-mount USB port and may or may not have a parking brake tricking device installed as well...

The hardest part for you is going to be the factory amp. Idk if you have steering wheel controls, but the cheapest $20 integration kit from CF did not have the ability to pass those through, and will not retain all function of the factory amp. However, what I have also read is you speaker crossover is integrated into the amp, so any bypass of the amp will need a new crossover network or DSP.

To get around all of this, I would honestly recommend the most expensive integration kit from CF. It seems to retain all of the function but will require some programming of the module.

What stereo are you planning to put in with it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. My kit arrives later this week.

Yeah... I've read quality isn't up to the 70$ (80$ on Amazon), but what are we gonna do??? To be honest, I'm planning to have Best Buy do the installation. I'm not as electronically savvy as I am mechanically, so given they offer free installation if I buy the unit there, why not. All in, stereo unit, harness (I have the amp and wheel controls) and conversion kit, this project will run me about 500$. If I want a backup camera, I'll need to drop another 150$ or so for equipment and installation. Hmmmm... still deciding on that one. I've gone 12+ years without one in this beast and developed an unique awareness skill set (we can call it The Force), so I don't know. LOL

I'm either going with the Sony XAVAX3000, or the Alpine ILX-W650. Leaning toward the Alpine.

I'll post some pictures once this project is complete.

Thanks again for sharing your installation insight with the forum! I plan on sharing it with the installers at BB.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally having the new Kenwood dd installed in two weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... should have done this long ago. Ditched the old oem double knob stereo unit for a DD conversion JVC. Makes driving my 06 now feel like at least a 2010 or 2011. LOL!!!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts