Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Jeep Commander. 3.7L 4x4. Bought used from Carmax. 22,000 miles currently.

OK. I was at a Jiffy Lube and they said my coolant was reading as only about 35% and the PH was high. Whatever that means.

He recommended a change. Of course!!!

Has anyone changed coolant yet? Mine looks clean and happy. Never had a problem overheating, but I've only had this Jeep since July. My first winter (chicago) is now. I always think the JL guys try to upsell and I say no. I only go there for an oil change.

Anyone? Thanks in advance....

AR

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how would I test it? The tech guy at JL used a litmus paper of some kind. Maybe that was the wrong thing to use for a test?? Is the coolant the same as traditional coolant?

Thanks...

AR

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts
Anybody know where to get the OEM coolant (the red stuff) besides the dealer ?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Yes, Prestone makes an orange coolant that meets GM & Chrysler specs, you cna buy it at most parts stores.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The litmus test is the most valid and I,ve used it for years.
However, that ph/35% line was a crock of B/S.
The litmus test is just that, a color change on paper. It is 3 stages, New, PH rising, and PH excessive.
PH rising on a now 3 year old vehicle w/dexcool (red stuff) is normal for the coolants age.
I personally think 5 years is a bit excessive, so I subscribe to a 4 year interval.
As long as your freeze protection is -25, I would leave it be till next summer.
You can get the coolant at any parts store and I,ve begun using the pre-mix. Yeah, I know I,m paying for water, but it is de-ionized. I grew tired of mixing my own so this is quite convienent.

Your question, my opinion,
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts