Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chasing slow lowering of coolant overflow bottle since I purchased vehicle 2 years ago. Found leaking rad cap and replaced previously. Now have leaks on ground coming from water pump area. Not going to mess around. Here is the list of parts I bought am I missing anything???

New Tensioner
Rad Cap (CarQuest one I replaced earlier already looks 20 years old)
T-stat & gasket
Upper & lower hoses
Delco "professional" water pump
G-05 antifreeze

Serpentine belt only has 10K on it. Will measure for hose clamps once I get the hoses in hand. Can't seem to find the diameter anywhere.

FYI 2008 Hemi Limited 106K on the clock

Thx

·
Registered
176 Posts
Replaced mine on my Hemi this summer and my list looked just like yours. Pretty straightforward repair - the hardest part is getting the belt back over, around and under the various pulleys with just one set of hands.

Only suggestion: Long sleeves. There are plastic points on the back of the radiator that dug into my forearms and gave me some pretty bad scratches. I know, I sound like a wimp but when G-05 dribbles down your arm into open scratches it ain't nice...

Bob

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily I 'll have my Son fresh out of the Air Force as a Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic as I am as well, to help. A couple of cold ones should make it go as good as it can.

Thx for the reply.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
After a few weeks chasing a small amount of coolant usage as evidenced by the overflow bottle slowly going down, and after buying all the parts as noted above, the leak finally manifested itself as leaking out of the t-stat flange lower area. We replaced the t-stat and rad cap and utilized some gasket maker as insurance on the t-stat housing and all is good. Never would of guessed this leak would of been this hard to pin down. This is after pressure testing, revving the motor to insure t-stat was wide open, etc. All good now and engine compartment coolant smell free and dry all around.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Update:
After a few weeks chasing a small amount of coolant usage as evidenced by the overflow bottle slowly going down, and after buying all the parts as noted above, the leak finally manifested itself as leaking out of the t-stat flange lower area. We replaced the t-stat and rad cap and utilized some gasket maker as insurance on the t-stat housing and all is good. Never would of guessed this leak would of been this hard to pin down. This is after pressure testing, revving the motor to insure t-stat was wide open, etc. All good now and engine compartment coolant smell free and dry all around.
Good info quickster, thanks for following up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this exact Same issue basically. Had a loss of heat and coolant last month, dropped it off at a friends shop. Ended up having a cracked t-stat housing along with a stuck thermostat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found a leak at the firewall on the lower radiator hose. There are T connections that are plastic and crack. Its a slow leak. Replace both hoses while in there.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
I found a leak at the firewall on the lower radiator hose. There are T connections that are plastic and crack. Its a slow leak. Replace both hoses while in there.
Yep, I've heard of this issue before, it seems to be somewhat common.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kept my parts even though I only used the T-stat and new rad cap. All is dry around here for once and over flow bottle is the same day after day. I figure I'll need the parts some day anyway so might as well keep them on hand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
my 2010 hemi has had a faint coolant smell outside since the day I got it. I assume it has a pinhole somewhere in the radiator, but maybe i'll take a look at the t-stat housing and hoses also. thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just saw this post as I noticed mine is low. Some days when at the passenger side I hear a sizzle after driving. Haven’t found the spot yet. Anyone else here have that? If so where was your leak?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Some days when at the passenger side I hear a sizzle after driving. Haven’t found the spot yet. Anyone else here have that? If so where was your leak?
I have had the passenger sizzle since day 1 (2006). It is AC condensation draining, if you get under and look the AC drain tube is directly over the exhaust, so you get the sizzle just like on a skillet!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The ghost of things past is alive!
I had a puddle in the same area yesterday (your original post date, a year later), same issues. Amazing how the t-stat leak can climb uphill, and puddle in the water pump area.
My 4.7 jeep got a new water pump last year. The old one originally was dripping on the lower pulley, which was tossing a small amount of coolant right on to the swedged joint of the ATF coolant line. Red anti-freeze dripping from the line looks just like ATF. Nearly replaced that line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts