Jeep Commander Forum banner

Coolant Leek Easy Fix?

18K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
I have been adding coolant for the past month not sure where it was going. I finally decided to take the front passenger tire off. I removed the plastic pins holding the plastic wheel well shroud. I was able to watch the coolant run down from a plastic tee down the house and onto the ground. See image below.

It was leaking for a while because of the color of the silver heat-shield that fits over the hose is now all tarnished with an orange and red color.

Can I just replace the plastic tee or do I need to replace the hose too? Does the hose press fit into it? Any suggestions and part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a common leak point on the Commander. The OEM tee fitting is plastic and has a plastic ring as a clamp to hold the hose to the tee. Over time the hose shrinks and/or the plastic ring loosens and the seepage starts. The tee is not available separately but it could be replaced if you can find one. Goodyear makes a replacement hose assembly (google it)with metal tee and metal swage clamping the hose. I replaced my leaking OEM hose assembly with this one about a year ago. I believe you will find that replacing the hose assembly with the tee fitting already in place is much easier than trying to replace the tee and hoses separately.

#3 ·
If it's leaking from the area where the hose fits over the clamp because the plastic ring has stretched/loosened over time, maybe just replace plastic rings with metal hose clamps and see if that secures the hoses firmly enough to stop the leak.

If the plastic tee is damaged - and that's what's causing the leak, then you'll probably be forced to replace the whole assembly as bdalameda suggested.

#4 ·
I tried removing the plastic clamps/rings when I had these leaking. Very difficult to remove these as it seems these plastic rings are molded or some type of press/ heat process is used to install them at the factory. Not much working room either. I tried to use a dremel type tool to cut them off but it was just about impossible not to damage the hose ends. The aftermarket hose assemblies from Goodyear were not too expensive so I went ahead and replaced them.

#5 ·
I tried removing the plastic clamps/rings when I had these leaking. Very difficult to remove these as it seems these plastic rings are molded or some type of press/ heat process is used to install them at the factory. Not much working room either. I tried to use a dremel type tool to cut them off but it was just about impossible not to damage the hose ends. The aftermarket hose assemblies from Goodyear were not too expensive so I went ahead and replaced them.
Ahhhh....Good to know, thanks for clarifying.

#12 ·
Looks like the radiator may be leaking at the end caps. This is also a pretty common place for leaking to occur. Modern radiators have plastic end caps that are sealed with rubber gaskets and swaged in place. After repeated heating and cooling cycles these can leak. No option but to replace the radiator. I hate these new radiators that are made this way. Almost all new vehicles have them and I have replaced so many of them regardless of vehicle brands because of leaking end caps.

Make sure if you replace the radiator - don't buy a cheap replacement as there are some very inexpensive Chinese replacements out there that are very substandard. Almost all these radiators are made in China - I believe even the OEM units are but some are much better than others.

Dan

#17 ·
Wow, it's like you snuck into my garage and took a picture of my jeep. Mine started with a leaking water pump. I've been lurky as a guest on this forum, was able to install a new pump thanks to the advice here and a FSM. Thanks. But shortly after fixing the leak and new radiator cap. I developed a passenger side leak like you mentioned from the heater hoses. I was getting ready to buy replacements when I noticed this week the radiator is leaking in almost the exact place you described. I can't find any leaks near the inlet or outlet hose or radiator fill cap. So my question is, did you end up replacing your radiator? Was it difficult? I have the V-8 Hemi and all I've found is 4.7 and 3.7 radiator install videos. I'm wondering if I should just pay a mechanic to do it or takle it myself.

#19 ·
I wound up taking it to a mechanic to replace the radiator. It turns out there are two transmission lines that go to the radiator too. The mechanic suggested I replace them due to the corrosion.

The Jeep Commander is in top shape now. No drips or visible leaks.

#20 · (Edited)
That's good to hear mm.

Makes sense about the transmission lines - most vehicles I believe have one transmission line going to the radiator to cool the transmission fluid and another transmission line leaving the radiator taking the cooled fluid back to the transmission - at least that's my understanding, I'm no mechanic by any stretch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.