Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try and make something to protect the coolant lines in my front wheel well that were exposed during my lift work. The tire comes very close at full lock, and actually rubs the lines if I am at full lock in reverse (but not forward).

The supplies I used include nothing more than a $3 piece of steel from Lowes, a tin snip, hammer, wood saw, and drill. It's not quite done yet as it needs to be re-shaped slightly and the top drawn back (it can come back about half an inch when I push it). Here are the pics...

Lines exposed - you can see that I cut off about the leading 1/2 inch of the tray that currently holds the lines in place - to allow a tighter fit:

Piece of steel cut to approximate size (this represents about 1/3 of the size of the entire piece I bought):

Here is the piece after bending and drilling:

I bolted it on using the existing bolts underneath the line tray:

And from the bottom:

I then sprayed it with rubber undercoating, although I'm not sure how well that will adhere.

As I mentioned, I still need to draw in the top somehow - and I'm trying to avoid drilling into the body to do it. I still fully expect this to rub on full lock, but it will be better to rub against this than against the lines. It will also protect against rocks and other road junk that gets kicked up. In addition it covers the TPMS wireless module next to the lines, which I was also worried about.

This was dirt cheap and literally took me about an hour start-to-finish. We'll see how it holds up...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The coating stuck but it actually has helped identify the extent of the rubbing, since the rubber is wiped off anywhere the tire touches. It actually rubs more now than before, so I have been playing around with a couple of ideas to draw in the top (which has about one half to one inch of room to be pressed back to the body). I'm working on something that will utilize the current screw-holes for the TPMS sensor. Another option is to use some adherent (like lock-tight) to put a bracket on the wall, then bolt the cover to that bracket. I don't want to do this unless I am certain that it will give enough clearance, though.

If I get it done today I will post pics.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I hopefully resolved the remaining rubbing issue. First I cut more from the plastic liner to expose the TPMS module. I used the right screw hole on the module (with a longer screw) to draw in the top of a longer cover that I made.

Here you can see the additional length, and notice how much the previous one was rubbed.

Final product, which is considerably closer to the well wall than the first one. Hopefully this will do it - I'll update tomorrow after I test it out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks great, and a lot beefier than the one I made out of thin aluminum. Any approximate dimensions?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's 9 inches tall, 6+ inches wide, with a one-inch lip on the left side. The bottom extension is about 3", or long enough to comfortably reach the existing bolt holes.

I tested this out yesterday and have zero rub. I imagine I may get some if I'm off-roading and climbing rocks, but doing some curb-climbing in suburbia there was none.

One thing to watch is the top edge of the cover, which is tucked under under the liner. I dulled the edges of the cover with a grinder (they are a little jagged from the tin-snips) but the coolant lines are coming forward at the top of the wheel well and are up against that edge. I want to put something there to keep it from cutting into the lines over time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey dug up this old thread. Has anyone else made anything for the lines, or moved them? Any update on how this one worked out.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Right on, thank you, I would not have thought of this

·
2,248 Posts
Jon, (a49erfan) certainly could have used this mod. He lost about 2 gallons of antifreeze after breaking this line at Camp Commander this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts