Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
A quick question, how many cooling fans do you have in your commander? 4.7 2007 Limited?
At this moment, i have a big fan with clutch which runs with the belt and that's it. My car overheats at idle, and the gauge drops down as soon as i pick up speed.
Someone told me that i am suppose to have an electric fan too in between clutch fan and the radiator.

Can someone please confirm that? And if this is true, can you also share a part number.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird. I just have an electric fan.
i feel like i should have an electric fan since clutch fan spins with the belt so it makes sense that it wont cool the car down at low speeds.

does your commander overheats at all? Is it 4.7? 2007 limited?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 with the 4.7, I have both a clutch fan and an electric fan however the electric isnt working so I have the same issue as you with overheating at idle especially of I'm running the a/c.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 07 with the 4.7, I have both a clutch fan and an electric fan however the electric isnt working so I have the same issue as you with overheating at idle especially of I'm running the a/c.
hey man! Thank you for replying. I am pretty sure now that this is the issue. Since I didn’t know anything missing, i spent A lot of money on different things. Rad serviced, new coolant, thermostat, waterpump, new clutch and all!

you would do me a big favor if you could make a short video of the setup! I wanna see how that electric fan looks! Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fan has a viscous clutch that may have gone bad, not uncommon here in sunny south Florida. A cheap fix that we used was getting a flex fan, the blades change angles with RPM and no moving parts.
I have a new to me 07 and am learning about it. My first one was an M38 followed by a 66 Wagoneer, 88 Grand Wagoneer and currently a 96 Grand Cherokee. One thing that I have learned is that Jeep is apparently composed of a lot of other manufacturers parts which can be changed mid production run. I don't know what fan came in the 96, it doesn't have the switch for an electric fan but someone before me fixed it with one and wired it into a 3-way marine switch in the dash that you have to remember to turn on. It's a hunting/mud/swamp truck so I may fix it later, maybe not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its fixed. There was indeed an electric fan behind the clutch fan like @Fenrir mentioned. Replaced the fan and its all fixed now! thank you very much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts