Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I flushed my coolant a week after purchasing my 07 Commander replaced both upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat then filled it with coolant from the dealer and followed the full procedures. For some reason every now and then it starts to get got but not all the time. Coolant level hasn't changed in over a week. To me this appears to be a flow issue but the pump appears fine. I opened the radiator cap and level seemed low. This appears to be the pump any other ideas?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You have air trapped in the system and it need to be bled out. Try parking with the from end raised up on a curb or hill and let it sit for a while and when cool fill the radiator.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have air trapped in the system and it need to be bled out. Try parking with the from end raised up on a curb or hill and let it sit for a while and when cool fill the radiator.
You probably did not bleed the air out of the system. See this thread on how to change coolant.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/23-regular-service-maintenance/17966-how-changing-coolant.html#post209762

Yeah I actually used that exact thread to make sure I did bleed it out. I'll have to bleed it again now since I've opened it up though. After checking a few threads and vids on they old you tube I noticed all the vids on the 4.7 had clutch fans. Mine only came with an electric. Should it have both or one? This seems dumb to me to even ask but it's worth a shot, can't imagine why it wouldn't be put back on. The nut for where it would go doesn't appear like one has been there. Thoughts? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after seeing the thread for where a clutch fan would now in available daylight, you can see a thread there with nothing on it makes me believe one should be one there. Going to go by dealer later and check.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well talked to the parts department at the local dealer and there is no clutch fan for my model year. Moving on No engine codes or anything. Only other options left can be the sensor, tensioner for the pulley, the electric fan itself and water pump. Hmmm...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I picked up a water pump and temp sensor. May try to install later on today or tomorrow for sure.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Well I picked up a water pump and temp sensor. May try to install later on today or tomorrow for sure.
I'd definitely replace the water pump.

Seems like the most likely culprit to me after everything else you've done and described.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd definitely replace the water pump.

Seems like the most likely culprit to me after everything else you've done and described.
Water pump it was. After removing it you could then hear noise it shouldn't make lol. Did the temp sensor as well. Now just to run it a few more times get any potential air out and it'll be good. After firing it back up you could tell it ws much happier running lol.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Water pump it was. After removing it you could then hear noise it shouldn't make lol. Did the temp sensor as well. Now just to run it a few more times get any potential air out and it'll be good. After firing it back up you could tell it ws much happier running lol.
That's good news, glad to hear it's fixed and running cool again.

I'm not surprised to hear that the water pump was the problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good news, glad to hear it's fixed and running cool again.

I'm not surprised to hear that the water pump was the problem.
Yeah it's a good feeling, just glad I didn't use it much. Got a feeling this is why it was traded in too. Now to cross my fingers and hope it's all good and nothing else was damaged previously. I've got a feeling I'm ok but time will tell.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Yeah it's a good feeling, just glad I didn't use it much. Got a feeling this is why it was traded in too. Now to cross my fingers and hope it's all good and nothing else was damaged previously. I've got a feeling I'm ok but time will tell.
Probably so.

I had a laundry list of issues with my Commander that slowly revealed themselves within the first 6 months of ownership.

You can read about the issues I had here:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

It can be frustrating, but, when you get everything running and working right it's a great feeling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably so.

I had a laundry list of issues with my Commander that slowly revealed themselves within the first 6 months of ownership.

You can read about the issues I had here:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

It can be frustrating, but, when you get everything running and working right it's a great feeling.
Thanks and your right on the "x" factor as you put in the other thread. I always knew this too. I know that these models between Jeep, Dodge ECT have cooling issues which is why I attacked that area first as it leads to the most expensive problems lol. That is my concern but it's always a risk and had an idea before purchase as to what a replacement motor would cost. Hopefully one is not needed lol. Seeing how mine was just over a 100k, I knew more than likely all maintenance had been avoided and part of why it was traded in.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Thanks and your right on the "x" factor as you put in the other thread. I always knew this too. I know that these models between Jeep, Dodge ECT have cooling issues which is why I attacked that area first as it leads to the most expensive problems lol. That is my concern but it's always a risk and had an idea before purchase as to what a replacement motor would cost. Hopefully one is not needed lol. Seeing how mine was just over a 100k, I knew more than likely all maintenance had been avoided and part of why it was traded in.
Yep.

I had a coolant leak - which fortunately I discovered pretty quickly, but, it just turned out to be a bad radiator cap.

Not as easy to diagnose as you might think though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep.

I had a coolant leak - which fortunately I discovered pretty quickly, but, it just turned out to be a bad radiator cap.

Not at easy to diagnose as you might think though.
Did see that surprising those are an issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm just wondering, did you use a genuine Mopar water pump? Or an aftermarket one?

Also, about the mechanical fan and clutch. Those are present on Commanders with the "towing package," and are listed as "heavy duty engine cooling." I'm not sure if the option was available separately. I'm pretty sure the fan clutch and fan are the only parts that are added/different on the "heavy duty engine cooling" option.

Does anyone know (like for sure) if the electric fan activation temperatures are the same for base (no mechanical fan) 4.7L V8's and for the "heavy duty engine cooling" ones with the added mechanical fan and fan clutch.

The reason I'm asking is that ours has the tow package (and the mechanical fan and fan clutch in addition to the electric fan). We rarely tow a trailer and would never tow a trailer without some advance planning. I'm seriously considering just removing the mechanical fan and fan clutch. It's just making noise and soaking up power. If the thing will run in "normal driving" without the extra load of a trailer without overheating, I'm thinking there's a maybe bit of power, and probably a bit of fuel economy in removing the fan when it's not absolutely needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just wondering, did you use a genuine Mopar water pump? Or an aftermarket one?

Also, about the mechanical fan and clutch. Those are present on Commanders with the "towing package," and are listed as "heavy duty engine cooling." I'm not sure if the option was available separately. I'm pretty sure the fan clutch and fan are the only parts that are added/different on the "heavy duty engine cooling" option.

Does anyone know (like for sure) if the electric fan activation temperatures are the same for base (no mechanical fan) 4.7L V8's and for the "heavy duty engine cooling" ones with the added mechanical fan and fan clutch.

The reason I'm asking is that ours has the tow package (and the mechanical fan and fan clutch in addition to the electric fan). We rarely tow a trailer and would never tow a trailer without some advance planning. I'm seriously considering just removing the mechanical fan and fan clutch. It's just making noise and soaking up power. If the thing will run in "normal driving" without the extra load of a trailer without overheating, I'm thinking there's a maybe bit of power, and probably a bit of fuel economy in removing the fan when it's not absolutely needed.
Personally I couldn't tell you the difference it does or does not make for the activation temperatures. I would be reluctant to change anything drastically like removing a component as each setup has specific engineering design in mind. Any increase in power, mileage would be minimal and probably not noticable to be honest. These newer cars today are super sensitive and any changes may negatively effect how your vehicles runs esp when you consider the computer these days. I would replace and maintain what ya got if it were mine.
As for my water pump, nope not from the dealer they wanted almost $230. I didn't get a bottom dollar one though there were a few options one with a year warranty the other with a lifetime for a $10 difference for under $60 total. The difference between the two was a plastic or metal impeller. It appears my problem with cooling isn't over yet as my heater core might be going out too. Right after buying it we had some heavy rain. I attributed it to the clogged drain tube from the sunroof that I did find was clogged. It appears there was more to it that I did not realize lol. In to my next repair lol. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So still having some overheating issues from time to time, talked to dealer today they have no idea what they are doing and are total idiots lol. Pretty sure it just needs a clutch fan that the car didn't come with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you replaced the pressure cap?

@BigBlue is right about that being a possible cause, and about it being often misdiagnosed.

That's one of only three parts I'll "just throw at" a car/truck/Jeep with symptoms without any further diagnostics. The symptom for a bad pressure cap is coolant loss with or without overheating. The overheating comes when enough coolant boils off that it's very low.

You can pressure test the cap and find out how bad it is. But you'd be hard pressed to spend over $8 on a good quality, name brand pressure cap. I don't think even a genuine Mopar cap is over $8 at "list price," and it's a "wear item" with a limited service life.

I replace my pressure caps every 2 years or every 30,000 miles. I consider it a wear item. I'm probably a bit OCD on that, but when I was growing up, our family vacations were spent traveling the country with a travel trailer behind a big sedan or station wagon, and we had too many vacation days ruined by overheating from what ultimately turned out to be a bad radiator cap. Often it was misdiagnosed as a costly repair by questionable shops (maybe just taking advantage of "out of town tourists"). I pretty much consider a new radiator cap part of "preparation for a long trip," as well, or at least I carry a spare on long trips.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you replaced the pressure cap?

@BigBlue is right about that being a possible cause, and about it being often misdiagnosed.

That's one of only three parts I'll "just throw at" a car/truck/Jeep with symptoms without any further diagnostics. The symptom for a bad pressure cap is coolant loss with or without overheating. The overheating comes when enough coolant boils off that it's very low.

You can pressure test the cap and find out how bad it is. But you'd be hard pressed to spend over $8 on a good quality, name brand pressure cap. I don't think even a genuine Mopar cap is over $8 at "list price," and it's a "wear item" with a limited service life.

I replace my pressure caps every 2 years or every 30,000 miles. I consider it a wear item. I'm probably a bit OCD on that, but when I was growing up, our family vacations were spent traveling the country with a travel trailer behind a big sedan or station wagon, and we had too many vacation days ruined by overheating from what ultimately turned out to be a bad radiator cap. Often it was misdiagnosed as a costly repair by questionable shops (maybe just taking advantage of "out of town tourists"). I pretty much consider a new radiator cap part of "preparation for a long trip," as well, or at least I carry a spare on long trips.
Yeah I already did that unfortunately. The cooling system needed attention on a few items I replaced but probably not all of the. The electric fan is the only item I haven't. I thought maybe head gasket but the chemical test came back negative 2 times on it. Not even a hint. So here's what I think is going on with it. We buy the car only drive it with A.C. on. That kicks the fan on automatically. Heating problem never happened because of this during test drives, more than 1 here. Now in come doing my maintenance, change upper lower radiator hose thermostat and dealer coolant. Start driving it with no A.C. on heat only to help system air itself out, bleed and so forth. Start having some heating issues. No A.C. on the electric fan does not run on high and low it just kicks on via temp sensor for which ever it's set at. Without the missing clutch fan it will / did not keep up for long. I'm going to run by a dealership that has a couple Commanders with my style flex fuel 4.7 v8 pre 2008 and back and look at theirs after work. Pretty sure mine is just missing it from prior owner. Gonna test my theory on the AC triggering the fan from the get go later today or tomorrow. I'll let y'all know what I find.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts