Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Modifying;

Any thoughts on why the rear A/C is not blowing cold air with setting on max cool and fan on high? Seems to be blowing not very cold air, more like coolish air..

Front AC is blowing very cold air compared to the rear.

Dealer thinks is low freon, which means a leak. I think there is an issue between the front and back plumbing.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You have turned on the AC at the front panel, correct? There is more than one HVAC system control head. I have the simpler manual control head. It may be different for those with the automatic control heads.

For the rear HVAC to work, I have to enable it by pressing a switch in the front. In addition for the rear AC to work, I have to press the AC switch in the front to turn on the AC for the whole vehicle.

The AC are NOT separate independent systems, it is one AC system with a 2nd evaporator added to it. So the rear AC can't run if the front AC is NOT on.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mongo, do have the switch on for both front and rear A/C.

Was at the dealer today for the P73 flash, they looked and say a low freon, so a leak. They want $200 to search for leak.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Makes sense, with the longer lines and the smaller evaporator in the rear, if the system is low, both would suffer a performance hit, but while the front would probably still blow cool, the rear might NOT be able to cool any noticeable amount.

$200? That's why they're called Stealerships. I would take it to an AC shop. On another AC thread I talked about the Front Evaporator, how I had a leak and could NOT find any signs of the leak because the evaporator is so buried.

So if you can't find the leak, suspect the evaporator, more than a few Commanders have had them leak. The drain for the evaporator is over the transmission, you can NOT see it, its obscured by the trans. Any good AC guy, is going to deduce, that if they looked everywhere and can't find the leak, then the leak is likely the evaporator.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mongo, yes read your post. More to the story: I was looking to purchase this XK, but did not.

Mechanic recharged the system, stated the schrader valve was leaking. The rear A/C got down to 45 deg F, front as well. So the recharge fixed the temp issue in the back, but I didn't trust that there is no leak still in the system, time will tell on that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts